My Feedback

Started by darklordabc, October 15, 2017, 08:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darklordabc

I've read a lot of reviews and I have seen that the game devs respond to a lot of reviews or steam threads so I thought I would give my opinion too.
First I pirated the game too see if I liked it, and I did, so I bought the game on steam, you can check my profile here: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198054179075.

* Too easy, add time limits to levels: There has been dozen of reviews with this exact same complaint and lots of forum posts and the game developers don't seem to apprecitate this point, I have seen a lot of "But you can try to do it faster if you want difficulty", this is a bad response IMO, lots of players want the game itself to be challenging without adding some self-imposed difficulty. The funnest map for me, and the hardest, was the campaign map where you had to destroy the weapon before it blew up the universe. That was the ONLY map that I felt was challenging and it was the funnest, looking back, it was only hard because of the time limit aspect. In every other map you can just wall up, build lots of generators and then use berthas to clear the map, *yawn*, but with a time limit you can't do that. I suggest having a time limit mode, where the developers set a time limit for each map for what is "par" for the course and players can choose to play on easy time limit or hard time limit, that would add a lot of new dimension to old levels.

* Not enough information about units/buildings: Its too hard to learn what something does, you should be able to mouse over a unit or building for a few seconds for extra information to pop up. There should be an encyclopedia type feature in the menu too, describing enemies, creeper units, and all the other gameplay elements.

* I know multiplayer has been talked about, but a coop mode would be insanely easy to make, just add another cursor putting stuff down, and don't change anything else about the gameplay.

* Campaign is too short. There is so many extra levels but I don't know where to start, I tried a couple, but they seemed stupidly easy compared to the campaign. It would be nice if there was a curated list of levels by the developers that you could start immediately after the campaign.

Builder17

Quote from: darklordabc on October 15, 2017, 08:01:54 AM
* Too easy, add time limits to levels:
There is many very hard maps outside Arc Eternal. For example Colonial Space has some expert difficulty maps that might be even too hard for you. :)

* Not enough information about units/buildings:
Would this help at all? http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw3:units It has much information.

* "I know multiplayer has been talked about, but a coop mode would be insanely easy to make, just add another cursor putting stuff down, and don't change anything else about the gameplay."
That sounds good idea IMHO, not sure how easy it's to make.

* Campaign is too short. There is so many extra levels but I don't know where to start, I tried a couple, but they seemed stupidly easy compared to the campaign. It would be nice if there was a curated list of levels by the developers that you could start immediately after the campaign.
Well, most of Tormented Space and Prospector Zone levels are hard. Alpha sector not so much.

GoodMorning

It is good of you to give constructive feedback.

As to time limits and difficulty:

It may be a sampling bias, but the forum sees more posts objecting to the timer on missions such as Farbor than any other built-in map. To the point where there is an official guide to skipping it through save copying.

Difficulty is deeply subjective, and I know that my own skill has markedly increased. Parts of Tormented Space are known to be 100% impossible. Jovencoting is an early example. Colonial Space contains many harder maps. Timers are generally considered more trouble than they're worth in CS, though they are easily done. Other maps have ramping threats.

With that said, I have seen similar complaints to yours before. But I have played counterexample maps. And if you don't find something you like, you can try your hand at mapmaking. :)

Multiplayer is extremely difficult to make in a meaningful way.

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

GameGibu

Not to mention that KC has put out another whole game since this one, and is currently working on a sequel to this one.

As mentioned many a time in a certain cancerous thread which will remain unnamed, If you've got ideas, chances are that they can be implemented via CRPL. As above-mentioned, timed levels aren't all that welcome in Colonial Space, and I know that from experience. I once made a map so difficult that I had to tone it down and send it off to another user (with much better skills than I) to validate it for posting. That one had a time limit imposed by disintegrating terrain.

And if you need more proof that CRPL can do almost anything, how about this project I'm currently working on:
Spoiler
Yep. That's a Snowspeeder. Full controls including altitude.
[close]
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

planetfall

Quote from: GameGibu on October 18, 2017, 05:17:41 AM
And if you need more proof that CRPL can do almost anything, how about this project I'm currently working on:
Spoiler
Yep. That's a Snowspeeder. Full controls including altitude.
[close]

Cute.
Spoiler

[close]
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

GameGibu

Quote from: planetfall on October 18, 2017, 06:32:16 AM
Cute.
Spoiler

[close]

Noice. I never was much one for those darn node-pathing algorithms. I just turn simple ideas into simple realities... Or, in the case of the snowspeeder here, a simple idea into a complicated but portable reality...

I don't mean in any way to imply that I'm better than anyone. I's just showin' what me be doin' with mah CRPL. And ye demonstrate whut yew can dew with it as whale.
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

darklordabc

Yes, I have recently seen the sequel, I think the developer has given up on this particular version. I don't expect any major features or updates.

stdout

"Given up"? CW3 is near perfection. There's nothing to fix, and he's already well into development of CW4.