Custom Map #1364: Black temple 2

Started by AutoPost, August 18, 2012, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TypoNinja

Fascinating, I've never seen creeper anywhere near that deep in the wild though, by like a digit. The closest I've ever seen is in rooms (Like this map uses) that contain just a crazy strong AC emitter and a Maker or two on vacuum mode with no way in or out, they seem to stabilize at 2000M even with crazy crazy strong emitters.

Now that I've beaten this map though, time for my favorite past time. Edit the Drones out and see if the map is beatable with just AC/Makers :D

teknotiss

one of my maps use Creeper to AC as a help for slower players (creeper collider i think?), others have used it extensively.
it's annoying when you don't realise a square is approaching critical mass and it wipes out all of your reactors :o, but a fun game mechanism nonetheless  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Bongo

I liked it but it was a little sloggy. Took me 70+ minutes.

Only thing I didn't like was it seemed a little too cramped and confined. Also after I had about 100 Makers I had the Anti-Creeper pile up and switch about 4 times while waiting for those ridiculous 25 grounds to dig out.

Shimizu

I might just be being impossibly thick, but after using the rift to reach the right hand side phantom coil, it seems I cannot go anywhere else.  I don't see any other rifts anywhere on the map, and I can't build anything at all.  I even tried destroying the 1 beacon to see if there was a 1 beacon limit or something, but alas no.  So, can't reach the ac things in the middle.  Can't do anything or build anything.  I like the idea of a map not being a complete 'mass units and zerg' fest but this seems a bit silly.
Meow?

teknotiss

hey shim, dig out the gateway in the top right and it digs out the solid terrain, nothing else either so no worries about a drone rush. that should get you going  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Shimizu

I did that the first time but it just sat there, defiantly not digging.  I restarted and this time it worked.  *shrugs*
This going to take a while....
Meow?

clbuttic

Quote from: teknotiss on August 20, 2012, 05:03:47 PM

AC and C are switched to the other state when density reaches 2147M.

An integer overflow? Ooops. I noticed this in the past, but thought I was just going mad. I'd guess the secret is to not go ape on the emitters. Thanks!

Also, I've noticed a global limit on drones, something around 255. Can anyone confirm?

koker93

Shimizu - you have to turn off your first maker as soon as it clears the very first creeper.  the gateway cant dig out to the reactor through AC. 

Overall a great map - I am a fan of long slogs, especially maps that are AC heavy.  My only complaint - the 1450m creeper cell 2-3 rooms before the end outside of the creeper flow.  It could have at least been in the center subcell so it wouldnt take forever to blast.  That one cell added 10 minutes to my time, I missed it until the end...

Bongo

Quote from: clbuttic on August 22, 2012, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on August 20, 2012, 05:03:47 PM

AC and C are switched to the other state when density reaches 2147M.

An integer overflow? Ooops. I noticed this in the past, but thought I was just going mad. I'd guess the secret is to not go ape on the emitters. Thanks!

It's not a bug it's a feature! :P

Actually it's not the Emitters that do it it's the fields. No Emitter can produce Creeper if the local density is above 2 billion (at least not in the map editor). You need class 4 Fields pushing Creeper into a small area. Only then can it 'flip' into the opposite type.

Does this happen on 64 bit systems? I guess not since someone would have compained by now.

TypoNinja

It is that the game can't count that high and rolls over? I noticed from the editor that AC is literally negative density creeper, so if its the same entity that would explain the roll over. Would it still do the flip if AC were a distinct entity rather than negative density creeper? Or am I just mis-understanding what's happening?

Grauniad

The creeper/anti-creeper rollover is a design feature. It is irrelevant to 32-bit or 64-bit systems since the number representation remain the same on both systems.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

toastkid

Quote from: Strubbel on August 19, 2012, 01:41:08 AM
Quote from: chwooly on August 18, 2012, 10:20:50 PM
So before I down vote on this, How do you get past the launcher room?

I got stuck at the same place ;)

You have to build a beacon to reach the AC vacuumers in the lower middle, after that just build AC makers en masse ;)

I don't understand what you're saying here - i'm stuck trying to get the launcher and can't make enough AC to do anything: i've got two vacuuming below the emitters and others making AC in the path leading to the room with the launchers, but it's just a stalemate.  I must be missing something - any idea what?  Grateful for any advice!

toastkid

Never mind, i'm a dumbass, i just saw the vacuumers you mentioned.  doh :)

Meander

Excellent map, thanks for creating and sharing, I really enjoyed playing it!

Tromain

Oof 2 hours for my attempt, love the map, makes a nice change having to think it through instead of just zerg with blasters and launchers.