Custom Map: Creepolic Jump

Started by AutoPost, August 07, 2020, 09:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Creepolic Jump

Author: Blackstripe

Desc:
This dam used to provide power on this planet, but now it's full of creeper.

Since I've been making maps that deny 'short-cutting', I figured I'd make one designed around Finding them! This is for you, cvtfwlbt, Saca, and AnonymEus!!! Hope you enjoy.

cvtfwlbt

Oh, I had not read the description: Bracketed Outputs surely has short cuts, but I couldn't be bothered, and also here I just took the long way around, so there's room for improvement... that low right area is the hardest you've come up with yet, you are refining your CW map making craft! :)

Blackstripe

Quote from: cvtfwlbt on August 07, 2020, 03:50:43 PM
Oh, I had not read the description: Bracketed Outputs surely has short cuts, but I couldn't be bothered, and also here I just took the long way around, so there's room for improvement... that low right area is the hardest you've come up with yet, you are refining your CW map making craft! :)

I noticed a theme among the maps that are labeled as Hard or longer playtime, most of them involve using the Crazonium walls to cut power-grid lines, and forcing people to have to leapfrog turret-collector over and over down a narrow tunnel.  To me, that's more tedious than difficult.  With my Bracketed  Outputs map, the real challenge isn't in reaching the emitters/totems, it's the initial push to get access to the Reactors.  If you don't get your power stabilized somewhat quickly, you won't be able to maintain enough firepower to keep the Creeper out.

Sure, I could make a winding maze map that only has enough room for one unit at a time to progress down it, disable mortars, and spread the totems across the far reaches of it...  it would take a long time to beat, but it wouldn't be hard...  just tedious.

cvtfwlbt

Quote from: Blackstripe on August 08, 2020, 03:15:03 AM

Sure, I could make a winding maze map that only has enough room for one unit at a time to progress down it, disable mortars, and spread the totems across the far reaches of it...  it would take a long time to beat, but it wouldn't be hard...  just tedious.

Yes, and there's plenty of purely labirinth maps already; but tight corridors/spaces as an element have always been used with brilliant results, with or without crazonium walls. There's a lot of great map designs to take inspiration from, and with your building experience you will surely come up with many enjoyable ideas. ;)

BTW, this one is actually very good!