Custom Map #617: The Wall. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, February 05, 2017, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #617: The Wall

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 160x300

Desc:
An inpenetrable wall stands before you. What do you do? #NoPRPL Inspiration from Nova79

Stickman

So, after some straight-forward stuff I've ran into the wall (get it?)

I'm here (hope this works, tinypic didn't like this one):
Spoiler
[close]
A hint, maybe?

UPD:
Figured it out. Somewhat. I've tried once again to execute a particular move, to find out if I did something wrong the first time and the second time everything worked. No idea why I lost three-quarters of my attacking force the first time.

Map:
Usual Sorrontis evilness is present. Weirdly, suiciding your fleet against emitters is not required. Unusual and interesting start. I found the gaps in the wall to be narrower than I would like them to be. Small ships' green silhouette looks like small alien scull, cute.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

mzimmer74

I wouldn't mind a hint as I'm struggling at the same point you were.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Stickman

Quote from: mzimmer74 on February 05, 2017, 05:13:58 PM
I wouldn't mind a hint as I'm struggling at the same point you were.

Spoiler

Group omnis at rightmost land protrusion. They would kill the enemy ship.
Clear struc at the top a bit.
Put amp gem into land production and move/build speed. Benign emergent won't hurt too, I think.
Put amp gems on two Bot ships (with port). Put them somewhere between the top and second-to-top unlatheabale emitter so particles expire right in front of them.
Move Chasseur to right. It should be sellf-sufficient.
Under cover of Chasseur - move/build other two Bots with ports to the right. If you position them right at the edge of first two ports resupply range, they would be safe from particles from unlatheable emitters.
Move Naughty, Bots with lathe, HQ and Hunter to the right. Probably in this order.
Now you should have small sanctuary of ships at the upper-right corner. They should keep particles at bay.
Turn on particle beams and try to slowly approach upper vulnerable emitter. Particle beams should keep particles away from your ships if you use all three big ships.
Keep Hunter hugging the right map border, Chasseur to left with one lathe ship in between them and Naughty behind them all. If everything is ok, particles would slowly rise to your lathe ship through particle beam barrage. Once your lathe ship loses it's lathe, ram it into particles and use knockback of the explosion to clear space for another lathe ship. HQ is a backup plan.
After emitter dies, go for Progenitor. I recommend to ram doppels with Hunter.
[close]
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

D0m0nik

Wow, this was tricky at the end. I did pretty much the same as Stickman but I lost most of my fleet to take the first emitter, but then, as usual, I was in a rush!

Spoiler
I used the Chasseur as a ramming device against the spawners and amp gemed the Bolo
[close]

This was one of my favourite of your maps for custom ships, loved them all. I was going to comment on why you had named a ship after a French sauce but a quick google ifnromed me of the other meaning! Also loved the description of the Bolo!

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on February 07, 2017, 03:36:02 PM
This was one of my favourite of your maps for custom ships, loved them all. I was going to comment on why you had named a ship after a French sauce but a quick google ifnromed me of the other meaning! Also loved the description of the Bolo!

I am French after all :P Also, I have the yaeger and the hunter. so chasseur goes well :P
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Nova79

i like the way you used my idea for map but after i fliped all emitters i could not beat the last phase like stickman Picture showed on this page.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Nova79 on February 08, 2017, 07:01:22 PM
i like the way you used my idea for map but after i fliped all emitters i could not beat the last phase like stickman Picture showed on this page.

you gotta hold a section of the wall with the Bolo (or so I did). Then rush your entire fleet over the line. It's a tough thing to do with so little room :) It was done purposefully.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

ColonelSandersLite

General thoughts:
I definitely enjoyed this map.  It's very tightly put together.

Most of the ship designs are good, though I'm not a fan of the way the bot variants had the same footprint.  This makes it difficult to tell which ship is going where sometimes.

As a general  complaint, I'm not a fan of the way the author gives locked technologies.  This technique makes it less obvious that you actually have some of those techs, unless you're a veteran and quite observant.

My Rating:
9/10

My times:
42:00 (roughly)
23:08
20:31 (current high score)

Difficulty:
Very Hard, especially the last half of the map.

Sorrontis

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on February 08, 2017, 10:42:28 PM
Spoiler
General thoughts:
I definitely enjoyed this map.  It's very tightly put together.
[close]

Most of the ship designs are good, though I'm not a fan of the way the bot variants had the same footprint.  This makes it difficult to tell which ship is going where sometimes.

As a general  complaint, I'm not a fan of the way the author gives locked technologies.  This technique makes it less obvious that you actually have some of those techs, unless you're a veteran and quite observant.

Spoiler
My Rating:
9/10

My times:
42:00 (roughly)
23:08
20:31 (current high score)

Difficulty:
Very Hard, especially the last half of the map.
[close]

re: Bot footprint - good point. didn't notice

re: locked techs. I wish there was a way that provided techs could be shown to have an amp without allowing players to remove them.

however, thanks for the review!

GoodMorning

My opinion:

The start had a good feeling as power built up.

I left the HQ and MK7s on the left, as they held the particles back for the ports. A few bot-bombs for the upper Emitter, the Doppel spawner, and careful positioning let the progenitor be taken. I did spend some considerable time trying different tactics.

Good map, and requiring actual thought.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.