Custom Map: Nice Job 24: The Astronomer

Started by AutoPost, July 07, 2010, 03:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 24: The Astronomer

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Probably the easiest map in the Nice Job series. All techs available from the start, a lot of space to build your structures and enough time to prepare yourself. Better use it well, because the existence of our entire solar system is at stake!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 24: The Astronomer
Difficulty:
Medium
Creeper type:
Land & Air
Remarks:
Probably the easiest map in the Nice Job series. All techs available from the start, a lot of space to build your structures and enough time to prepare yourself. Better use it well, because the existence of our entire solar system is at stake!

Description:
On a warm summer evening in 2061 you take your state-of-the-art telescope to study the return of the comet Halley.

When you were a kid and first saw this comet by the naked eye in 1986, you decided to become an astronomer. And so you did; you even became world's most famous astrophysicist, advising many influential world leaders.

Finally you will be able to see this phenomenon again. With your mini Hubble telescope you are able to observe our solar system by daylight.

While searching the sky you suddenly notice something odd: what is happening to the sun? It seems to be growing! Is the end of the world coming sooner than expected?

You quickly call the international space station to warn them for this dangerous threat. Hopefully they will be able to do something about it....

Download page:
Nice Job 24: The Astronomer
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RichieRich

Thanks UpperKEES, that was fun.

Way overbuilt this first time. Almost too much free space. :P

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on July 07, 2010, 07:34:42 PM
Thanks UpperKEES, that was fun.

Thanks.

Quote from: RichieRich on July 07, 2010, 07:34:42 PM
Way overbuilt this first time. Almost too much free space. :P

Yeah, I did the same thing, so 1-2 minutes faster should be possible.

I was just playing your new map, but had to start over....

Miss Melissa

nice map, i like the way it looks. actually thought i beat ur score and was waiting for the portal to open up.. soon realized the totem on the sun. :(  its ok tho, im happy with the score anyways.  :P

peter

A nice fun relaxing map.  Could have done it a lot faster if I had restarted the level each time something did not work, but once I had the main power and defences done it was easier to continue and get a bad time. lol

NNR_Alex

like you said this might be the easiest of your maps, just make sure you get up on jupiter, i'm sure not everyone has to and can defend their starting position if they build the right way, but i like knowing i have a very tall island to keep me safe for a while (and once i got a mortar up possibly forever).  I almost blew it a few times because of poor positioning of my SAMs but otherwise this was pretty relaxing, it just takes a while to beat, this is one map of yours i have no problems going back into, to try and improve my time.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 08, 2010, 12:43:06 AM
nice map, i like the way it looks. actually thought i beat ur score and was waiting for the portal to open up.. soon realized the totem on the sun. :(  its ok tho, im happy with the score anyways.  :P

Thanks. Indeed a nice score and I'm sure you would have beaten mine when you had seen that totem a few minutes earlier.

Quote from: peter on July 08, 2010, 01:18:29 AM
A nice fun relaxing map.  Could have done it a lot faster if I had restarted the level each time something did not work, but once I had the main power and defences done it was easier to continue and get a bad time. lol

Yeah, restarts help a lot. I had to restart myself when my mortar came alive a few seconds too late.... Thanks for playing again Peter!

Quote from: NNR_Alex on July 08, 2010, 02:24:41 AM
like you said this might be the easiest of your maps, just make sure you get up on jupiter, i'm sure not everyone has to and can defend their starting position if they build the right way, but i like knowing i have a very tall island to keep me safe for a while (and once i got a mortar up possibly forever).  I almost blew it a few times because of poor positioning of my SAMs but otherwise this was pretty relaxing, it just takes a while to beat, this is one map of yours i have no problems going back into, to try and improve my time.

Spoiler
You can actually hold off the creeper from the left for quite a while with a well placed blaster on Neptune. I move OC to Jupiter as well, but not before I've filled up all space behind it.
[close]

Fisherck

I loved the map. I made a few maps that were planets in the solar system. I found planets that were mapped out in a mercator projection, because they worked well with the map editor (700 by 480).
But I never was able to fit the whole solar system on a single map because of the difficulty of making it (size, rings, distance...) :o. But what you did was great! ;D It showed all the planets and worked well with the game play, making it easily on my top 5 favorite maps that I have played. :D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Wow, thanks Fisherck, that's nice to read! :) I wanted to create a map of the solar system for a long time, but encountered the same problems as you experienced until I found a good image on the internet. Not sure about the scales though, but hey, it looks nice. ;D

I could have made this map a little harder, but I figured it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a bit easier map between the tough ones.

Toaster

Good map for me, Enough space to build and no puzzles, I did miss the totem in the nest of emitters, and had to regroup for the assault on the sun...

UpperKEES

Quote from: Toaster on July 08, 2010, 09:05:50 PM
Good map for me, Enough space to build and no puzzles

Yeah, this one is pretty straight forward. Enough space in space makes sense, doesn't it? ;)

Quote from: Toaster on July 08, 2010, 09:05:50 PM
I did miss the totem in the nest of emitters, and had to regroup for the assault on the sun...

Reading the comments can really pay off! :P

Quote from: Miss Melissa on July 08, 2010, 12:43:06 AM
... was waiting for the portal to open up.. soon realized the totem on the sun. :(

DethbyIT

Thought I posted this yesterday, but may have submitted it incorrectly.

A LOT of fun to play - thank you for the time spent putting it together.

I am brand new to Creeper World (and will check the FAQ's), but why aren't my scores being listed after completing a map?

Thanks,
dbit

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 26, 2010, 01:52:12 PM
Thought I posted this yesterday, but may have submitted it incorrectly.

I am brand new to Creeper World (and will check the FAQ's), but why aren't my scores being listed after completing a map?

Thanks,
dbit

Are you using the latest version? Only with version 0380 you'll be able to post scores for custom maps. See here for more info.

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 26, 2010, 01:52:12 PM
A LOT of fun to play - thank you for the time spent putting it together.

You're welcome and thank you as well. :)