A Tragedy Forgotten - A Five Part Map Series By Ebon_Heart and PeterPower

Started by Ebon Heart, January 24, 2012, 02:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

This topic is for a custom map series PeterPower and I are working on, Dragon Slayer's Academy (name subject to change) A Tragedy Forgotten. (name was changed) We're sort of working on the whole series at once, which makes it interesting. I'll be updating this topic continuously as we make more progress on the maps, so check back often! Basically, this series starts when a princess is kidnapped (I've always been one for cliches) by an evil dragon spirit. You must set out on a quest to vanquish the spirit and bring back the princess. The art, including creeper drawings, custom tiles/characters/backgrounds are done by PeterPower. The fields/general terrain layout/plot are done by me. We're both contributing to ideas for maps, as well as the look and feel, and general balancing. Between the two of us, we hope to bring all the members of the cw2 community a very enjoyable series. I thought it'd be interesting to start this topic now, so you can all see how it progresses. The First map is submitted, and I've now added a suggested soundtrack to each map. Thanks to 2b3o4o for telling me how to get the soundtracks to loop, so you don't constantly have to tab back to youtube to enjoy the music. :D

Title:
A Tragedy Forgotten Part 1-The Burning Castle
Description:
The first part of our soon to be trilogy series. It's a normal day at the castle-which-is-not-named-yet when suddenly, a giant dragon swoops in and kidnaps the princess, setting fire to the castle as it passes.
Progress:
Done! Go here to access the map. http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld2/viewmaps.php?embedded=false&gameVer=&mapid=768 and don't forget to put on the music. :D have fun.
Suggested Soundtrack:
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=EptSSXNHIfg
Sneak Peak:

looking at this screenshot, I realize I have a few changes to make to the castle. Just ignore those for now.

Title:
A Tragedy Forgotten Part 2-A Quest For a Sword
Description:
After extinguishing the fire at the castle, a wise mage informs you of a mystic sword that has been locked away for centuries. It is your only hope of defeating the dragon that has kidnapped your princess, so you set out for it immediately. When you get there, you must best the spirit which has been charged with guarding this mystic blade. The spirit will test both your mind, and body, to determine if you are worthy of wielding this magical weapon.
Progress:
plot and concept ironed out. Terrain layout pretty much done. Fields are uber complicated, and may take a bit more time. Big plant head now moves towards the ship, and shoots stuff at you as it does so. I need to tweak drones, add some more fields up top, create a few more trigger events, and program the dragon. Then after some testing, it's ready for release. I'm aiming for next weekend.
Suggested Soundtrack:
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=d2hRTLdvdnk&feature=related
Sneak Peak:
Contest Information:
Due to the extremely good reviews Part 1 of this series has already gotten, we've decided to add a bit of extra fun to this map. We may continue to do this for similar maps if the contest goes over well. This goes beyond bragging rights, but a chance to be mentioned in the next map. All you need to do is figure out what's going to happen next. Obviously you know from playing Part 1 that Leoros has gone off to find a sword... but what specifically do you expect to happen in this episode? Send a message to me (Ebon_Heart) And a bcc to PeterPower with what you think is a basic summary of the plot for this part of the series. Don't post it here. I'll give you a hint to help get those cogs a 'turnin. We're introducing two 'new' characters in this mission. They were mentioned in Part 1, you should know their names. So bonus points if you can tell me who they are (this will be a major factor to figuring out the plot)
First up is this mystery girl:

And next is this mystery boy:

Send us a message if you have any idea who these two might be. And then tell us where you think the plot will go from there. The More details the better! Whichever message we get that is closest to the right answer when the map is published is the winner. The winner will be announced in the closing conversation of the map, so keep an eye out for it! (if I put it in the opening conversation, their submission may spoil something) I may release a few hints over time, if no one can get... even close. If you make multiple guesses, your most recent one will be counted.
Do not post your guess here. Send me a message or you will be disqualified!
(Please don't spam my inbox.)

Title:
A Tragedy Forgotten Part 3-Remembrance
Description:
Upon touching the mystic blade, you remember parts of your past you had suppressed. You must then survive these memories, and re-assess your view on the current situation. Can you trust even your most cherished memories?
Progress:
Concept came from me rambling last night. Some terrain layout done, as well as a few tests for possible creeper effects.
Suggested Soundtrack:
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=NIag_bNglpA&feature=related
Sneak Peak:
Probably won't come until the release of A Tragedy Forgotten Part 2, so as to avoid spoiling the story too much.

Title:
A Tragedy Forgotten Part 4-Vanquishing the Beast
Description:
After claiming the mystic blade as your own, you set out to kill the foul demon that has kidnapped the princess. This is going to be an all out boss battle, featuring every twist and gimmick in the book, so get ready. It's going to be a bumpy ride.
Progress:
All the math is done in a notebook sitting right next to me on my desk. The dragon is drawn for this one (same dragon we're using in Dragon Slayer's Academy Part 1) and it should be a pretty epic boss battle. The Dragon will move all over the map, horizontally, and vertically, and at the moment, is only about 1/10 of the way through the total path I have planned for it. Not to mention attacks, and programming triggers on the emitters. This map makes my head hurt just thinking about it, I'm not going to lie. But it should be interesting in the end. And I actually have a presentable sneak peak for this one!
Suggested Soundtrack:
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=IEeEUPrIDao&feature=related
Sneak Peak:

Title:
A Tragedy Forgotten Part 5-Credits
Description:
This is mostly a just for fun map we're planning, in which you have completed your quest, and are back at the castle. Featuring animated credits of creeper and anti creeper... should be very enjoyable to watch. Will also finish up the plot.
Progress:
Concept came from me rambling last night (again). Some initial planning is done, but nothing besides. It'll take place in the same spot as Dragon Slayer's Academy Part 1... but without the dragon.
Suggested Soundtrack:
http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=14ZkxaV7fQQ
Sneak Peak:
I may release something soon depending on how much I get to play with this later tonight. :D trust me, this map will be worth playing, it'll tie up the plot I'm sure you're all dieing to read about.

A note. Please read the plot. I've put a lot of work into it, and I'm sure you will not regret reading it. My goal for this series is to make someone cry by the final mission.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Gabar

This looks veeeery interesting. I can't wait to play it. The Sneak Peek looks amazing, good work.

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

J

Now I know why you wanted to create a dragon ;)
Looks very interesting

Ebon Heart

I got a rough draft of Dragon Slayer's Academy Part 1 up just so I could give you the sneak peak. The dragon runs epicly now.

2b3o4o

Congrats on finally fixing your problem with fields, can't wait to play it! :D

Ebon Heart

Quote from: 2b3o4o on January 25, 2012, 03:19:06 PM
Congrats on finally fixing your problem with fields, can't wait to play it! :D
Hah, I wish I'd finally gotten my problem with fields fixed. :P I've just found enough work around to make it work fairly nicely. It works so much better when moving 1 subcell/frame, though. (see Dragon Slayer's Academy Part 1)

PeterPower

Originally, I figured we'd be done in a few days, but it has been a huge amount of time designing these levels. A week so far at least. The creeper art will be a major feature in these levels and it's such an interesting brush to paint with. It is great fun drawing the pictures and having Ebon_Heart bring them to life. I'm lucky if I can animate a mouth moving up and down. haha. I am astounded by the animations and effects Ebon has created in this series so far.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: PeterPower on January 25, 2012, 10:58:28 PM
Originally, I figured we'd be done in a few days, but it has been a huge amount of time designing these levels. A week so far at least. The creeper art will be a major feature in these levels and it's such an interesting brush to paint with. It is great fun drawing the pictures and having Ebon_Heart bring them to life. I'm lucky if I can animate a mouth moving up and down. haha. I am astounded by the animations and effects Ebon has created in this series so far.

I think we both underestimated the size of this project... lol. It started as one mission, then I decided to stretch it out into 3 to get some buildup, and then I fell in love with the plot, and it may well turn into 5. lol. I have this bad habit of creating more work for my self before I'm even finished with what I'm working on. (look at my halted First Encounters series) But regardless, it'll be a very cool series, and it's the end result that counts. :D

2b3o4o

You guys are doing a much better job than I could ever do! O no, I forgot to add pin fields! :P

lich98

Quote from: Ebon Heart on January 25, 2012, 11:16:52 PM
I think we both underestimated the size of this project... lol. It started as one mission, then I decided to stretch it out into 3 to get some buildup, and then I fell in love with the plot, and it may well turn into 5.
5 na it might be more than that by the end, just knowing you.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ebon Heart

Quote from: lich98 on January 26, 2012, 06:13:20 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on January 25, 2012, 11:16:52 PM
I think we both underestimated the size of this project... lol. It started as one mission, then I decided to stretch it out into 3 to get some buildup, and then I fell in love with the plot, and it may well turn into 5.
5 na it might be more than that by the end, just knowing you.
nah, with the complexity of these maps... I'm not going over 5.

Ebon Heart

I feel the need to announce PeterPower and I have decided to call this series, "A Tragedy Forgotten" this was the subject of intense debate, and based on the plot, this is what we came up with. Thoughts/opinions/questions/comments/concerns?

PeterPower

Personally, I enjoyed the intense debate. I think it went something like.. E: Hey let's change the name. P: OK.
We wanted to have the first level ready for Friday, but it now appears it might be Saturday or Sunday... We just keep adding more and more evil to it...

Ebon Heart

First level is submitted! And I'm going to go ahead and add a, "suggested sound track" section to each map. This should give you a (very) general idea of the proposed look and feel of the map. And if you play the sound track while playing the map, you just feel on top of the world. (tested and confirmed with level 1, it's epic beyond words.) If we do this right, the maps will be epic beyond words as well. :D