Unapproved Map Discussion

Started by knucracker, April 14, 2010, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

You apparently only have to collect the techs (like on my last map).

Thanks for your question; I just had a brain wave and was able to solve this map..... in 1 minute! ;D

So I unrejected and approved it.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Blaze

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 03, 2010, 01:17:20 AM
You apparently only have to collect the techs (like on my last map).

Thanks for your question; I just had a brain wave and was able to solve this map..... in 1 minute! ;D

So I unrejected and approved it.

Ask a question and give an answer? Cool...

Okay no more off-topic from me!

Karsten75

Description: Just made it, could be interesting.

Rejection message: Thank you for your interest in Creeper World. I suggest you try and *play* your maps before submitting them. That would expose many basic problems with your maps.  This map, for instance, has emitters set so low that they will never overflow to erode the green walls. The Pink (Crazonium wall) prevents any connection to the totem. So, in short, your map can never be completed. If you don't think I'm right, please try and play your map. If you beat it, submit the score and I will approve your map.

mthw2vc

Quote from: Karsten75 on June 04, 2010, 02:27:42 AM
*snip*
This map, for instance, has emitters set so low that they will never overflow to erode the green walls. The Pink (Crazonium wall) prevents any connection to the totem. So, in short, your map can never be completed. If you don't think I'm right
*snip*
You can bridge across crazonium, even with the wall in front of it that thick. You just have to use the city. See the attached picture, which was done in the attached map.

Charge the totems on the side with the walls first, though, or this will not work.

Karsten75

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 04, 2010, 08:44:46 AM
Quote from: Karsten75 on June 04, 2010, 02:27:42 AM
*snip*
This map, for instance, has emitters set so low that they will never overflow to erode the green walls. The Pink (Crazonium wall) prevents any connection to the totem. So, in short, your map can never be completed. If you don't think I'm right
*snip*
You can bridge across crazonium, even with the wall in front of it that thick. You just have to use the city. See the attached picture, which was done in the attached map.

Charge the totems on the side with the walls first, though, or this will not work.

Did you see that the inside of the walled area in the map image I posted was not completely flat, ridged to prevent connectors and covered in creeper?

mthw2vc

All right... How about now? The emitter can be capped if it never reaches the walls and the terrain isn't rough enough to be a problem.

Karsten75

OK, I'll release it. But still, having to fly two units in tandem....  not sure that is what the author intended.

MABsharpshot

Quote from: Karsten75 on June 04, 2010, 10:41:22 AM
OK, I'll release it. But still, having to fly two units in tandem....  not sure that is what the author intended.

I never intended for this map to actually be posted, i uploaded it when it was still in beta mode, in my actual finished version, the Creeper is much stronger, the Cranzonium wall is smaller and there is a single spot in the small island to place a relay, i must ask, was it difficult? It was my first map..... If you dont mind, ill be uploading a better version of it, just remove this one

Karsten75

Quote from: MABsharpshot on June 04, 2010, 03:28:47 PM
I never intended for this map to actually be posted, i uploaded it when it was still in beta mode, in my actual finished version, the Creeper is much stronger, the Cranzonium wall is smaller and there is a single spot in the small island to place a relay, i must ask, was it difficult? It was my first map..... If you dont mind, ill be uploading a better version of it, just remove this one

Why do you upload stuff you don't want posted? We're not mind readers.

Once posted maps are usually not removed.

A stronger version might be equally easy to beat now that the mechanism is revealed. Or impossible.

I think you should start work on a different map, this one's done.

MABsharpshot

Im sorry about that, i was sleepy. Ill begin work on a new map. The new stronger map is actually easier, now that you can connect things. Ill put it up and you decide.

ontheworld

the 'upload a score' rule is a pain in the ass for me since i'm not a quick player,the reason i have stopped posting maps too...

Karsten75

Quote from: ontheworld on June 05, 2010, 10:41:58 AM
the 'upload a score' rule is a pain in the ass for me since i'm not a quick player,the reason i have stopped posting maps too...

It's not an enforced rule, we still approve maps without a score, it just takes longer and is more subject to error than maps with a score.

UpperKEES

Quote from: ontheworld on June 05, 2010, 10:41:58 AM

It's indeed no rule to upload a score but the rules are (as states above the upload form):

Please note these rules!
***You must have played your map before submitting it.***
***You must confirm that the map can be won.***

Submitting a score is the easiest (and actually only secure) way to conform to these rules.

How would you like it when 80% of the maps uploaded were never tested once, but just submitted after clicking some terrain elevations and adding some random emitters? 99% of these maps would be completely uninteresting of unfinishable.

If you can't beat your own map, don't submit it.
If you're too lazy to test it, don't create maps at all.

I really wonder why certain map makers think that other players like to do the work that they should have done themselves, especially because these maps are real crap most of the time.

I have quite some experience with map making (I never started doing this before I knew I was at least a good player), but the first beta version of every new map I made also sucks! I keep making adjustments until it's beatable and fun to play (at least for average or good players, depending on my intended difficulty).

So hopefully you all understand why this rule is in place and that it really contributes to the quality of the game and the fun that people have playing them.

ontheworld

yes, i understand, but i always beat it as a deployed map after wich i have to beat it again to confirm it. Oh well...

UpperKEES

I know there's a lot of confusion about it, but you CAN submit a score even before uploading your map!

This is why I changed my testing a bit during the last few weeks: when I'm in the final stage of testing a map, I save it to the custom map folder and play it from there. When I'm satisfied with the results (and my time), I submit the score immediately. This way I don't have to do it again when I publish my map (often weeks later). The score stays in the database, even though there's no corresponding map yet. Just don't make any changes to your map any more, because this will change the ID of your map and the score will be lost.