chronom in general

Started by thepenguin, August 23, 2010, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

does anybody else think that the chronom maps aren't much of a challenge?

there is pretty much one strategy that you can apply to them all

EDIT: not saying they are bad, just wondering if you prefer custom maps
We have become the creeper...

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on August 21, 2010, 08:36:21 PM

The idea behind the chronom maps is to give the Creeper Nation a singular map that everybody will play every day.  Not some giant time commitment, just a little thing to take 5-15 minutes of time. 

So yea, they are not super-difficult. Except some maps for some people. :)

thepenguin

hmm, reading the forums while playing the game at 2x speed might be the problem

UpperKEES

Just play them on Double Down....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

probably I don't like them because they are like the conquest maps :(

NNR_Alex

Personally I think they are a good idea, I mean there were a few comments recently about how few of the custom maps look like the original story/conquest maps, so this way you can't say there's a shortage of them.  The only downside i suppose is not having as many surprises that other maps can have, like some of UpperKEES unique emitter mechanics.  At least no one should be pulling their hair out trying to beat these maps.

Aurzel

they're a nice distraction if you're looking for a quick game, if you want something long find one of the toughies in the custom maps

thepenguin

ok, I guess chronom maps are good after all

RandyTravis

Quote from: NNR_Alex on August 28, 2010, 09:46:25 PM
Personally I think they are a good idea, I mean there were a few comments recently about how few of the custom maps look like the original story/conquest maps, so this way you can't say there's a shortage of them.  The only downside i suppose is not having as many surprises that other maps can have, like some of UpperKEES unique emitter mechanics.  At least no one should be pulling their hair out trying to beat these maps.

Although sometimes you do pull your hair out thinking "How in God's green ninety hells did UpperKEES beat that in 10 minutes, it took me like half an hour!"

UpperKEES

Quote from: RandyTravis on September 15, 2010, 09:16:55 PM
Although sometimes you do pull your hair out thinking "How in God's green ninety hells did UpperKEES beat that in 10 minutes, it took me like half an hour!"

Keywords:
- Solution at first glance
- Estimate of what will be needed (in terms of weapons and energy)
- Build order
- Collector layout (minimal overlap)
- No deficit
- Push hard when attacking
- Finish by bridging

RandyTravis

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. I've been trying the bridging, that helps a lot. I need to work more on judging when I have enough energy built up to press an attack

UpperKEES

Yep, that's it and playing a lot helps for that. However your second run will always be better and the same goes for your third attempt. So I guess the most important keyword is: patience. ;)

RandyTravis

Haha true. I've been working on that. Even seeing such low times and high scores to let me know it's possible is a boost. I've been trying random maps and historical dates I like to see if I can get good times on my own, without seeing someone else's score to think "Oh. 1:25? How did I miss that fools mate?"