How to get rid of Documents folder

Started by alterratz, January 09, 2016, 05:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alterratz

I love the game, but one thing that is really annoying is the ~/Documents folder. CW3 keeps creating it, no matter what i set in ~/.config/creeperworld3/GameSettings.xml:

<UseCustomDataPath>True</UseCustomDataPath>
  <CustomDataPath>/home/bernhard/.config/creeperworld3/userdata</CustomDataPath>

It finds the Files (it remembers my progress) but it keeps creating ~/Documents/creeperworld3/data which is very annoying. How do I get rid of this Folder?

Best regards,
Bernhard

knucracker

There is likely no way, other than me changing the code.  Btw, are you on linux or OSX?  To help me with Particle Fleet, where would you prefer the default storage location be?  Is there a standard that has semi developed?  There sure isn't on windows, and it's really irritating. 

Builder17

It seems ~/.config is hidden folder in Linux.

alterratz

Quote from: virgilw on January 09, 2016, 07:05:33 PM
There is likely no way, other than me changing the code.  Btw, are you on linux or OSX?  To help me with Particle Fleet, where would you prefer the default storage location be?  Is there a standard that has semi developed?  There sure isn't on windows, and it's really irritating.

Yes ist linux (debian). Using .config/creeperworld3 would be nice, since .config has developed as a de facto standard in the last years, starting with gnome and later kde.

However, it is just the Data files which end up in Documents. The Configuration files are already in .config/creeperworld3.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

(Farbor survivor, (barely))

GameGibu

May I just say (and I may be completely missing an existing forum post on the subject) that I personally prefer for level editing purposes only that I enjoy having the game content folder in My Documents. It's an easy access area.

That said, as you are mentioning Particle Fleet, which looks like an amazing game in the making, I would, if I ever manage to find any more earth-money, I would probably be in agreement with most of the techie players (which is to say almost all of your playerbase) to ask for a way to change where content (i.e. editable maps, transcripts, friends lists, etc..) is stored.

Food for thought.
-GameGibu

mmmmmmm, food...
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆