Problems since latest upgrade of Adobe AIR

Started by Timwi, June 12, 2010, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Windows 7 64-bit here. I've not upgraded based on adverse reports here.

Ragewind

Hi everyone,

I'm playing on a 32-bit Windows XP and I'm also experiencing these performance issues after having upgraded to the latest AIR version. From my experience it seems that the problems become nearly non-existent when not playing in fullscreen mode - but who wants to play in that stamp-sized window ;-) It might be coincidence, but the performance problems might be related to transparency or entering build mode for new buildings, since these "control freezes" happen mostly when the area of effect highlight is being shown. Just an observation, might be unrelated - I had no troubles at all before the update though.

Take care,
Rage~

Mare

Quote from: Toaster on June 16, 2010, 09:40:21 AM
I am also seeing degraded gameplay since the AIR upgrade. It seems like about halfway through a map, the mouse clicks are delayed. I am going to try the game reload suggested by UpperKEES. will do tomorrow already late for work.
Yeah i have noticed it as well, although no lag will happen if you PAUSE and build, it still is annoying to have that problem.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

knucracker

I can reproduce this behavior on windows 7 32bit, but not on windows 7 64bit.  I also only see the problem when running full screen.  If I make the window large, but not full screen I don't see the problem.

For kicks, I tried the same experiments on XP mode in windows 7 (the virtual PC version of 32bit XP that comes with windows 7).  With AIR 1.5 things work fine in a window.  With AIR 2.0.2 they run slower... even when in a window.

So I don't know what it going on... it sure looks like the new acceleration in AIR is working out to be deceleration.  I'll be following up on and watching the Adobe AIR forums to see how this evolves.  Hopefully, they will develop a fix quickly.

Karsten75

You might even post your findings and submit your code for them to troubleshoot?

Toaster

Problem solved for me, I went to filehippo.com and downloaded version 1.5.3 of Adobe AIR and all is as it was. I am running a 32 bit OS (XP) it could be a 32 bit issue as posted by virgilw, but I don't know. I seems like Adobe would know about that. lots of 23 bit machines out there. Anyway. I am good.

Kharnellius

I have Win7 64, and experiencing same problem.  Playing on a laptop with almost no gfx card so I have a feeling that's a big part of it, as Adobe finally offloads some of it's work to the GPU. (finally)

Unfortunately, that makes things worse for me (and others with weak gfx laptops).

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears to be related to mouse click capture, not gfx cards.

UpperKEES

Well, that at least eliminates the 32-bit theory...

Edit: deleted assumption about OS
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Wonderful... so AIR 2.0.2 it is just whacked on pretty much everything....
I'm still not sure why I don't see the problem on my w7x64 box.  It's a brand new machine and is pretty high performance so maybe that is masking the slowdown.  I'll have to check more carefully.....

SPIFFEN

I get asked to update the air every time i start the game ,
it's not often , so thats might be why i didnt get asked as fast as others =P

But has it been improved , so it's " safe " to upgrade it yet ?
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

No, unless the version number hasn't changed the update is the same and shouldn't be installed.

You can also check the Adobe forums to see whether they came up with some new info.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Echo51

As for as it seems to be, playing in window on a macbook 13" shows no significent slowdown over previous version of AIR

Never used fullscreen, so no idea if its slower or faster there..
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...