Upgrade the editor

Started by archn, February 16, 2010, 11:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archn

I would really like a "fill" feature and a "square" feature and a "line" feature.. maybe even a "circle" feature.  Options to fill the square automatically or only the outside.  Of course you can define how wide the marker is for the line/square etc.  And fill would be good in case I want to fill entire map to be level 5 to start, I can hit fill and choose level 5 and click in the map.  Let me know if you need clarification.

UpperKEES

Yeah, this would be a nice feature.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

teengamer

I third this motion, esspecailly since i would use the fill feature like 100 times a map :)

jecowa

I wonder if "fill" and "circle" features are hard to program. When I want to make circles in CreeperMap, I open up a graphics program and draw a circle the size i want, then copy it pixel by pixel into CreeperMap.

mthw2vc

Quote from: archn on February 16, 2010, 11:40:58 AM
I would really like a "fill" feature and a "square" feature and a "line" feature.. maybe even a "circle" feature.  Options to fill the square automatically or only the outside.  Of course you can define how wide the marker is for the line/square etc.  And fill would be good in case I want to fill entire map to be level 5 to start, I can hit fill and choose level 5 and click in the map.  Let me know if you need clarification.
There's already a square feature. It's just well hidden.

Aurzel

hardly well hidden, its right there even if the button is a bit small, and as for people that have trouble at the beginning of the map just hit 10 times size and square and everything gets filled in a few seconds, though after that a fill feature would be handy for maps in progress

Timwi

Personally, a feature that I would have liked to see in the editor is the ability to select a region within the map and move it around. Without this, it is very hard to move a certain terrain structure around - you have to make sure that you know exactly where you want it right at the start.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Timwi on February 22, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
Personally, a feature that I would have liked to see in the editor is the ability to select a region within the map and move it around. Without this, it is very hard to move a certain terrain structure around - you have to make sure that you know exactly where you want it right at the start.

Good point.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

We asked for cut-n-paste a long time back.

ThirdParty

(Bump.  I just submitted a map that was full of circles.  It was a huge pain to make--I had to use Jecowa's method of drawing the map in a bitmap editor, temporarily setting it as the background, and tracing it with the size-1 brush.  And there was no hope of making significant terrain changes while testing it.  The process could have been much easier.)

It really shouldn't be hard to add some basic bitmap-editor-style tools to the terrain editor.  In rough order of descending usefulness-to-difficulty-of-implementation ratio:

• Add a circular brush shape.  (This would result in much prettier terrains than the existing "square" and "diamond" options do, with less need to fool with them using size-1 brush.)  While you're at it, other brush shapes such as would also have their uses.
  • Add an "undo" command.
  • Add a rectangular selection tool with "copy" and "paste" commands.
  • To the five terrain height options, add "raise" and "lower".  Brush somewhere with the "raise" tool and whatever existing height each point under the brush has will increase by 1 if possible.  Don't change the height of any given point more than once per mouse-button-up event.  (I know this sounds complicated, but I think it would make it much easier to create natural-looking terrains.)
  • Add a polygon tool which lets you place arbitrarily-sized polygons by dragging from one point to another.  Polygon choices should include at least "rectangle" and "ellipse".  "quarter circle", "line", "rectangle with rounded corners", and "diamond" are less important but could still be useful at times.  Ideally would have "filled" vs. "hollow" option and "draw from corner to corner" vs. "draw from center to corner" option.
  • Add a "fill" tool.
  • Add some macro commands: "eliminate cliffs" (lowers any point of terrain which has an adjacent point more than one level lower than it) and "eliminate noise" (lowers any point of terrain which has three or more adjacent points lower than it).