Custom Map #675: Buried Alive

Started by AutoPost, January 09, 2012, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuadDib

Its a really great map, very original, and pression kept high troughout the whole game. I destroyed as many emitters as possible while going down, this makes the defense part much easier when you reach the bottom.

SmileyCoder

Quote from: Kithros on January 10, 2012, 10:57:18 PM
Quote from: Dalas on January 10, 2012, 10:45:05 PM
I found that setting the repulsors by the 2000K emmiter to long buys you enough time for the nullifier to go off.  Just a tip for people struggling to beat this map (including me) and something to keep in mind for future maps.  Great map though!
Hm, I actually didn't realize that, I should have (completely unintentional) - but oh well, since the map ended up being a lot harder than intended apparently it's not too bad.

EDIT: Incidentally, I did actually test this at one point - but the emitters intensity used to be higher and I tinkered around with it a bit and the initial creeper densities there, and I forgot to check again later, oh well.

I liked that bit, I thought it was intentional :P It does make it quite a bit easier, to start by offing that emitter.

I also killed most emitters going down, except the rightmost one, which I killed once I got to the dark beam. I "freed" or activated the top most emitter, so that I could have "light" for building shields. With most layers of shield, I injected the cells with Anti-creeper to prevent the dig packets getting through. I used the Conversion bombs to "save" or prolong the life of my beacon by using it close the last line of defense (shield) and then rapidly building shields before the created anti-creeper was beaten down.

Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Kithros

Quote from: SmileyCoder on January 11, 2012, 08:25:19 AM
Quote from: Kithros on January 10, 2012, 10:57:18 PM
Quote from: Dalas on January 10, 2012, 10:45:05 PM
I found that setting the repulsors by the 2000K emmiter to long buys you enough time for the nullifier to go off.  Just a tip for people struggling to beat this map (including me) and something to keep in mind for future maps.  Great map though!
Hm, I actually didn't realize that, I should have (completely unintentional) - but oh well, since the map ended up being a lot harder than intended apparently it's not too bad.

EDIT: Incidentally, I did actually test this at one point - but the emitters intensity used to be higher and I tinkered around with it a bit and the initial creeper densities there, and I forgot to check again later, oh well.

I liked that bit, I thought it was intentional :P It does make it quite a bit easier, to start by offing that emitter.

I also killed most emitters going down, except the rightmost one, which I killed once I got to the dark beam. I "freed" or activated the top most emitter, so that I could have "light" for building shields. With most layers of shield, I injected the cells with Anti-creeper to prevent the dig packets getting through. I used the Conversion bombs to "save" or prolong the life of my beacon by using it close the last line of defense (shield) and then rapidly building shields before the created anti-creeper was beaten down.

Well, the main reason I didn't actually want it to be possible is that I don't like making people micro pre-built buildings right at the beginning of the map - I don't think killing that emitter should be too gamebreaking either way though, it might mean you need to use 1 launcher less when you get to the bottom (in my particular case, I actually had enough time to kill that emitter using the dark beam before the tiles to the left got dug through, and then repositioned the dark beam to a more defensive position afterward)

EDIT: On a tangent, it's a good way to show how you can nullify fairly strong emitters using very little energy if you  use repulsors properly.

Dalas

WOOT!!!!!  I got the launchers and blasters through the mirco rift before it was destroyed!  I WILL beat this map without using ANY crystals. Great map by the way.

Kithros

Quote from: Dalas on January 16, 2012, 01:02:58 PM
WOOT!!!!!  I got the launchers and blasters through the mirco rift before it was destroyed!  I WILL beat this map without using ANY crystals. Great map by the way.

Hm, that wasn't supposed to be possible, but you'll need the energy to maintain them regardless - something that isn't easy on this map.

Incidentally with being able to nullify the bottom-left emitter right away there's a new strategy possible in this map from starting from the left side of the map and digging up the blaster to defend yourself - it's probably harder than playing conventionally though.