Modding existing maps? Is this possible?

Started by Otterbear, November 13, 2013, 08:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterbear

I'm kind of confused as to where to post this question.

I have found some very good and, challenging maps on my journeys within CW3. I would love to make changes to them and try them out again. As I am not very good at map making yet; it would be nice to tweak maps that are already very well made. If possible it would be nice to import them into the map editor. This would also be great to tweak those "Impossible" maps to something more challenging but do-able. Is this a possibility? Is it ever going to be a possibility? Of course there would need to be a standard way of preventing "cheating", by say changing the internal name to stipulate that the NEW map is a copy or is in fact a "NEW" map IE:NOT the original. I don't want to take any of the credit for someones work, but would love to be able to play around with them.

Grayzzur

It's certainly possible. Create a new project, then replace the "save.cw3" file in that project with a .cw3 file from the map you want to edit, renamed to "save.cw3". This is often used to extract the scripts from a map and see what kind of CRPL code someone has used, but it lays the whole map out to you in the editor.

Colonial Space is not out yet, but I believe you would need to finalize the map to upload it, and it would get a new ID. There should be no worries about messing with the original's scores.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Otterbear

Fantastic! Thank you so Greyzzur! Awesome help.

One of my biggest gripes atm are maps where they wont allow you all the usable tools. Granted the campaign needs these limitations to add realism, but some of the free-play maps would be a lot of fun if you could use, for instance the Terraform tool and other such. It gives you so many ways of playing the same map.

Now to figure out how to use the project editor. Can't seem to find any of the saved games/planets. :(

Grauniad

In your Documents folder, look for the CreeperWorld3 sub-folder. Expand that and compare with mine. A short amount of cogitation will lead you to find the relevant sub-sub-folders with save files for the various sectors in the game.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

pawel345

For DMD maps: on the edit map tab press the Create Project form Map
For other maps-Create a project in the editor then rename the save like Grayzzur instructed. The saves and projects are in Documents->Creeper World 3->World Editor (the ones you need to replace) and it the map you want to edit is in the game from the begging it will be somewhere in the data folder. If you downloaded the map from the custom map section just use the file you downloaded.

Otterbear

Yea! That did it. I didn't know about the "My Documents" storage.
It took me a min or so, but I got it figured out. This is Great! Thanks again Grayzzur, Grauniad, and Pawel345!  :D