Using AC emitters and spores to make interesting maps

Started by Mimsy, October 18, 2013, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mimsy

Any good suggestions on ways to make it fun? It's kind of like adding an NPC to fight with you. I was thinking you might be able to get anticreeper emitters on one side of the map and regular ones on the other, and it could be like a big battle? Or maybe islands or craters, sort of making safe zones.

I made one map (a little too easy) that fires a bunch of AntiCreeper spores every 30 seconds. And then I disabled shields. >:D The AC spores act almost like a shield, protecting your relays from light creeper, and you could use sprayers to absorb spare for free AC for bombers. There were no ore deposits.
Momo on the DMD scores.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Mimsy on October 18, 2013, 09:27:32 PM
Any good suggestions on ways to make it fun? It's kind of like adding an NPC to fight with you. I was thinking you might be able to get anticreeper emitters on one side of the map and regular ones on the other, and it could be like a big battle? Or maybe islands or craters, sort of making safe zones.

I made one map (a little too easy) that fires a bunch of AntiCreeper spores every 30 seconds. And then I disabled shields. >:D The AC spores act almost like a shield, protecting your relays from light creeper, and you could use sprayers to absorb spare for free AC for bombers. There were no ore deposits.

You need to play redlemon's 'Bardel' - it's in the Alpha Sector.

I beat my head against a wall for a week with that ^$$%((*^% map, and while I beat it eventually, red tells me I did it the hard way!

Back to your original question - I've used a couple of AC ideas in my maps.

You can include a friendly emitter that you can either 'milk' for its AC, or destroy and utilize the resulting PZ which can be useful for Beam defense or reactor energy output etc.

Either way, have fun - if you're having fun playing your maps, then others will too.

Maybe not everyone, but you'll find your niche.

That's how/why Creeper World came into existence - Virgil made something that he enjoyed fooling around with, and it turned out that we all liked it too...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

teknotiss

can you cave? i thought it's only enemy emitters in DMD, i'll have to check and i'm mid game as is!
friendly spores can be fun, but mixing with enemy spores means your beams shoot the helpful ones down too, turning the beams on and off is annoying.
friendly runners are useful but obviously localised
just mess about with the settings, complete a map and name it, then let us all know, we'll play it if we like it, and others may be inspired  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

cooky713

What if nullifiers converted an emitter into an AC emitter?

I've also always like the idea that every time creeper destroys an unit, the emitters get a bit stronger.

Relli

Quote from: cooky713 on December 29, 2013, 10:29:17 AM

I've also always like the idea that every time creeper destroys an unit, the emitters get a bit stronger.
Both of those suggestions seem possible with CRPL without too much trouble. And thinking about it, it would work with spore towers as well, I believe.
I can envision a regular but tough map, with little optional side islands where everything you destroy converts to help you push the main front harder. Anyone feel like making that happen? :D

Clean0nion

Quote from: Relli on December 30, 2013, 12:23:54 AM
I can envision a regular but tough map, with little optional side islands where everything you destroy converts to help you push the main front harder. Anyone feel like making that happen? :D
I'm working on a similar thing now: Eiqualagua. Consists of six islands, only two of those are compulsory to defeat. The others offer upgrades and such to assist in the push to the seventh island, and to the other optional islands.

Quote from: cooky713 on December 29, 2013, 10:29:17 AM
Nullifier converts an emitter into an AC emitter:
Spoiler

$emitAmount:20
$delayFrames:60

once
  Self "main" "CustomEmitter" SetImage
  Self "main" 0.7 dup SetImageScale
endonce

CurrentCoords <-emitAmount SetCreeperNoLower
<-delayFrames Delay

:Destroyed
  CurrentCoords "CRPLCORE" CreateUnit ->UID
  <-UID "(the name of this script).crpl" AddScriptToUnit
  <-UID "(the name of this script).crpl" "emitAmount" <-emitAmount -1 mul SetScriptVar
  <-UID "(the name of this script).crpl" "delayFrames" <-delayFrames SetScriptVar

Warning: if you nullify the resultant AC emitter, it reverts back into a normal emitter.
[close]

Lost in Nowhere

If you don't want that to happen, set the new core's CONST_NULLIFIERDAMAGES to false.
Don't die! :)

Clean0nion

Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on December 30, 2013, 11:24:49 AM
If you don't want that to happen, set the new core's CONST_NULLIFIERDAMAGES to false.
You'd also have to set CONST_COUNTSFORVICTORY to false in that case.
I did also try to make the other thing that cooky713 suggested, but there were too many lists and I ended up losing half of it after my computer ran out of charge.

ThirdParty

Quote from: cooky713 on December 29, 2013, 10:29:17 AMWhat if nullifiers converted an emitter into an AC emitter?
I actually did something like that in my map Natlan, which you can find in Colonial Space.  It worked pretty well for reducing clean-up time after the player had already clearly won.