Idea for endurance mode

Started by GoodMorning, March 25, 2016, 05:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

I can see the attraction, but it's not enough to make me mod the game.

I have a thought this inspires: build a 1-Emitter map, the purpose of which is to win after as long as possible. The twist? The Emitter gets progressively more powerful. Eventually, it's pumping out over 2K per frame, if you can last that long. If you think it worthwhile, I'll CRPL it in the next few days.

This topic has been split from a map discussion thread here:  http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=20326
  -K75

A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

D0m0nik

I am sure someone has already made a map with emitters that increase in strength, I can't remember who though.

GoodMorning

It's not a complex idea, I just wondered about the idea of defining success as the longest time.
I believe that there was recently a similarly unusual map, on the premise of "lose to win"?

GoodMorning

Yes, I know that it's an easy script. My question was about an endurance-type "how much can you handle" map.

The idea is that it will start easy, and the idea is to make it as long as possible (i.e. as hard as possible) for yourself before still managing to win. This, to be a different kind of challenge.

D0m0nik

If ultimately you need to be able to defeat it then the better of us should be able to last indefinitely. The answer could be that you have one CN and if you lose them the win state is triggered with the best player being the one that lasts the longest. The map however would have to be in unwinnable by conventional means perhaps incorporating spawning emitters. It would still be a tricky balance though

GoodMorning

I was thinking of it becoming impossible in an absolute sense. The theory being that there is one Emitter, which you can place a Nullifier near, fairly easily at the start. As the mission goes on, the Creeper is produced faster and faster, with the theoretical limit being the map capacity for Creeper. The challenge is to see who can last the longest before their defence fails. It's partially a game of brinkmanship, trying to hold on that little bit longer than anyone else, but knowing that if you wait too long, you lose it all.

I suppose that the other sort, where you cannot win, and the "I lasted ___" is the achievement, could be fun. Perhaps an invincible factory, spawning invincible units, that add to the cumulative load, would be the way.
I wouldn't be the best person to make it, because the idea just depresses me. That is, knowing you will lose. I prefer the model where you win, it's just trying to do so against something just a bit harder than everyone else.

Builder17

If player gets convert + freeze AoO after surviving long enough? These can end map into win .

GoodMorning

A nice theory, for the no-win idea.

Perhaps there would be created a core which is "I give up" when clicked? The mission is lost if there is no uncovered space, but if the button is pressed, it's an immediate win? That gives a fairer time... (Although the other way would let people play chicken with the health left on their Nullifier.)

chwooly

Something like this was done on "Creeper World Evermore" which is available to play on kongregate. It was a survival mode button that once you clicked on it you would initiate a mad buildup of creeper. Goal of course being to stay alive as long as possible.

Personally I would play a map like that but not sure if I would enjoy it haha. I might just rage quit once I started to lose all power. :o
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

I played Evermore for about a year before I bought any of the games. This would be a similar idea, as if it was an Evermore where you can win, but go for the highest time.

Builder17

You have to do it in CRPL then , cause time and score are connected in opposite way you want.

MizInIA

Destroy command node to win doesnt work. Unless there is only one island big enough to land and it is only just big enough to only have one landing spot. Otherwise i could just fly around over creeper indefinately.

Builder17

If all build space is covered by creeper , you can't build anything? And it can be checked in CRPL when CN dies.

GoodMorning

This issue is why I thought to do an "eventual win", where you are required to win under your own power.