New to Creeper World. A few questions and comments.

Started by SwampDog, September 08, 2015, 11:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDog

First off, I've been enjoying the Creeper World games, they are refreshingly different.   The strategy and planning are fun as hell and fairly unique in games.

I must say that in all the versions I've tried, I find the tutorials very lacking.  I'd much prefer if every item you could use had a detailed explanation of what it does, and the tactics behind when and where to use it.   I've played five different versions, and other than adding range, it's still unclear to me the different between collectors and relays.

In the Abraxis version, please tell me there's a way to shut off survival mode kicking in.  This is a deal-breaker for me with this game.  It's not that I can't beat the clock, it's that I don't want to.  I want to carefully plan out my pattern, and not feel the pressure of a timer on me.  This is one of the joys of puzzle games; considering your strategy and tactics and trying new ones.

ShadowDragon7015

Quote from: SwampDog on September 08, 2015, 11:48:39 AM
I must say that in all the versions I've tried, I find the tutorials very lacking.  I'd much prefer if every item you could use had a detailed explanation of what it does, and the tactics behind when and where to use it.   I've played five different versions, and other than adding range, it's still unclear to me the different between collectors and relays.
you are supposed to play and find a tactic that works well with your play style  :)
in cw1 relays are just for spanning longer distances and collectors are for getting energy that you use to build more collectors, blasters, mortars and to produce ammo for the weapons.
in cw2 collectors are still for energy
in cw3 collectors can have a variety of uses because of the crpl commands. you could use them for collecting energy, or you could make it a requirement to build collectors in a certain way to win the map. This makes it more interesting and fun. Relays in cw3 were changed also in that they speed up the packets as they go along the lines. this allows you to get packets places faster and to make your grid more efficient.

Quote from: SwampDog on September 08, 2015, 11:48:39 AM
In the Abraxis version, please tell me there's a way to shut off survival mode kicking in.  This is a deal-breaker for me with this game.  It's not that I can't beat the clock, it's that I don't want to.  I want to carefully plan out my pattern, and not feel the pressure of a timer on me.  This is one of the joys of puzzle games; considering your strategy and tactics and trying new ones.
as far as i know there is no way to turn off survival :/ cant help you there.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

J

Survival mode is only in the cw1 flash game evermore. It automatically kicks in after 60 minutes. Starting it manually only sets the mission timer to 60 minutes after which it starts as usual. Play the original game or one of the other flash games if you don't like it. The original game has chronom mission which are generated in a similar way but without survival mode.

Altwing

Quote from: J on September 08, 2015, 04:50:49 PM
The original game has chronom mission which are generated in a similar way but without survival mode.

I still play those, usually for the date that it really is and then for a random map from 5 or 6 years ago.  They are very addictive, those chronom maps.

warren

I am so confused. I was pretty sure CW3:A had no survival mode. How can someone think it does?

I always thought the difference between the two was obvious. Collectors are for getting power and building network 'cause they are cheap. Relays are for spanning chasms, which I believe was the entire purpose of that one level in CW1 that had those chasms. And they hardly changed in CW3.

And there is also survival in user space. The best free version there ever was.

ShadowDragon7015

Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Shockblast DX

Quote from: J on September 08, 2015, 04:50:49 PM
Survival mode is only in the cw1 flash game evermore. It automatically kicks in after 60 minutes.

It also activated if you have capped all of the emitters.