Custom Map #28: The Super Collider

Started by AutoPost, August 18, 2011, 12:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #28: The Super Collider

Author: Ebon_Heart

Desc:
Shut down a super collider that has tapped into another dimension... the dimension of the loki. The fields are amazing here, if I do say so myself. This is the real version of the map, I uploaded the wrong version last time. My bad!

TonyP2000

WHY EBON! WHY!
Why is that map so insanely awesome yet brutally hard...   :-\
Vote Tony!

Kithros

While this is by no means the only way to do it, what I consider the best (and probably unintended) way to go about the beginning:
Spoiler
[close]

After the beginning I find it really boring, it's just a matter of slogging it out and the capsules won't be threatened for an extremely long time.

Ebon Heart

Yay, this is finally live! This is my first map, so it has some cosmetic errors and balancing issues, but it's a start. I made a few changes to my other maps last night.... So I need to get scores for them and get them up. This one just has cool fields and the like. :D
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

MadMurphy

I got to the point where you get the cube that tells you to save, glad I did. I dropped a couple  F bombs after that.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: MadMurphy on August 19, 2011, 05:20:47 PM
I got to the point where you get the cube that tells you to save, glad I did. I dropped a couple  F bombs after that.
Yay! That means the trap served it's purpose! Lol.

DethbyIT

Kithros - not sure how you managed to do that. I keep getting these checkerboard do-hickey's that explode and spread creeper all over the place.

Not sure how to even get started on this thing.
dbit

Fisherck

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 19, 2011, 06:26:34 PM
Kithros - not sure how you managed to do that. I keep getting these checkerboard do-hickey's that explode and spread creeper all over the place.

dbit

He's good at finding difficult and unintentend ways of doing things... ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 19, 2011, 06:26:34 PM

dbit
oh, yes.... beware the random diamond of doom. :P The real problems don't start till the end though, of course. lol.

Mare

I will give some information to the newbies who try this map. This is because some people might find it frustrating to win.
READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Spoiler
In the image I have highlighted and noted some parts that are dangerous. I will give you some tactics and hints to to help you win the map.

Orange circle at the top- Those are where creeper "Diamonds" Appear out of nowhere. To counter them, just have some blasters go really close to them when they appear. Later in the game, when you have enough energy, just replace those blasters with 1 launcher, that should take care of it. The diamonds appear in this order: First the left circle, then the right, then the middle. Make sure to pause!!!

Red circle connected to the squares- When you reach the large chamber with the two squares in it, DO NOT DIG THE SQUARES UNLESS YOU ARE READY!!! When ready, dig only ONE of the squares and have defensive positions in the three holes at the top of the chamber above this one and on the two sides as well. The creeper in the red square, when you dig the block, will transport to the large chamber above it and destroy anything there. Don't go aggressive and fight the creeper, be defensive and just try to hold out, I used two blasters on the 3 holes at the top and 3 on the holes at the side. Use the rest of your fighting force to stop the creeper in the square from teleporting there.

Yellow line- That area has two weak emitters and two gates, each very close to one another. It shouldn't be a tough fight, the drones are weak but they are extremely fast. Because of them, a lot of your units will be destroyed, so have some spare units ready and send them in. Use blasters only, launchers won't work well here. Consider using range and fire rate upgrades.

Two green circles- There will appear "Random creeper diamonds" there, so take note and be ready when they appear. Don't let your units die so easily.

The Light green Xs- Side note, Don't attack those spots until you have killed all other creeper. Those Xs have more then 14 million Creeper, don't let your units attack it stupidly, you will just waste energy and time.

Don't worry about the the bottom capsule, that can't reached by creeper for more than an hour, you have plenty of time.
[close]

Hope this helped.

Ebon, one complaint, TOO MUCH CREEPER!!!
I liked those fields a lot though...

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE!!!!!

PS: Ebon, hope you aren't going to dislike this post, I just wanted to help some players. To make it up to you, you can go ahead and post all the secrets of my map if I ever make one.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

DethbyIT

All - thanks for the comments and tips. I'll keep working on it.

For the record, Ebon is a black-hearted ramafratzer!
LOL.
dbit

DethbyIT

Can't even make it through the top part of the screen.
I played through all of the pre-canned games when CW2 came out, but there seems to be a lot of modifiers added since then.

Good thing CW is still around to have fun with.

Ebon Heart

Thanks Mare, I thought about doing something like that but decided I'm too lazy. And seriously... Don't attack those X's until after you get dark beam tech. Also, please note, this map is rather poorly balanced, first map, gimme a break. Lol. And you should seen what the editor was like back then!
EDIT: I'm working on a version 2 of this map atm... lots of changes, should be a bit easier, and less of a slog. The bottom will be harder though, even if it won't take as long. I just need to beat it and get it up now.
SECOND EDIT: Version 2 is below if you want a sneak peak, not tested yet, but I need a way to transfer it from my computer to my laptop... I figured I might as well accomplish 2 things at once. :D

MadMurphy

I just completed it. My only regret is not recording that attempt.

knucracker

Wish you had.... I get a google alert whenever you post a youtube video for creeper world.  I usually head over and give them a watch when they are posted.