Custom Map #7186: chamber 1. By: portalguy

Started by AutoPost, March 13, 2019, 07:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #7186: chamber 1

Author: portalguy
Size: 128x84

Desc:
another map made for the portal series, this time including new buttoms, boxes, new wall tipes and doors for a more complete puzzle experience! #portal #CRPL #withsomebugs

GoodMorning

I'm curious as to how the top-left box is meant to be retrieved ... I finished the map by using a glitch that let the portal-bullet go through the corresponding portal, so I could leave one portal outside.

For other feedback, the following would be helpful:

2-3 blocks worth of jump, to make floor-portals easier to place.
A "reset level" option, for when we become trapped.
Consistent portal-through-portal behaviour.

With that said, you've done well with what I've seen so far.
What are the four cells worth of Creeper in the top-left for?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Builder17

Quote from: GoodMorning on March 14, 2019, 12:46:42 AM
What are the four cells worth of Creeper in the top-left for?

Seems to be debugging feature for portals, AFAIK.

The Turlte Hermit

Quote from: GoodMorning on March 14, 2019, 12:46:42 AM
I'm curious as to how the top-left box is meant to be retrieved ... I finished the map by using a glitch that let the portal-bullet go through the corresponding portal, so I could leave one portal outside.

I shot a blue portal on the floor near the second button and then shot an orange one inside the room.  after I did that I portal'd into the room and shot orange at my feet.  The game then had me jumping back and forth between the two spaces and I timed an orange shot to the ceiling above the upper shelf for when I was in the room.  After that I shot an orange at the floor beneath the box and stared jumping back and forth between the two spaces again and aimed a blue at the ceiling above the second button. 

For the author, this is an interesting modification of the Creeper base code and I applaud your creativity.  I would like to echo the request for the ability to jump just a bit and also hope that you will look into debugging the left right controls some, very frequently I'd hit a wall and then the game would not allow me to move left or right.

cornucanis

In addition to the other feedback, I've also noticed that although entering void deletes all "active" portals as intended, it doesn't delete the portal "bullets" which are still flying through the air.

Spoiler
Using this glitch I was able to to save a few seconds by shooting a portal bullet into the upper-left box room, and crossing the void while the bullet was still airborne. This allowed me to connect the main room to the upper-left room making it a bit simpler as I could now just move that first box to the final switch and skip the second box altogether.
[close]

I posted under the name "cornucanis(glitch)" after discovering this glitch, as my other time was posted using no glitches.

edit: added spoiler tag