Custom Map #967: A New Threat Ch2

Started by AutoPost, March 20, 2012, 07:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #967: A New Threat Ch2

Author: Kilroyinc

Desc:
The crew exit out of rift space prematurely on a lava planet. Still limited with their tech they must battle strong creeper fields and drones to escape. They also find a clue to who or what the new threat is.

Kilroyinc

Hey Everybody,

This is my second map and my first try at using fields as a factor that has to be delt with in orer to win.  Any constructive critism to help me make better maps especially in the use of fields is welcome.  My goal is make maps that are a challenge being niether too easy(i.e. boring) or too hard (i.e. all but impossible) all the while fitting my story line.  I hope you have enjoyed both so far. :)

boojum

Getting into the first tunnel was an interesting puzzle in terms of launcher placement.

Kilroyinc

Quote from: boojum on March 25, 2012, 10:13:56 AM
Getting into the first tunnel was an interesting puzzle in terms of launcher placement.

Yea that was somewhat an unexpected challenge for me too.  In this case placing the launcher too close to the creeper line can get you in trouble.

Helper

A good challenge for me that took a few tries to complete.
Right there at the end I thought I saw a message that said: "Kilroy was here", but I'm not sure.

Thanks for doing this - a lot of fun.

grega

Any hints on solving this one? I can get into the tunnel, but it's an eternal stalemate there. No volume of anticreeper will cut into the tunnel, and the surges destroy everything in the tunnel about once per minute. Three hours now, and all I can do is rebuild my blasters and sit waiting.

Kilroyinc

Quote from: grega on August 28, 2012, 10:00:53 PM
Any hints on solving this one? I can get into the tunnel, but it's an eternal stalemate there. No volume of anticreeper will cut into the tunnel, and the surges destroy everything in the tunnel about once per minute. Three hours now, and all I can do is rebuild my blasters and sit waiting.

Avoid losing your launcher at all cost.  Moving it up to quick can get you into trouble.   Keep it in the back and move it up two or three squares at a time through the tunnel.  It also helps to take out the diggable terraine in the upper half of the tunnel.  That way the bombs from the launcher do not have to travel so far.  Hopes this helps.  :)

grega

The breakthrough came when I got the third Increase Weapon Fire Rate (45) tech upgrade. Finally, the Launcher and Blasters could do enough damage quickly enough to break through. It's still a long haul down the tunnel, but at least now it's happening.

grega

Macgyvering? Ooooooohhhhhhh kaaaaayyyyyyyyy.

4xC

Great map, but how can you effectively get through the creeper tunnel? I could never keep my weapons alive long enough for the maker to charge up with creeper. I always had to keep it on maximum produce.
C,C,C,C

Helper

4xC -
The key is to take it easy going through the tunnel.
You have one maker vacuuming and one on 4x making.
After you're in the tunnel, you can use your Repulsors to push AC ahead.
Slowly leapfrog your Blasters and the Launcher...taking out Creeper and the occasional Drones.