Custom Map #346: Rescue

Started by AutoPost, October 19, 2011, 08:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #346: Rescue

Author: Eudrick

Desc:
Don't be too hasty to free up that capsule. You'll need to figure out how to protect it first.

Colin

A nice map with a twist at the end, well done
Eudrick. A perhaps unintended way of using
the AC emitters in the corners, I only used 1
Maker as a vacuum so I had a total of 8
Makers zooming around, and I moved the 1
vacuum to the next corner as soon as I
started running out of AC in that chamber. ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

koker93

Can you guys throw me a bone here?  how do I "protect" a capsule that is destroyed the second i try to protect it?

eudrick

Quote from: koker93 on October 19, 2011, 10:02:52 PM
Can you guys throw me a bone here?  how do I "protect" a capsule that is destroyed the second i try to protect it?
Check your personal messages as I'm reluctant to give it away to the general population at this time.

Quote from: Colin on October 19, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
A nice map with a twist at the end, well done
Eudrick. A perhaps unintended way of using
the AC emitters in the corners, I only used 1
Maker as a vacuum so I had a total of 8
Makers zooming around, and I moved the 1
vacuum to the next corner as soon as I
started running out of AC in that chamber. ;)

Thank you kindly Sir.  I try to do the unexpected where I can.  CW2 affords a lot more opportunity for "that F---ing B----d" moments that CW1 did :D
I charged up two of them while moving the other two.   Take note Koker
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

xing

I wish people would quit making maps that you have to dissect in the map editor to find 'the way' or 'secret' on how to finish the map,
I agree that some maps can have 'surprises' in them but the surprises shouldn't be so insurmountable that you have to know the exact way of dealing with them to be able to finish a map, or at-least give the player hints on the map as to the solution, maps like this are only to boost the map makers ego by trying to make the average player feel small my not getting the secret

please more maps that are how they should be - player v creeper - not player v map maker

fitz

Quote from: xing on October 20, 2011, 03:55:36 AM
I wish people would quit making maps that you have to dissect in the map editor to find 'the way' or 'secret' on how to finish the map,
I agree that some maps can have 'surprises' in them but the surprises shouldn't be so insurmountable that you have to know the exact way of dealing with them to be able to finish a map, or at-least give the player hints on the map as to the solution, maps like this are only to boost the map makers ego by trying to make the average player feel small my not getting the secret

please more maps that are how they should be - player v creeper - not player v map maker

I do understand, but personally I have a different view. I completed this map, but certainly not the way anyone else has. Whilst I might have been able to do it a bit faster it could not be done my way in a much better time. I seemed to have found an extremely slow way of doing it. No use of the map editor, I did not find the exact way of doing it - I would dearly love to know what that is but let's not spoil it for others (worked it out now!). I love the fact that CW2 is player v map maker. I am constantly impressed by the inginuity of the map-makers and feel you can get to know individual styles and try and unravel their thought processes.

I guess we all take different things from this game.

J

Quote from: xing on October 20, 2011, 03:55:36 AM
player v creeper - not player v map maker
That's one of the most permitted foults; many newbies think they have to 'beat' the player. The same thing happens when people are creating games or something else. I like puzzle maps but I dislike 'impossible' maps (exept when you know the secret). note: I'm not saying anything about this map

SmileyCoder

I spent 15 minutes playing till I freed up the pod from creeper. Ok, im thinking im done, and release the buried creeper, killing the pod.

The intro text should be alot less vague, and give a more direct warning imo. The rest of the map is fine. The unit limits are fine, but the end was just annoying as hell!
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

DethbyIT

I remember the first time I ran across one of these 'impossible' maps and cussed a blue streak after figuring what the no-good rotten map maker had done to me.

Now I look forward to seeing his name (eudrick) on a new map and play it ahead of any others.

There is a post somewhere giving us the quick and dirty on how to use the Map Editor/Fields/Auto Advance to figure this stuff out and I can find it if needed.

@eudrick - my eyes just ain't what they once were, but do those Drones pop up out of a hidden spot or actually travel from the Gateway?

First run-through was a 26:45 and will give it another go later.

Thanks for a fun game.
dbit

Kithros

If people actually enjoy the nonsense of hidden fields with no logic to them - maybe I should make a completely stupid map involving them that's completely obnoxious (and by the way, what was the point of some of the unit limitations? I never would have even wanted to build more repulsors than was possible for instance, so why bother limiting them?)

burguertime

Beaten without using the map editor.

My two cents into improving the map: hints and tips. Put a holocube with a hint. Makes wonders.

Spoiler
Try and find places where the AC behaves in a strange way. Check the behavior of the capsule cell.
[close]
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

eudrick

To those who believe that this (and other ) map(s) employ unfair or devious tactics, I apologize.  I do tend to specialize in "puzzle" maps.  I think this one gives the player enough information via the warning in the description and the anomalies with the anti creeper to afford a fair amount of information to deduce the final solution.  My mechanics may suck but the concepts are viable.

@ Kithros:  No reason really, for the limits other than at the initial outlay I thought they were warranted and didn't bother to change them after the final run through.

@DBIT:  Naw, the drones all come from the gate, but they are groups of 4 so sometimes AC will kill one and leave the others.
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

essentialatom

The best solution I can figure out is to
Spoiler
put up some shields around the capsule area and cram it with AC. Takes ages and isn't very clever. And I don't know if it'll actually work anyway
[close]

I have no idea what the 'real' solution is. Just waiting for someone to say what it is, or at least drop a decent hint.

Update: one minute later - Alright, maybe I was too hasty. Figured it out. :p

ZaiLux

Okay, been at this one for about an hour...I've tried EVERYTHING. Do you have to be a hacker to beat this or something? Would anyone be willing to give a good hint about protecting the capsule? Or just outright tell me. I'm tired and want to go to bed, but I can't until I beat this level. XD

Colin

Okay, here are some successive hints:

Spoiler
You know you want to see the next hint.
Spoiler
Are you sure you can't figure it out?
Okay, you see where the AC doesn't go?
Spoiler
Put AC there, and watch the density in the chamber
with the pod.
Spoiler
After you cram enough AC in there, you can dig away
the terrain with no fear of the capsule being destroyed.  ;)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Hope that helps!  ;D
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.