Custom Map #73: Waterlogged

Started by AutoPost, August 25, 2011, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kithros

Quote from: mike19283 on September 05, 2011, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: Kithros on September 02, 2011, 08:52:46 PM
Quote from: Grauniad on September 02, 2011, 08:09:57 PM
I've finally written off this map.

Perhaps there's something I just don't "get," but unless I use Kithros' method, which I'm not disciplined enough to do, then eventually when I get to the top and destroy the emitter, I'm stuck with this huge cloud of creeper and because of how that cloud is constructed, all weapons fire at it far below their maximum efficiency.  So basically then one has to sit there and fight a war of attrition against the cloud for an insufferably  long time.

I've even experimented with sending  up repulsors to disrupt the fields forming the cloud, but then one has to fight the entire uphill battle again, which is boring.

So at about 80 minutes into this map, I'm calling it quits.

Yeah, this map should have used level 4 directional fields surrounding the cloud for one (so the creeper flows around the cloud instead of getting stuck in pin fields), and it could've done with using a 20M emitter instead of a 200M emitter without affecting the gameplay much up until the slog of killing the cloud (which is purely tedious).

Well, level 4 directional fields would never have held the creeper in, it would have overflowed past the fields. I should have used weaker pins is what I should've done =/ sorry for the headache on that one, it didn't seem too bad when I  played through originally. Twas my first map, and I'll take what I learned from this and make more efficient maps in the future! =)

Also, kudos to your for completely destroying my time! I never thought of doing it that way!

Level 4 directional fields can hold any amount of creeper back - and the level of pin fields wouldn't matter either because pin fields always hold any amount of creeper except when moving - pin fields only carry a certain amount of creeper along with them, but they will stop any amount of creeper from moving.

That said, it's a decent concept for a map and except for the part where you have to kill the cloud off it was pretty fun.

dratun

how are you guys crawling up the left wall?  there are bursts of creeper that occur along the path I'm creating that kill the microrifts.

Grauniad

It's a slog, but possible. Use repulsors and blasters. Blasters can survive one square away from the wall once you are 4 or 5 spaces up the wall and out of the deep pool of creeper, IIRC.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

dratun

Got it done!  Thanks for the tip, I was able to dump 7 blasters into the creeper a ways above my existing set and build a minirift in the middle of them.  Then it is just a matter of working your way up, setting up some offense around the cloud at the top, and taking an extended lunch break.