(Pseudo) Multiplayer?

Started by ItsFunToLose, January 08, 2010, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsFunToLose

Just an off the wall idea, but would multiplayer be feasible?  even if its just two players playing the same map separately, but able to watch each other simultaneously in a sort of pseudo multiplayer, like competitively playing against each other for a time score.  It would really ramp up the creativity with build orders and to see what works better.

Eriy

It would be interesting to see someone else do a map at the same time as you, but there could be bad connections and then the information would have to be continously sent to each player. You could have it so that you could challenge somebody to do a map same time as you so you would start at the same time. Interesting!

Aurzel

kind of redundant seeing as you can just play the map any time and tell each other how long it took you

ItsFunToLose

this is the same as saying a text based RPG is equivalent to a 3D MMORPG.  I want to watch what you are doing as it happens

wicherh

it would be interesting if you could help eachother :D fight creeper togheter

deathly_god5

I've thought about this. Having 2 people play the same map but I think in order to do that the creater would have to make the maps larger so that your not crowding eachother or something or so that balancing the difficulty between players would be easier.
I only have one problem with this, what if the other person get's to the totems before you? Does he go through the portal and leave you behind or would the person help their enemy/teammate to get to the totems?

Aurzel

if you're working together it would make sense that either of you need to activate some or all of the totems for you both to escape

deathly_god5

Quote from: Aurzel on January 14, 2010, 03:23:53 AM
if you're working together it would make sense that either of you need to activate some or all of the totems for you both to escape
So like as long as one person connects them then both go through?

Aurzel

yep, otherwise it wouldnt be playing together would it? it'd be a race

Kamron3

Multiplayer really will not work like you will think it will. I think there should be one person with Creeper and Creeper buildings.

Player 1 - Humans:

- Tries to cap emitters and destroy the Creeper Nexus "Building" or the Odin City for the Creeper
- Kills the Creeper

Player 2 - Creeper

- Builds emitters
- Can build Creeper-only buildings
- Create spores

The fun thing is that the Creeper and the Human do not have an advantage over each other if both played by humans :)

_k

Aurzel

i suppose there could be like a 'creeper resource' which increases slowly over time and faster the more ground you've covered with creeper and you get a small chunk every time you destroy a building, this creeper resource would be used to set emitters (say an emitter working at 1 intensity 1 interval would use up 1 creeper resource per second to work or something like that) while spores used up maybe 5 + intensity and you could draw a line of where the spore falls, while you can also build emitters anywhere on the map as long as its got creeper on it and is a certain distance from any buildings and would cost maybe 50 creeper resource (so you'll only start with one and have to work your way up as you get more resource)
anyone else like this idea that just came to me while i was typing? lol

NoobSauce

I like the idea, but it would take a lot of work for virgil to implement, no?
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Aurzel

and a hell of a lot of testing to make it fair, but its still something to think about

impikmin

Maybe we've been looking at multiplayer all wrong. It doesn't have to be versus, it could be cooperative...

Aurzel

speak for yourself, we've looked at that too XD