Building a computer

Started by lich98, July 09, 2013, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lich98

I'm looking to try to learn to build PCs, I watched a few youtube videos on it and sorta randomly through this list of parts together, would they even work or be halfway decient? I made two sets, I know the second doesn't include a case I didn't get around to adding one.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

CobraKill

1st Build: It needs a powerful discrete graphics card. That system would be heavily bottlenecked by the lack of a strong GPU.

2nd Build: Wow. If you can afford it. It would be a blazing system. However, a GTX Titan would be beat by a cheaper NVIDIA GeForce 690 or doing two NVIDIA GeForce 770 in SLI. would be best and save you a little bit of money. For the best performance though a NVIDIA GeForce 780 in SLI would run you up $1500; $300 more then the TITAN. I would personally do 770's in SLI.

EDIT: Taking another look, your Motherboard is incompatible with the CPU. You need to look for one with the Z87 Chipset and Socket LGA 1150 and if do the 770 Sli the motherboard must be SLI compatible. Also, your Power Supply might not be strong enough. But I'm not good at gauging that.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Grauniad

Quote from: lich98 on July 09, 2013, 12:07:57 AM
I'm looking to try to learn to build PCs, I watched a few youtube videos on it and sorta randomly through this list of parts together, would they even work or be halfway decient? I made two sets, I know the second doesn't include a case I didn't get around to adding one.

You really didn't put much thought into it, so I didn't either. :)

If you want a comparison, use side-by side descriptions including the name of the component.

I did not ice that you priced everything from Amazon. That can be expensive. Newegg.com is much cheaper. For the BitFenix Prodigy case, they go for about $80 at Newegg.

I built a PC in a BitFenix Prodigy case in March. Once you have a list of descriptive parts, I'll look it over. There were a few things I noticed with that case that would make me hesitate to recommend it for anyone.

Also consider using a non-stock  cooler. I didn't spend enough time on your lists to see if you had one. Everybody these days use closed-loop water cooling. Much quieter and more efficient.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 09, 2013, 12:59:08 AM
Everybody these days use closed-loop water cooling. Much quieter and more efficient.

*Has three main fans and three smaller fans running in case*
Guess I'm nobody. ::)

On another note, I have no clue how water cooling works.
Like, how does it...do the...whatever it does...without like...doing what water does to electric stuff..? :D
Not that I need it, but how much would it cost on average, and how hard would it be to install yourself?

asmussen

Quote from: Blaze on July 09, 2013, 01:41:02 AM
Quote from: Grauniad on July 09, 2013, 12:59:08 AM
Everybody these days use closed-loop water cooling. Much quieter and more efficient.

*Has three main fans and three smaller fans running in case*
Guess I'm nobody. ::)

On another note, I have no clue how water cooling works.
Like, how does it...do the...whatever it does...without like...doing what water does to electric stuff..? :D
Not that I need it, but how much would it cost on average, and how hard would it be to install yourself?

The water never actually comes in contact with the electrical components. It runs through a closed loop between a block that sits on top of the CPU where a heatsink/fan combo would normally be attached, and a radiator with fans that blow across it. Here's an example of one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032
Shawn Asmussen

dlbushman

This is the main resource I used when I built mine about a year ago:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1317827-Patch-5-4-Legendary-Cloak-Effects-Blue-Tweets-Setup-of-the-Month-News-Recap

I used to play WoW quite a bit, and I still frequent MMO-Champion.  In that news post is their 'Setup of the Month' about halfway down.  It goes through 4 different levels of computing power/price.  Obviously that isn't the exact post I used, but they do it about every month, so it does list the most recent hardware.  Following that list will at least get you a motherboard and components that will all work.  Then after a little more research into what you need/want, and pricing through different sites, you should be in good shape.  I ended up buying half of it from Amazon and half of it from Newegg.  I bought my monitor from Best Buy, I like to actually look at that sort of thing before I buy it.

lich98

Quote from: dlbushman on July 09, 2013, 09:49:43 AM
This is the main resource I used when I built mine about a year ago:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1317827-Patch-5-4-Legendary-Cloak-Effects-Blue-Tweets-Setup-of-the-Month-News-Recap

I used to play WoW quite a bit, and I still frequent MMO-Champion.  In that news post is their 'Setup of the Month' about halfway down.  It goes through 4 different levels of computing power/price.  Obviously that isn't the exact post I used, but they do it about every month, so it does list the most recent hardware.  Following that list will at least get you a motherboard and components that will all work.  Then after a little more research into what you need/want, and pricing through different sites, you should be in good shape.  I ended up buying half of it from Amazon and half of it from Newegg.  I bought my monitor from Best Buy, I like to actually look at that sort of thing before I buy it.

I'd say my real budget would be more like $1000 if I could even get that much. I'll have to play around with compatable parts, and see what I can get with what I want to do... I need something that can render videos, and play games better, I struggle to maintain 30fps on most CW2 maps with our current home PC, it is time for an upgrade on that computer. I won't be allowed to brake the bank either, if I even get to build it.
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Grauniad

There is an absolutely awesome deal on $100 off a motherboard and 16GB memory combo on Newegg.

When I build a new computer I start collecting parts over about 2-3 months as the deals come on.

lich98

Quote from: Grauniad on July 09, 2013, 06:49:15 PM
There is an absolutely awesome deal on $100 off a motherboard and 16GB memory combo on Newegg.

When I build a new computer I start collecting parts over about 2-3 months as the deals come on.

I can't start getting stuff yet either, Mainly just trying to see what I could get on a relitivly small budget because we do need a better home PC desktop. Not sure if my parents would trust me with building a computer though
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

lich98

Two new trys what do you think of them
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Grauniad

Here's my problem: You have the first line as

Case   55    URL to Amazon.

Thing is I don't find Amazon the best price for most computer components. I use Newegg, NCIX, MicroCenter, Tiger Direct, etc.  It would be really helpful if you actually stated the make and model of the case, eg: BitFenix Prodigy or Fractal Design Arc Midi. I know quite a few cases and then don't have to go look them up on Amazon and then click over to Newegg to compare prices.

I will look at your list though. Comments to follow:

Grauniad

Your Budget build:

The case does not support front USB 3.0 ports.
If you can live with a white case, it's for sale at Newegg for $25 after a rebate.

I usually prefer a sturdy build, and I can't tell with this one. You need to be careful, there are multiple 210 models at Newegg, SOme specify a "painted interior" others do not. It is a highly rated case, so it may be that one of the 210 models do have USB 3.0. Amazon does not tell you things like that, which is one of the reasons I don't shop at Amazon for PC components.

IMHO the lowest you should go with a PSU on a new build is probably 650W. I like to overshoot, and get a gold or platinum rated one. That way it runs cool and quiet. Get a modular PSU, then you reduce cable clutter. Most people underestimate the importance of a good PSU.

The CPU seems to be incredible good value for money. Not a top-of the line performer, but price-wise you can't beat it. I would however spend more and get a much better performer.  IMHO there are only tow choices right now if you plan to play games etc.

Either the i5-3570K or the i5-4670K. It's $100 more than yours, but I'd not skimp on that.

If the processor comes with a stock fan, I would not buy another fan-based CPU cooler. I'd go with the processor stock fan until I can get a water-loop cooler.

Again, the same memory is cheaper at Newegg. I would not buy 4GB modules. I prefer 8BG modules. But if you are sure you will not for the life of the PC need more that 16GB, go for it. I think a gaming PC probably needs 16GB or so. Even if you start with 8 now and buy 8 more later.

As for the motherboard, again there is a rebate at Newegg. THere are also similarly-prices Asus and ASRock motherboards that have a very good reputation. I have a gigabyte and an MSI board, but I really like my new ASRock motherboard.

Video card is awesome.

In your notes you said 2TB hard drive, but the model you link to is a 1TB model.

DVD drives.. meh.

Keyboard, mouse and speakers.. .meh  I have a pair of $10 USB speakers and they work fine. I have a chaep Microsoft mouse and an expensive mechanical keyboard.

The TV is not a good gaming monitor. ALso pay attention to the dot pitch. That is the distance between the pixels (and hence the size of the pixels) if you go to an over-large monitor, then it starts to appear grainy.  A good way to see what I mean is to go to a store that sells TVs.  Look at the largest model they sell with 720p vertical.  Look at the picture carefully. Then look at the same size with 1080P.

That's all I can do for now.  Good start on your list, but you should rethink a few things. Price from Newegg and you'll probably save $10 on almost every component.  Buy from NCIX and then over $100 they ship for free. But I hate to look at things on the NCIX site, they are even worse than Amazon for comparing products.

lich98

Quote from: Grauniad on July 10, 2013, 02:11:20 AM
Your Budget build:

The case does not support front USB 3.0 ports.
If you can live with a white case, it's for sale at Newegg for $25 after a rebate.

I usually prefer a sturdy build, and I can't tell with this one. You need to be careful, there are multiple 210 models at Newegg, SOme specify a "painted interior" others do not. It is a highly rated case, so it may be that one of the 210 models do have USB 3.0. Amazon does not tell you things like that, which is one of the reasons I don't shop at Amazon for PC components.

IMHO the lowest you should go with a PSU on a new build is probably 650W. I like to overshoot, and get a gold or platinum rated one. That way it runs cool and quiet. Get a modular PSU, then you reduce cable clutter. Most people underestimate the importance of a good PSU.

The CPU seems to be incredible good value for money. Not a top-of the line performer, but price-wise you can't beat it. I would however spend more and get a much better performer.  IMHO there are only tow choices right now if you plan to play games etc.

Either the i5-3570K or the i5-4670K. It's $100 more than yours, but I'd not skimp on that.

If the processor comes with a stock fan, I would not buy another fan-based CPU cooler. I'd go with the processor stock fan until I can get a water-loop cooler.

Again, the same memory is cheaper at Newegg. I would not buy 4GB modules. I prefer 8BG modules. But if you are sure you will not for the life of the PC need more that 16GB, go for it. I think a gaming PC probably needs 16GB or so. Even if you start with 8 now and buy 8 more later.

As for the motherboard, again there is a rebate at Newegg. THere are also similarly-prices Asus and ASRock motherboards that have a very good reputation. I have a gigabyte and an MSI board, but I really like my new ASRock motherboard.

Video card is awesome.

In your notes you said 2TB hard drive, but the model you link to is a 1TB model.

DVD drives.. meh.

Keyboard, mouse and speakers.. .meh  I have a pair of $10 USB speakers and they work fine. I have a chaep Microsoft mouse and an expensive mechanical keyboard.

The TV is not a good gaming monitor. ALso pay attention to the dot pitch. That is the distance between the pixels (and hence the size of the pixels) if you go to an over-large monitor, then it starts to appear grainy.  A good way to see what I mean is to go to a store that sells TVs.  Look at the largest model they sell with 720p vertical.  Look at the picture carefully. Then look at the same size with 1080P.

That's all I can do for now.  Good start on your list, but you should rethink a few things. Price from Newegg and you'll probably save $10 on almost every component.  Buy from NCIX and then over $100 they ship for free. But I hate to look at things on the NCIX site, they are even worse than Amazon for comparing products.

Which one of the two builds was this one on? And I wish ot use the computer to render video files as well as play games on.

Also: Budget high, save money, I'd rather have more money that I need to for the build than not, I did forget to include an operating system in those builds, I'd go with Windows 7 if they still sell that mainly because 8 is really bad for a computer
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra

Grauniad

Quote from: lich98 on July 10, 2013, 07:02:45 PM

Which one of the two builds was this one on? And I wish ot use the computer to render video files as well as play games on.

What does the first line of my quoted post say?  :)

I did notice that you forgot the OS but it slipped my mind. I'm not used to posting such long posts. Windows 7 is still available. You can get Home Premium OEM for around %99-100.

And yes, one should budget high, but being off by 10% if one has to ask for money may make it more difficult.  I usually look at the lowest set of standard prices and then over a few months look for deals that drive the price a little lower.

The most worrisome thing about you quoting Amazon is that you can't compare components on Amazon. But hey, go ahead. It's your build. :)

lich98

Have a look at this build and I will exclude the Operating System from the builds at the moment.
-Walt Disney
-Yogi Berra