Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8159: Make guppy, not war

Author: Martin Gronsdal
Size: 256x256

Desc:
Please tell me if this is too easy.

Schizo

Where are we suppose to land the command center? I don't see any terps to level out the ground or anything..

cornucanis

Quote from: Schizo on February 09, 2020, 11:29:27 PM
Where are we suppose to land the command center? I don't see any terps to level out the ground or anything..

Spoiler
You may not start with a terp, but there's no reason to let that remain a permanent state of affairs.
[close]

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: cornucanis on February 10, 2020, 02:32:42 AM

Spoiler
You may not start with a terp, but there's no reason to let that remain a permanent state of affairs.
[close]

Very good point

teknotiss

here is a non-mysterious spoiler

Spoiler
use a guppy to fly over the anding zone and build the terp, the energy in 1 guppy should be enough to terraform those 3 cells down to level 1
[close]

then you are on your way!

hope that helps! 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

teknotiss

it's not the ease or difficulty, it is the fiddlyness that puts me off.

some people like this style i know, but for me once i have established i can win i usually lose interest in games that need a lot of micromanagement and guppies.

keep on making them, i don't think the start was too easy, it was a little puzzle and some beachhead tactics, which is fun!

cheers dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: teknotiss on February 10, 2020, 05:23:37 AM

some people like this style i know, but for me once i have established i can win i usually lose interest in games that need a lot of micromanagement and guppies.

keep on making them, i don't think the start was too easy, it was a little puzzle and some beachhead tactics, which is fun!

cheers dude  8)

I understand your point.

However, once you establish the guppies they do all the work themselves. The only thing you have to do is to relocate 5-6 guppies when time for that has come.

but I get it. Maybe the ore island should just be within reach?

Schizo

Quote from: teknotiss on February 10, 2020, 05:20:40 AM

here is a non-mysterious spoiler

Spoiler
use a guppy to fly over the anding zone and build the terp, the energy in 1 guppy should be enough to terraform those 3 cells down to level 1
[close]

then you are on your way!

hope that helps! 8)

Yeah, I tried that.  The terp refused to build.

chwooly

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on February 10, 2020, 05:37:35 AM

cheers dude  8)

I understand your point.

However, once you establish the guppies they do all the work themselves. The only thing you have to do is to relocate 5-6 guppies when time for that has come.

I agree with Teknotiss,

It is also the complete lack of collectors, The very limited amount of relays, the nullifiers that are totally unreachable.  The lack of the singularity. I think that pretty much sums it up,  The start was tricky 1 time, Once I got the guppy's positioned and got beams made the game was over. I might have even enjoyed it with 1 or 2 additional relays or if the collectors were available. Somehow beating my face into a wall while it might improve my looks is not something I enjoy doing and this is how this map feels after the first 5 mins.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: chwooly on February 10, 2020, 09:17:07 PM

cheers dude  8)

I understand your point.

I agree with Teknotiss,

It is also the complete lack of collectors, The very limited amount of relays, the nullifiers that are totally unreachable.  The lack of the singularity. I think that pretty much sums it up,  The start was tricky 1 time, Once I got the guppy's positioned and got beams made the game was over. I might have even enjoyed it with 1 or 2 additional relays or if the collectors were available. Somehow beating my face into a wall while it might improve my looks is not something I enjoy doing and this is how this map feels after the first 5 mins.

Cheers

Thank you for playing

I understand that the limited relays and unreachable flying exclusion zones make this map more difficult, but that's the point.

teknotiss

Quote from: Schizo on February 10, 2020, 04:16:39 PM

Yeah, I tried that.  The terp refused to build.

so you launched and landed a guppy on the other side of the starter island and it didn't build the terp you placed?

if so that is a bug i think.

the terp should build dude, might be worth deleting that map and redownloading it?

teknotiss

cheers dude  8)

I understand your point.

could do?  maybe stage the ore so as we liberate areas we get more ore as we progress?

but don't make maps to please me dude, make the ones you want to make!  8)

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: teknotiss on February 11, 2020, 09:09:57 AM

cheers dude  8)

I understand your point.

could do?  maybe stage the ore so as we liberate areas we get more ore as we progress?

but don't make maps to please me dude, make the ones you want to make!  8)

progressive access to ore? don't get me started :)

thank you for playing and the feedback! oh, and thank you for the last comment - that was nice of you

teknotiss