CW3 Campaign not loading

Started by WhyLee, March 09, 2020, 04:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyLee

Could someone give me some technical support?

I tried redownloading CW3 after seeing some of the CW4 dev videos. However, I don't have all my old progress. I don't mind that as it's been a few years since I last played and I need a refresher. With that being said though, I can't progress past the first system in the story. The second system I go to is empty with no planets/missions/anything for me to do. It's just my ship spinning in a circle in the middle of an empty field.

Does anyone know what my issue is and how to fix it? (downloading and launching through Steam, if that helps)

Steps I have taken so far:
Verifying integrity of the game files through steam.
Uninstalling, restarting the computer, and then re-installing (this got me the second system, but now the third system is empty)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Additional Information since first posting:
I have access to the following in the main menu:
Arc Eternal campaign through the second system.
Colonial Space (where I have successfully downloaded and tried a map)
Projects
DMD
Load File
Settings
Web

My file structure to the campaign data is "C:\Users@USERNAME%\OneDrive\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\1"
Story_2 through Story_8 only have the system.dat file in them. System_0 and System_1 have additional files for each planet

----------------------------------------------------------

Final update:

After some amazing support on the discord from Grabz, (<3) as well as forum support from KnuckleCracker himself, here's what the issue was/how I fixed it.

It ended up being a OneDrive issue like Knuckle said. It turns out that I never setup/installed OneDrive when I upgraded and migrated my main storage drive. I re-downloaded and setup OneDrive, fully shut down the computer, and came back to it the next day and all my progress was restored from when I played the game years back. I went from being on the 3rd or 4th sector to having the entire game completed and all additional zones unlocked.

Thank you again to Grabz for the live support via the Discord and for Knuckle on the forum! Keep being an awesome community and I can't wait for CW4
-WhyLee

knucracker

The first hint of a problem is this line:
"Win32 IO returned 362. Path: C:\Users\YOURUSER\OneDrive\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\1\story_2\system.dat"

That means something is preventing reading (or reading completely) that file.  A google on that error points to a OneDrive issue (perhaps with read permissions when offline).  So that's the area I'd look in.  Note that I would turn off steam cloud sync for the game while you debug/experiment.  If steam backs up a corrupt or 0 len file, then it could put that back when you try to start the game.

WhyLee

Thank you for all the support! The issue has been fixed and I have all my old progress back as well as access to all additional zones!

Karsten75

Not often people report back on resolution. Thank you for that and enjoy the game. :)