Custom map voting

Started by ajasquared, August 19, 2011, 01:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

if we end up using star ratings, the median average is preferable to the mean average, as we don't have to deal with some of these problems
We have become the creeper...

Sqaz

Quote from: thepenguin on August 20, 2011, 09:28:04 AM
If we end up using star ratings, the median average is preferable to the mean average, as we don't have to deal with the (above) problem

So you'd prefer giving the not-working Tornado Gaurd 5 stars instead of 4. Doesn't really solve the problem, only worsens it.

thepenguin

Quote from: Sqaz on August 20, 2011, 09:29:43 AM
If we end up using star ratings, the median average is preferable to the mean average, as we don't have to deal with the (above) problem

So you'd prefer giving the not-working Tornado Gaurd 5 stars instead of 4. Doesn't really solve the problem, only worsens it.

oh, sorry, understood the wrong problem

but let's ignore the tornado guard part of this and act like this is a map

Sqaz

Even then the difference between the median and the mean average isn't very big so I don't see what problem it can solve?

thepenguin

Quote from: Sqaz on August 20, 2011, 09:40:28 AM
Even then the difference between the median and the mean average isn't very big so I don't see what problem it can solve?

It can help in some cases, but not much

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Sqaz on August 20, 2011, 09:29:43 AM

That was partly a joke on my part, posting that, because I thought it would help the discussion, Because it helps to illustrate the issues with simplifying a concept into a simple number.

thepenguin

Quote from: Ranakastrasz on August 20, 2011, 12:00:14 PM
That was partly a joke on my part, posting that, because I thought it would help the discussion, Because it helps to illustrate the issues with simplifying a concept into a simple number.

albeit not very well

Kithros

Quote from: thepenguin on August 20, 2011, 09:44:40 AM
Quote from: Sqaz on August 20, 2011, 09:40:28 AM

It can help in some cases, but not much

I'm pretty sure if one used the median it would almost always be either 1 or 5, since most ratings are either 1 or 5.