Novus Imperium Corporation Fleet.

Started by TonnyT, October 29, 2016, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on May 20, 2017, 08:54:44 AM
The short answer is that floating armour is only visually better. It takes more space, and is at least one of  the following: weaker, easily stripped, slower to build, more brittle.

It can be useful in some fleets to aid fast recognition of ships with different functions and otherwise similar designs, it can look better, and there may be rare circumstances where the pattern is more effective.

Indeed, if used correctly it can make a ship noticeably tougher. For example, my Hydraxil Collective ships all use a sort of "ablative armour", which is basically a strip of armour made up of slopes that is suspended above the main hull. This has the curious result of making them more resistant to light and medium-strength threats, since the armour can regenerate and rebuild much faster than if it was a slab of cubes. Or maybe not, perhaps that's just my perception. *shrugs*

And yes, it makes them look cool. I have used suspended hulls in numerous designs (where appropriate, of course), most prominently in my Hydraxil and Crystallid ship designs.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

tornado

I've seen. On the bright side, none of our forays have encountered these things yet. this is a fact our science team is disappointed by, though this is highly tempered by survival instincts, though enough about this here, lest we steal this corporations topic.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Ben

:: Messaging Systems Online ::
:: Outgoing Message Sequence Initiated ::
:: Encryption level = 1 ::
:: Recipients = Tony Carlisle ::

Greetings Mr. Carlisle,

We have been scanning your fleet catalog and have noticed the design and versatility that appears inherent in your ships. At surface level we are rather impressed.

Assuming the licences are still current, we would like permission to use the following ships:
-Longbow = QTY: 2
-Tomahawk = QTY: 2
-Xiphos = QTY: 2 (if possible, we would prefer a version modified without storage tanks)
-Billhook = QTY: 4
-Claymore = QTY: 1

Pardon my curiousity, but do you have any relation to Timothy Carlisle?

Kind Regards,
      Nicole Rose
      Magister Equitem of the Rhodes Imperium
[On behalf of: Benjamin Rhodes, Commander of the Rhodes Imperium]

:: Sequence Complete ::
:: Delivery Sequence Initiated ::

TonnyT

To the Magister Equitem of the Rhodes Imperium, Nicole Rose.
We at Imperium would be glad to assist you, we keep all our licences on this page current, and they are at your disposal.
To answer your second question, I've heard of this Timothy Carlisle, but I've not had the pleasure of meeting him.

Sincerity the CEO of Novus Imperium Corporation,
-Tony Carlisle

Quote from: Ben on June 29, 2017, 09:51:58 AM
:: Messaging Systems Online ::
:: Outgoing Message Sequence Initiated ::
:: Encryption level = 1 ::
:: Recipients = Tony Carlisle ::

Greetings Mr. Carlisle,

We have been scanning your fleet catalog and have noticed the design and versatility that appears inherent in your ships. At surface level we are rather impressed.

Assuming the licences are still current, we would like permission to use the following ships:
-Longbow = QTY: 2
-Tomahawk = QTY: 2
-Xiphos = QTY: 2 (if possible, we would prefer a version modified without storage tanks)
-Billhook = QTY: 4
-Claymore = QTY: 1

Pardon my curiousity, but do you have any relation to Timothy Carlisle?

Kind Regards,
      Nicole Rose
      Magister Equitem of the Rhodes Imperium
[On behalf of: Benjamin Rhodes, Commander of the Rhodes Imperium]

:: Delivery Sequence Initiated ::
Novus Imperium Corporation
CEO: Tony Carlisle

Today our concern must be with the future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do.

-President John Fitzgerald Kennedy

TonnyT

I have to agree with Keeper Decagon, I've seen a few instances where a ship would be stronger with the "floating armor". In low to medium density particulate it holds up well. In my opinion it can also lower overall energy cost compared to a ship of the same size that completely fills the gap.
Quote from: Keeper Decagon on May 20, 2017, 12:52:52 PM

Indeed, if used correctly it can make a ship noticeably tougher. For example, my Hydraxil Collective ships all use a sort of "ablative armour", which is basically a strip of armour made up of slopes that is suspended above the main hull. This has the curious result of making them more resistant to light and medium-strength threats, since the armour can regenerate and rebuild much faster than if it was a slab of cubes. Or maybe not, perhaps that's just my perception. *shrugs*

And yes, it makes them look cool. I have used suspended hulls in numerous designs (where appropriate, of course), most prominently in my Hydraxil and Crystallid ship designs.
Novus Imperium Corporation
CEO: Tony Carlisle

Today our concern must be with the future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do.

-President John Fitzgerald Kennedy