Custom Map: Nice Job 8: The Lifeguard

Started by AutoPost, May 11, 2010, 12:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 8: The Lifeguard

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
- 536 emitters including: 4 with 1000 intensity, 28 with 750 intensity and 40 with 500 intensity.
- 3 little children lost at sea.
- 1 person who can help them: YOU! What are you waiting for???

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 8: The Lifeguard
Difficulty:
Medium
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
- 536 emitters including: 4 with 1000 intensity, 28 with 750 intensity and 40 with 500 intensity.
- 3 little children lost at sea.
- 1 person who can help them: YOU! What are you waiting for???
Description:
Today you are a lifeguard on a beautiful sandy beach.

Three children left the swimming area, indicated by the buoys. They got surprised by the tide, but were able to hang on to some cliffs. Luckily all children wear a safety ring, but how long will these last?

Do a nice job and safe the children in time. After that put up a flag on the southern hill, indicating the dangerous conditions.
Download page:
Nice Job 8: The Lifeguard
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Vexsin

once I got the timing down, it wasn't so bad =D

UpperKEES

Yeah, it's my only map with high intensity emitters, but they shouldn't be a problem as 472 emitters are actually sucking the creeper away. With the correct timings you can keep the pods alive for a long time, but even without that you can win if you're just fast.

RichieRich

I need to buy a new computer to do this one >:(

UpperKEES

Do you mean you experience lag? That's strange, as I never noticed any slow down myself. All high intensity emitters fire only once per 3 minutes and all zero intensity emitters fire every 5 seconds.

Spoiler
You don't need to build a lot of structures to solve this one (up to 3-4 energy plus about 10 blasters and some speed nodes is what I used).
[close]

Edit: correction, the zero emitters work every 5 seconds

RichieRich

I have a 2 year old state of the art at the time small laptop. The processor is only 1.6Gz with 2megs of RAM.

I think you mentioned elsewhere that the number of emitters doesnt affect performance but for some reason this map just crawls.

Given my computer, it's my problem, not yours  :)

J

If you want more emitters that suck many Creeper away play Perfect Tsunami. That uses a total of 912 emitters.
topic page

UpperKEES

Quote from: jstudio on May 12, 2010, 10:26:47 AM
If you want more emitters that suck many Creeper away play Perfect Tsunami. That uses a total of 912 emitters.

It is of course not the amount that makes the difference, but how you use them. I could easily let them suck away the creeper every 0.1 second, but that wouldn't leave enough to fight against.

I found adjusting/fine tuning so many emitters the hardest part of this map. It took hours to do so because changing the value for each emitter takes more time than deleting them all and then clone them again.

This is my second (and last) map that uses a large number of emitters to test the mechanics. The first one was The Clockmaker where I tried to simulate moving emitters.

But enough with the testing now, as I'm convinced that the best maps contain just a limited number of emitters, preferably with a 'normal' intensity (at least to my taste).

Quote from: RichieRich on May 12, 2010, 09:51:57 AM
I have a 2 year old state of the art at the time small laptop. The processor is only 1.6Gz with 2megs of RAM.

I think you mentioned elsewhere that the number of emitters doesnt affect performance but for some reason this map just crawls.

Given my computer, it's my problem, not yours  :)

It's probably your video accelerator that makes the difference (as with most laptops). The rest of your computer is more than sufficient.

The number of emitters indeed doesn't seem to influence the lag. Maps with 300+ emitters run smoothly on my machine, while a map with only 6 emitters but 30-40 pre-built structures does lag. I guess only Virgil knows the real answer to this....

SPIFFEN

Very nice made map =)
QuoteI found adjusting/fine tuning so many emitters the hardest part of this map. It took hours to do so because changing the value for each emitter takes more time than deleting them all and then clone them again.
I belive you did use some time adjusting this =)

I got scared when i first looked at it , and havent given it an chance before now =(
And it isnt that scary when you first get started =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Thanks Spif! :)

I can imagine it looks scary, especially all those emitters and the first time the wave starts, but it hardly reaches the beach. When you fire with a blaster at the coast line, the wave will even retract by itself (which also sometimes happens if you wait long enough, but then the pods won't survive).

snowmaker (JM)

That took me a minute or two to get the totem. If I play this map again I will be able to lessen the time. :)

UpperKEES

Yeah, that totem isn't as easy as it looks.... ;D

At least you know what to build now! ;)

PS: doing all maps again with your new nickname?

DethbyIT

That was a great map!
I kept coming back to it, but could never figure out how to finish - then I went up to the articfact and read it.

Your maps are always beatable, but they do take persistence (which is a good thing).

Thanks,
dbit

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on January 04, 2011, 06:02:49 AM
That was a great map!

Thanks! :)

I kept coming back to it, but could never figure out how to finish - then I went up to the articfact and read it.

Heheh! ;D Yeah, timing is essential for this one.

Your maps are always beatable, but they do take persistence (which is a good thing).

You got that right!  8)