Engine Speed: Should Total Ship Mass be a Factor?

Started by 4xC, January 30, 2016, 08:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

Since all the engines that make the ships move are all identical and it is possible to modify ships to have more than one engine. I wonder if the speed in which each ship can move around should also depend on the mass of the modules and body.

In this case, the more cells the ship's body takes up and the more modules the ship has, the slower it would move. The modules may as well also have their own mass as well.

Maybe even have ship body cells be worth varying amounts of mass, darker being heavier and lighter being... well LIGHTER. :D

I say mass because weight, in the politically correct world of physics, weight is gravity-dependant whereas mass is the actual consumption of solid existance so to speak.

I know this may be a pretty difficult feature to implement, but not only would it make a lot of sense, but I think it would also be pretty cool to see in action, watch as heavier ships snail their way into the battle while tiny little fighter ships zoom from place to place in the blink of an eye (metaphorically speaking).

If nothing else, why not include an upgrade that boosts the movement speed of ships or have ships move faster depending on how many engines they have. Or how much of any of this is already in the game if any?
C,C,C,C

Nicant

I think that is already in the game. In the video Game4==ParticleFleet, the grabber ship was very fast because it was small and had two engines. While the custom MK7 ship in the video VeryTruelyYours was slower than usual.
CW4 hype!!

jakey1947

When you think about it the acceleration of a ship should be affected by the total mass not the speed (although it would be harder to program). generally slower speed for higher mass make sense to the majority unless you over think it. because in space there is no friction from air around you so a maximum speed would only be caused by physics its self (e.g the speed of light) but the acceleration is changed by the mass no matter what the circumstance. although a speed limit would make the game seem much cleaner anyway.