dark beam energy supply issue

Started by teknotiss, January 31, 2012, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

i was wondering if anyone could help shed light on something for me?
when i was trying for major overkill on a nexus i noted that i could only run 4 dark beams and 6 to 8 blasters (with 5/6 beacons and 20 techdomes a minor energy drain) before the dark beams started to run low on energy.
i was rocking about +200/-60 and had rifts next to each of the beams and amongst the blasters.
is there a packet limit?
can it be adjusted?
is it a bug for me?
couldn't find a relevant post so it could just be me
cheers in advance
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

CobraKill

There is alimit to 60 packets per second. There is a silly "feature" that if you have atleast 1 crystal of energy, you can have infinite energy output (as much as you are collecting) Do remeber you only need 1 to 2 beams if you bounce them right and make sure you hit the nexus with Conversion bombs, as you can only damage the nexus when no creeper is under it.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

teknotiss

so if i have some crystal instore then energy flows at whatever demand then otherwise 60packets per whatever? that seems strange?
hmmm this is an issue for my map designs cos i was wanting to do loads of darkbeams but only 1 mirror!
so if i put in the text the player must hold the last crystal in storage to get the packet "speed boost" to complete the mission i might only get half the "this map is impossible" complaint? ;)
thanks for the info.
i might have to see if that feature can be changed, seems too limiting. perhaps theres a reason?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Kithros

Quote from: teknotiss on February 01, 2012, 04:37:31 PM
so if i have some crystal instore then energy flows at whatever demand then otherwise 60packets per whatever? that seems strange?
hmmm this is an issue for my map designs cos i was wanting to do loads of darkbeams but only 1 mirror!
so if i put in the text the player must hold the last crystal in storage to get the packet "speed boost" to complete the mission i might only get half the "this map is impossible" complaint? ;)
thanks for the info.
i might have to see if that feature can be changed, seems too limiting. perhaps theres a reason?

Well, the reason the limit is in place is to prevent lag from too many packet paths being calculated at once (especially if you pause and start building lots of buildings at once) - as for why using crystals should get around it, I'm still not entirely sure why that was necessary - but in any case, it probably will not be changing.

One idea is to have a bunch of stacked 1 energy crystals with 0 score that cost say 2 energy to pick  up (so the player can't use it as free storage), and make sure the player knows about the limitation - if the player accidentally uses all their crystals, they can pick up another 1 energy crystal.

teknotiss

thanks for the tip that should work!
nice one