Biggest custom map contributors

Started by Karsten75, April 05, 2010, 01:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

Quote from: Kamron3 on April 06, 2010, 04:36:33 PM
I believe that Virgil should go for a 'free' version of the game to where (if it is possible) you could purchase upgrades with real money. Like in Warzone TD Extended, I bought 4000 coins. I believe the Dev gets 60%, Mochimedia gets 30-35% and the domain hosting the game gets 5-10%. 4000 coins costs $5 and I got $0.50 from the share.

So if Virgil makes a new game, players that like flash games can buy upgrades with mochimedia for X amount of coins per upgrade.
If players buy the game that is not the flash version, they spend lets say $20 for it. They get all the upgrades PLUS other various items and stuff.

Math:

Let's say there are 20 upgrades at 500 coins each.

They will spend $5 per 8 upgrades, so 20 upgrades costs around $12.50.

The only way this would work is if Virgil put a ton of stuff in the full version, but only maybe half the stuff, while keeping gameplay and wanting people to pay.

Virgil could crank out a bit more per game this way ;)

_k

Or keep it at 10$?  :D

The Creep Destroyer

SIMPLE IS BETTER! DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE! *LIKE MY CAPS LOCK* 10$
:P
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Kamron3

Xylnalya

You'll have to take into account that such a payment system targets a different audience. There are countless discussions here and there about fees or ongoing costs of software versus fixed prices. Even for the maths, you're not caluclating closely enough to reality.
For a decent extrapolation you'd need rough estimates of both target audience's numbers. Even if you somehow manage to give those two a realistic outlook for a game that doesn't have anything to show off yet and solely exists as code and plans visible to Virgil, you'll still need to compare the income both of you have made. This would require both of you to open up all of your incomes concerning CW (for Virgil) and gapgames (for you).
Quote from: Kamron3
I believe the Dev gets 60%, Mochimedia gets 30-35% and the domain hosting the game gets 5-10%. 4000 coins costs $5 and I got $0.50 from the share.
Now, since you're not exactly sure how much of said income would remain in Virgils posession, (more or less) extensive reasearch ought to be done, both for what's standard and who could make what deal for what game. Keep in mind that the game we're talking about is far from presentable.

I doubt Virgil so far thought of an implementation which would allow such a system to take root in the game at all. (Assuming there's finished code at all - No offense intended, Virgil. I don't want to talk you down, I'm just talking about own experiences where code never gets labeled 'done' until the project's released XD) Yet, if you look at CW and the quite well outcome Virgil mentioned once or twice there's a good chance to build upon the reputation and the game to allow for a better start. On the other hand, taking up a system with controversal view upon by many users bears a far greater chance for failure.

Kamron3

RevShare has to be enabled for the game in order for it to be able to get a share of the revenue if someone buys from your domain.

_k

Jehoel

Quote from: Xylnalya on April 07, 2010, 02:46:25 AM
You'll have to take into account that such a payment system targets a different audience. There are countless discussions here and there about fees or ongoing costs of software versus fixed prices. Even for the maths, you're not caluclating closely enough to reality.
For a decent extrapolation you'd need rough estimates of both target audience's numbers. Even if you somehow manage to give those two a realistic outlook for a game that doesn't have anything to show off yet and solely exists as code and plans visible to Virgil, you'll still need to compare the income both of you have made. This would require both of you to open up all of your incomes concerning CW (for Virgil) and gapgames (for you).
Quote from: Kamron3
I believe the Dev gets 60%, Mochimedia gets 30-35% and the domain hosting the game gets 5-10%. 4000 coins costs $5 and I got $0.50 from the share.
Now, since you're not exactly sure how much of said income would remain in Virgils posession, (more or less) extensive reasearch ought to be done, both for what's standard and who could make what deal for what game. Keep in mind that the game we're talking about is far from presentable.

I doubt Virgil so far thought of an implementation which would allow such a system to take root in the game at all. (Assuming there's finished code at all - No offense intended, Virgil. I don't want to talk you down, I'm just talking about own experiences where code never gets labeled 'done' until the project's released XD) Yet, if you look at CW and the quite well outcome Virgil mentioned once or twice there's a good chance to build upon the reputation and the game to allow for a better start. On the other hand, taking up a system with controversal view upon by many users bears a far greater chance for failure.

Huh? ???
Though it is the Reader who undergoes the journey, it is the Writer who is the creator of worlds
~D'ni Script~

GVS

I feel honored to be on this here list.  8)
Hey hey hey, if u click on the link below good things will happen for me (and maybe you too but who cares anyway) So click on it!

(^^^) shark

http://www.omgpop.com/?r=zpfy

ontheworld

i say just 10 bucks to buy, no upgrade system.

Seriously, i kinda feel like this game alone could be on the shelves for 20

Kamron3

Quote from: ontheworld on May 09, 2010, 01:56:05 PM

I probably wouldn't have bought the game for $20.

_k

ontheworld

Quote from: Kamron3 on May 09, 2010, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: ontheworld on May 09, 2010, 01:56:05 PM

I probably wouldn't have bought the game for $20.

_k

me neither, but cmon, look at it, 55 lvls, and 20+ pages of custom maps, this is a game with nearly no time limit

Krell

yea but I wouldn't have bought for $20 Now that's I've played it I would have, but what about all those new and old members who won't touch a game that they aren't sure of for $20? Just stick with what works, $10 each.

Twi

I'm here.
Hi.

Seriously, what are we talking about? I got lost somewhere...  ???
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Blaze

Quote from: Twi on May 13, 2010, 10:23:19 PM
I'm here.
Hi.

Seriously, what are we talking about? I got lost somewhere...  ???

Same. And I've kept up with it!

J

I think the list need some changes.

(Virgil has made 65, for if someone want Virgil in the list.)

SPIFFEN

QuoteI think the list need some changes. (Virgil has made 59 maps, not 55)
K75 said this long time ago :
QuoteLOL, we should have counted your maps for all the various games and you'd still be the winner, since you made not only the 55 maps with the game, but the traiing sim, the demo and 4 custom maps.  Which brings up another question - when are we going to see a custom map from you again?

Dont think anybody cares about the list any more , many players post many maps all the time .  ::)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links