Map Editor

Started by Apocalypstic, November 25, 2009, 04:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypstic

It seems to me as if I'm the one making at the least HALF of the maps available for downloading... doesn't anyone else have the map maker? Come on guys, put it to good use. If you don't like the preset map textures you can make your own, so whats there not to like? All you need is paint to make a custom image/texture, so its very simple! We aren't taking full advantage of this system here!

On a side-note, do you, virgilw, test every map before it is submitted? I was also wondering if you could update the map editor, so we could decide what technologies we start with, and place weapon schematics(Except maybe Thor? Because you know...Thor just makes everything too easy!), and place buildings that aren't complete yet...like, you could have a slide bar when selecting a structure that determines how complete it is, and if you want, for the weapons/Odin City you could have another bar for health. Oh yea, and an option to see the space that a structure is currently taking, I know its a small detail, but it would help. And besides, you could make it a turn on/off option so it wouldn't affect us negatively in any way.
Look over here! Is it a word?! Is it a sentence?! No! It's a distraction!

Aurzel

i've been thinking the same thing, we want changeable tech levels, it would do wonders for my campaign, as well as the option of putting the thor nanoschematics along with all the others can make more varied maps, i'm fully in support of the suggested updates apocalypstic has said

knucracker

Yes.... the ability to set which technologies are available on the map... and a way to unlock them.  I'll have to see if I can't fit this into a map editor update.....

Mrmcdeath

Im trying to make some good maps but every time i try it turns out too easy or too hard. The update would make it alot easier to make maps. Maybe you should also make the map have underground like tunnels  ::) But 1 think at a time.  ;D
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

knucracker

One key to making good maps is to err on the side of easy.... but then to make small tweaks to the terrain or the Creeper emitters to increase the skill required for the map.  Basically, you can take an almost random, haphazard map and make it playable or impossible by tweaking the emitters (their location and constants).  This is basically how I balanced the conquest missions in the full game.

Mrmcdeath

Thanks that might work. Right now im making a map where you are on a rock in the middle of a volcano and you have to try to get out before it overflows.
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

Aurzel

i've always found that if the map is too hard, you can put somewhere near the/some emitter/s where most of the creeper will take a few minutes to pool up or even a small wall to force it to go round at first while it eats away the wall
if you find its too easy then just up the emitters stats or even better add 1 or 2 small easy to beat ones which will put immediate pressure on the player