how is that possible?

Started by greatatemi, June 23, 2014, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asbestos

No, the Born Leader achievement. You know, on Steam?

arandomhalo

Quote from: Cavemaniac on September 04, 2014, 05:29:12 PM
Umm.

It's not an achievement if you cheat.

Quote from: Asbestos on September 04, 2014, 05:59:53 PM
No, the Born Leader achievement. You know, on Steam?

I believe Cavemaniac is pointing out that the word achievement means you've achieved something but the word cheat means you haven't achieved something.  It's a contradiction in terms to say you got your achievement by cheating.  Sure, technically on Steam it's still called an achievement either way, but you know whether you've actually earned it.

So the answer I'm getting is "when we say need we actually mean really, really want."  And I'm good with that.  It seems like everyone here is good with that, so long as the cheated score doesn't get posted, because that pushes every legitimate score down the list.  And those who achieve don't get the achievement because those who faked the achievement got the achievement.  That is unjust.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some bug in the game that the only workaround would be to cheat, or some other scenario in which cheating is literally the only course of action to keep the gameplay going.

Courtesy

So, there was this game I really liked in my youth that was 97 hours long.
But when it got translated to the USA, our localized copy somehow broke savepoints. This game was now unsavable.
I considered it a valid reason to cheat and enable the ability to save anywhere.

______
We have a stickied thread with a save data that is at the end of Farbor: Some people are not good enough to beat content, but they want to see the rest of the game, and do not believe future content will be too difficult for them.

______
I have a game on steam that has achievements for beating the game on Normal, Hard, and Easy. Normally when you beat a game on hard, it auto gives the easy and normal achievements, this game didn't. I loaded my 'endgame' data and used a hack to reduce the difficulty to normal, and then another time to easy, to collect the other achievments. I deem that convenience more than 'neccesity', but it saved me 90 hours.
______
Those are my three examples of when cheating can be considered "necessary" by someone. I'm strongly against cheating normally, but can understand the reasoning behind these.

Grayzzur

This game does not have different "difficulty" levels, and already allows you to save anywhere. There are YouTube videos showing exactly how to beat Farbor.

Cheating is never necessary -- it's always a choice. You do not need to get all the achievements or complete all the maps, you want to. I find no pleasure in having badges I did not actually earn. I may eventually read walk-thru guides or watch videos if I can't figure it out on my own, but then I actually do it -- and some people may feel that method is "cheating" to some degree. You are certainly free to play your copy of the game your way, to get enjoyment out of it.

Several of the steam achievements for this game have served only to flood Colonial Space with cruddy achievement maps, however it also spurred a number of people to purchase the game which is good for V. Good for V means we get another game out of him in the future, so we'll suffer the occassional achivement map. I play the non-steam version of CW3 and don't bother with the achievements.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Lz_erk

CheatEngine is fun, and that's the point, right? I've used it to go back through classic ROMs and steal NPCs' OP weapons. My brother used it to give Samus's armor a spiffy recolor in Super Metroid, and a black sword in A Link to the Past that set monsters on fire.

It's the score submissions that irk me [and everyone else]. I'd laugh if someone posted a time of 0:00:1 on an obscure and distant Prospector map once, but the flood of <30 second times in the starting systems is obnoxious.

4xC

Quote from: Lz_erk on October 23, 2014, 02:43:10 PM
CheatEngine is fun, and that's the point, right? I've used it to go back through classic ROMs and steal NPCs' OP weapons. My brother used it to give Samus's armor a spiffy recolor in Super Metroid, and a black sword in A Link to the Past that set monsters on fire.

It's the score submissions that irk me [and everyone else]. I'd laugh if someone posted a time of 0:00:1 on an obscure and distant Prospector map once, but the flood of <30 second times in the starting systems is obnoxious.

Considering the fact that the CW series is a product of independent work instead of corporate work like the Metroid series, there is an achievement on Steam for a place in the top 10 times, this series has the overall competence and popularity to stand up to corporate series', and CheatEngines are meant to assist when necessary instead of ruin perfectly good game concepts like good time scores, this should not be happening AT ALL.
C,C,C,C

iamltr27

One of the ADMINs, virgilw, has a thread up where he has requested that players report impossible scores so that he can manually clean up some of the hacked times. 
Look for the thread "Suspicious Scores and Inappropriate Names".

Michionlion

virgilw is the developer, and also an admin, FYI.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Asbestos

I'm pretty sure virgilw is also the only admin. Everyone else is just moderators, right?

iamltr27

Quote from: Michionlion on November 14, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
virgilw is the developer, and also an admin, FYI.

I thought that was the case, but I didn't wan't to mis-state facts since I wasn't certain. 
Thanks for the info.

LTR