Map save system - Proposed changes

Started by Karsten75, March 03, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godsbrother

Would it be easier than trolling all saves to have an array type variable for each game section(CS, Arc Eternal, Etc) that merely contained the last 5 or so maps played in that section? 
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

burguertime

I am not sure what you meant by "trolling", but if you are suggesting some accesible place where the most recent saves by category could be accessed, then,

I second your request.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Godsbrother

I suppose I should have said crawl instead of troll

Quote from: virgilw on March 06, 2014, 11:32:05 AM
The other two ideas that are interesting are to add a global list of recent saves, and some way to cleanup those saves.  This is a non-trivial amount of work, though.  The most robust way would be to crawl all directories of interest, look for save files, then show the list.  The list would have to be grouped somehow so that saves for the same map were collapsed into single entries in the list (and these entries could be expanded).  There could be hundreds, or even thousands of save files so the list would have to be smart about what it shows (performance reasons).

And to clarify, while cleaning up saves is a worthwhile thing for some people.  I was just expanding on what Cavemaniac and Karstan75 said.  While trying to point out that just focusing on last maps played, instead of all  saves, might be significantly quicker to code and have more immediate use for the community. 
Of course Virgil has his own priorities, and rightly so.  Love the game Virgil  ;D
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

Karsten75

QuoteMar 6, 2014: Added support for disabling auto saves at mission exit. (In Misc settings)

In the latest Beta 1.87. I'm delighted to see that Virgil has implemented a basic solution to one of the issues. :)

Thanks!

hbarudi

Ok, overall it is possible to manually delete save files provided that the main progress of the game such as green circle planets turning to yellow triangles or nothing,
so just delete the auto save which is titled map name-auto.cw3 and the 4 saves are map name-0.cw3 where 0 can be 1 2 or 3
overall, this game is good at saving compared to previous one and I do like auto save imagine an hour lost when you x the game without auto save.
I do wish for more save slots though since some maps need them.
I do also wish for a delete save button with a confirmation dialog enabled or disabled by settings so that we don't have to do things manually. This is my comment about saving.