Colonial Space

Started by knucracker, December 22, 2013, 09:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Quote from: Michionlion on December 24, 2013, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: miquelfire on December 24, 2013, 08:58:53 AM
Is there a way to remove downloaded maps?

Key word downloaded, G.  If you're on windows, you can find your Colonial Space folder here: My Documents\CreeperWorld3\ColonialSpace.  In that folder, there is another folder named 'maps'  Delete the mapnumber.cw3 file, where mapnumber corresponds to the Colonial Space Map # value in the top left corner of the map tile in Colonial Space.
My bad, blame a loss of electricity and resultant lack of coffee for the mental lapse.  In case you were wondering, that post was made from a mobile device.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

Quote from: Grauniad on December 24, 2013, 10:56:06 AM

Key word downloaded, G.  If you're on windows, you can find your Colonial Space folder here: My Documents\CreeperWorld3\ColonialSpace.  In that folder, there is another folder named 'maps'  Delete the mapnumber.cw3 file, where mapnumber corresponds to the Colonial Space Map # value in the top left corner of the map tile in Colonial Space.
My bad, blame a loss of electricity and resultant lack of coffee for the mental lapse.  In case you were wondering, that post was made from a mobile device.

Totally understandable.  Good luck getting your electricity back!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Nephthys

Quote from: Grauniad on December 24, 2013, 10:56:06 AM

Much sympathy for the lack of electricity! Did that earlier this month. No fun. Saw the news on BBC of the storms & thought of folks from this board that might be effected. Hope all is going better! /off topic

knucracker

The beta topic has been updated with a build to 1.51
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0

For map makers you definitely want to grab this build.  In this build when you finalize a map the game will take a screenshot of the map and scale it.  That screenshot will be used as the thumbnail image that people see when they browse maps.  This is an improvement in many cases on the quality of the image that will be shown to most people.  If you already have a finalized map but have not uploaded it, then finalize the map again before uploading the map so that the screenshot will be taken.

Clean0nion

Request fot 1.51.1 or something: Move the nebula graphic down to it doesn't partially cover the CS title

Grauniad

Quote from: virgilw on December 31, 2013, 07:42:51 PM
The beta topic has been updated with a build to 1.51
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0

For map makers you definitely want to grab this build.  In this build when you finalize a map the game will take a screenshot of the map and scale it.  That screenshot will be used as the thumbnail image that people see when they browse maps.  This is an improvement in many cases on the quality of the image that will be shown to most people.  If you already have a finalized map but have not uploaded it, then finalize the map again before uploading the map so that the screenshot will be taken.

Some improvements are pretty awesome... Nice. ;)

asmussen

I've noticed that on the forums for CW1 and CW2, the threads created for user submitted maps do not appear when searching for unread topics since last visit. Is that feature planned at some point in the future for the threads created for Colonial Space maps?
Shawn Asmussen

Grauniad

Quote from: asmussen on December 31, 2013, 10:55:33 PM
I've noticed that on the forums for CW1 and CW2, the threads created for user submitted maps do not appear when searching for unread topics since last visit. Is that feature planned at some point in the future for the threads created for Colonial Space maps?

When Virgil connected the CW1 comments to the forum, there was already a very large (>1,000 if memory serves, possibly much more) custom map inventory.  In order not to flood the board with new threads pertaining to old maps, he custom-modded some SMF internals to achieve the effect you describe.  He did the same for CW2, for the reason that it existed in the previous game.

Unfortunately, the hand-modifications makes it difficult to upgrade the forum software. So we're looking at how the current setup is received and if it does not cause a great deal of problems, then Virgil may possibly remove the modifications for the older version, easing the upgrade process for the forum software.

Michionlion

Personally, I like the new setup, for as long as there are no more than 5 or 10 maps a day, you can easily sift through them.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

J

Now with the new screenshots, you can view them 'full size' (512x512), however you must download the map before you can see the full-size screenshot. Please allow us to get to the map page (from which the play button actually takes you to the map) without downloading the map (by clicking the thumbnail).

knucracker

Hmmmm...  You raise a good point.  The launch page has become so useful that you want to view it before downloading the map.  The original intent was as a 'confirmation' page for a  game launch.  Now it is the best way to view the details of a map (the enlarged screenshot, the description without scrolling).

So, that sort of means that the Play/Download button on the main list of maps shouldn't be called that.  It should be something more like "View Map".  Then on the launch screen you get the "Play/Download" button.  Doing that would let you get to the launch screen without downloading.  I'm not immediately enamored with the idea of making the Play/Download button do something different that clicking the thumbnail.

Grauniad

Quote from: virgilw on January 02, 2014, 10:22:46 AM
I'm not immediately enamored with the idea of making the Play/Download button do something different that clicking the thumbnail.

Given the change you're mulling over here, it could, however act as a button to do the very same thing though... "Details" screen...

knucracker

Yeah... after messing with it for a while what I have done is added a little button under the thumbnail called "View" (I might change it to say "Details", though).  I'll see if I can make the thumbnail clickable as well.  I left the Play/Download button alone.  The logic for what to show on that row is more complex that you might think.  There are numerous use scenarios for when that button row is shown (list screen, launch screen, report screen) and there are multiple states (map not downloaded, map is downloaded, map is downloading).

By adding a little button under the thumbnail I feel better about making the thumbnail clickable.  Otherwise most some people might not ever know you can now get to the details by clicking the thumbnail.

J

Three not so logical things:
1. Click view scores, it'll take you to the scores page. Then click details, nothing happens. Now click return to map list, and it'll take you to the details page.
2. If you click view scores from the details page and then click return to map list, you'll go back to the details page.
3. If you have already downloaded the map, the play and details buttons do exactly the same. It would be more logical if the play button immediatly starts the map.