Started by AutoPost, July 10, 2020, 04:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8580: another small map

Author: Martin Gronsdal
Size: 25x20

Desc:

Lost in Nowhere

Interesting little puzzle! ..not really sure what the purpose of the pre-built guppy is, though, as it has nowhere to land..
Don't die! :)

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, after my 2nd attempt I still was over 3 minutes... and I probably stared at the map for at least a minute or two and couldn't figure out what Alter Old did to get so close to 2 minutes. Wow.  :o

Maybe the guppy can... um... transform into a suicide bomber? I dunno.

Anyway, thanks for the map!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on July 12, 2020, 01:15:19 AM
Yeah, after my 2nd attempt I still was over 3 minutes... and I probably stared at the map for at least a minute or two and couldn't figure out what Alter Old did to get so close to 2 minutes. Wow.  :o

Maybe the guppy can... um... transform into a suicide bomber? I dunno.

Anyway, thanks for the map!

Could you guys tell me how you solved this? I think I must have omitted something.

Thank you for playing.

Johnny Haywire

I destroyed the guppy & built a terp, then terped the islands down to 1. Moved the terp to the top right island & built a cannon, then used the cannon to move the creeper back enough to terp to 4 or 5 to keep creeper from getting in. Then you just hook up a nullifier.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on July 13, 2020, 10:53:50 AM
I destroyed the guppy & built a terp, then terped the islands down to 1. Moved the terp to the top right island & built a cannon, then used the cannon to move the creeper back enough to terp to 4 or 5 to keep creeper from getting in. Then you just hook up a nullifier.

Hooked to what?

Johnny Haywire

Sorry "hook up" means "connect" - so you just make a relay in the power zone, another relay in the upper right and then nullifier just below that. So it's just a matter of connecting a nullifier to your network.

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on July 13, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
Sorry "hook up" means "connect" - so you just make a relay in the power zone, another relay in the upper right and then nullifier just below that. So it's just a matter of connecting a nullifier to your network.

thank you!

marvinitfox

Nice puzzle map.
Easy enough to solve (using Johnny Haywire's guide) once you realize the starting Guppy is on solid, buildable ground unlike the previous map.

As for the scores?
I have NoFear that some player is a <censored> <redacted> <unmentionable> <4-letter-word> of a <redacted> <Expurgated> who deserves to die a slow, agonizing death while he <unmentionable> <goodgrief!> his <look away kids> up his <unmentionables>.

Johnny Haywire

Lol... yeah, posting 20 seconds is just not being ashamed of using cheat engine, or a better mod perhaps. Alter Old's is legit and much more impressive. But he's a Time Lord or something similar. There are rumors that he was recruited by some company called Cyberdyne for some "Skynet" project that's supposed to involve an advanced AI or something like that.

And I'm pretty sure I was reading on CNN that Donald Trump's online gaming name is "Nofear" so...  :P

Lost in Nowhere

Pretty sure Alter found the same strategy I did, because I just optimized it slightly more and got within a tenth of a second of his score... anyways:
Spoiler
Destroy the guppy, replace it with a terp. While it terraforms the two right platforms to height 1, let it receive exactly 22 ammo packets, then set it to stop resupply; that's exactly how much ammo is needed. Once it's done with those, it will have four packets left; immediately send it to the non-Creeper platform on the right, and start building a cannon. Once built, the cannon will only need one ammo packet to succeed in clearing the platform, so once the first one is sent, set it to stop resupply and send it to the platform with the creeper on it. Terraform the cell immediately below that platform to height 3; the cannon will push the creeper back just enough for the terp to use its remaining energy to raise the terrain by two levels, which is just enough to hold it off to be able to build a nullifier.
While the cannon is in transit, build a relay on the power zone and let the command node start building up energy. Once the terp is done operating, destroy it and the cannon,  and build a second relay and a nullifier, and that's the map.
[close]

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on July 14, 2020, 04:41:37 PM
Pretty sure Alter found the same strategy I did, because I just optimized it slightly more and got within a tenth of a second of his score... anyways:
Spoiler
Destroy the guppy, replace it with a terp. While it terraforms the two right platforms to height 1, let it receive exactly 22 ammo packets, then set it to stop resupply; that's exactly how much ammo is needed. Once it's done with those, it will have four packets left; immediately send it to the non-Creeper platform on the right, and start building a cannon. Once built, the cannon will only need one ammo packet to succeed in clearing the platform, so once the first one is sent, set it to stop resupply and send it to the platform with the creeper on it. Terraform the cell immediately below that platform to height 3; the cannon will push the creeper back just enough for the terp to use its remaining energy to raise the terrain by two levels, which is just enough to hold it off to be able to build a nullifier.
While the cannon is in transit, build a relay on the power zone and let the command node start building up energy. Once the terp is done operating, destroy it and the cannon,  and build a second relay and a nullifier, and that's the map.
[close]

there is something I don't get here. When I do this, the relay (I was thinking of collectors here!!!) on the power zone doesn't reach any of the small islands to east. What has happened?

EDIT:       OMG.... of course, the relays should never be part of this map ;) only collectors

Lost in Nowhere

It should look like this when it's done:
Spoiler
[close]

Martin Gronsdal

Quote from: Lost in Nowhere on July 15, 2020, 02:54:09 AM
It should look like this when it's done:
Spoiler
[close]

yes, thank you. But the point is that I forgot to enter the unit limits. Try to solve this without relays....

marvinitfox

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on July 15, 2020, 05:46:13 AM
Try to solve this without relays....

Easy, takes about 5 minutes.

*kill Guppy, build Terp -> remove the 2 pillars, add a L4 pillar on the track. Needs flying Terp across to N island.
*build cannon, clear creep, allow terp to do its thing. Kill cannon and Terp
*build guppy. fly to island. Build neutralizer (pretected from creep by wall-on-track).
*Profit.

Unless we were also not supposed to be able to rebuild Guppy?