One time only map makers.

Started by Cavemaniac, December 01, 2011, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavemaniac

Has anyone else noticed that a significant number - well over half - of custom maps are submitted by people who have only ever made one map?

Just take a look at the author filter.

Of course, it could be that the same author is submitting maps under different names - and this has happened at least twice to my knowledge.

But I was wondering why so many people never submit another map.

Could it be that they get negative or inadequate feedback from the mods or the community?

What, I find myself asking, can we do to encourage these people who have gone to the effort of downloading the map editor, learning to use it and submitting a map that the mods liked enough to approve?

This is kind of a personal subject for me. I've only ever submitted one map.

And while it's gratifying to note that it is one of the most downloaded custom maps, with one of the highest number of posted scores (meaning that people are enjoying it enough to play it to the end!), I didn't come away inspired to create another map and build on the experience I'd gained.

And I'm not sure why!

All thoughts and input welcome.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

CobraKill

I've only made one, but I have a finished one ready to be played, I just need a score.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

lich98

I've made several (see link in sigy) but I do happen to agree with you. I use "negative*" feedback to help improve my maps so i really don't mind it.

*Consturctive negatice feedback
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

mopa42

For me, it is inspiration or lack thereof. I've only made 2 maps because I wait for a really good idea to strike me. Coming up with a good puzzle or adventure or characters or story or graphics isn't easy, and trying to do many things well at the same time is much harder. I don't like releasing a map unless I'm completely satisfied with it.

J

It's allmost a month ago I submitted my last map (4 november). I'm just running out of good idea's for new maps. I gave myself (too) many ristrictions (fun, not too easy, original). It's not really hard to make a map hard, but when you forget something players could easily beat your map.

dd790

I'm currently working on some maps that follow a (vague) storyline theme errr well they are sort of related.

Problem I have hit is I wanted to do normal and hard versions of the maps as alot of custom maps seem to get the reviews of some people find them too easy and others can't do them at all.

Problem is I am not the best CW or CW2 player so getting a score for my maps in hard mode has been a trial.
I know they are possible for a great player just not me and that's a problem getting scores.

I did finish my first one in hard mode but I did it from loading from the editor not from file so no score  >:(

I am still going to try to get the first 2 maps released tomorrow then aim to release a new map every Monday until I run out of ideas

J

Quote from: dd790 on December 04, 2011, 09:26:06 AM
I am still going to try to get the first 2 maps released tomorrow then aim to release a new map every Monday until I run out of ideas
Don't rush creating a map, post a map when it's ready (you can wait with uploading but don't release them too early)

UpperKEES

Quote from: J on December 04, 2011, 09:38:47 AM
Don't rush creating a map, post a map when it's ready (you can wait with uploading but don't release them too early)

This is a very good advise! Most people don't like playing a 'fixed' map that was uploaded after the first version 'failed'.

Testing your own map is very important. If you design it with a certain strategy in mind, try to play it with different strategies as well.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

Quote from: UpperKEES on December 04, 2011, 12:17:40 PM
If you design it with a certain strategy in mind, try to play it with different strategies as well.
Something that I forget to do many times. Not really needed for straight forward maps.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: dd790 on December 04, 2011, 09:26:06 AM

Problem I have hit is I wanted to do normal and hard versions of the maps as alot of custom maps seem to get the reviews of some people find them too easy and others can't do them at all.

Problem is I am not the best CW or CW2 player so getting a score for my maps in hard mode has been a trial.
I know they are possible for a great player just not me and that's a problem getting scores.

I did finish my first one in hard mode but I did it from loading from the editor not from file so no score  >:(

You can always request that someone test your map - look at this thread.

That way you can get feedback, make improvements and even make a map that's too hard for you to complete - but (unless I've got it wrong) SOMEONE can complete and post a score thereby allowing you to submit it for approval by the map mods.

Remember, if you're asking for help, you're asking someone to spend their time on your project so don't take it lightly.

Keep at it, and for goodness sake make sure you have the most recent version of the editor!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

dd790

Thanks everyone. I had already submitted an unfinished map before reading this :(

I will keep this in mind and anyone that plays my maps and gives good feedback can be testers of future maps.

Already uploaded one though so can't do much about that one :(

crazyone76

I'm thinking about starting to make CW2 maps but idk
my CW1 maps got like...... how 2 say I think 40% of the ppl who played it liked it so idk if i should start making CW2 maps
(just a lame excuse for not having any ideas I can actualy make work)
but I think I will just try :)
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

It's better to try and fail then not trying at all. You can learn from your own foults.

crazyone76

ye I know but still.... (thelazypart)
I'm actualy making a map at the moment but I dont think I will be able to finish it before giving up
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shimizu

I know I'm a bit late coming to the party here...

So far I have made **TWO** maps; I've been working on a third and I think the frustration that I'm hitting may partially explain the 1-map-maker-ness, it is in that because you need to submit a score, to submit the map (a requirement which I by no means think should be changed), sometimes having to go back and make a tiny change more than once - adjusting an emitter, or moving something one square - and then having to replay the entire map again can be slowing down the creation process.  I've replayed my 'new' one twice now and I'm sick of looking at it, esp. since its really 'done' now I just had to tone down the 'evil emitter' in the last room to be a bit more reasonable XD.

Part of what keeps me interested is that at this stage I'm more concerned about trying to 'make it look pretty' rather than 'trying to make it very difficult'.   There are a couple of customs on here that are very, very difficult and I'd like to at some point bring that level of challenge once I am less intimidated by the 'fields' panel in the editor.  I'd like to see additional customisation options in the editor (as far as graphics) but as it is now there is so much you can do with it that making a map can take hours - if the simulation was tweaked and/or the testing process could be shortened somehow I think people would be more inclined to make more maps.
Meow?