Custom Map #195: Liberation Pinball

Started by AutoPost, September 13, 2011, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 15, 2011, 01:08:01 PM
Regarding the nanochips:

You indeed need some additional ore storage later on, but I would focus on other upgrades first. More about that tomorrow.

Time for a few more tips about the first minute of the game:

Spoiler
When you have enough energy from collected crystals (you're probably still collecting them at this point), you'll want to obtain some nanochips as well. They're only worth 5 technytes each, but they'll prove to be very valuable.
[close]

Spoiler
You haven't built any reactors yet and maybe just one blaster is being built when the technytes start coming in. In the meanwhile the pinball is consuming your valuable packets of energy. Now think: what would be the best upgrade(s) to prevent this from happening? The sooner you apply these upgrade(s) the better.
[close]

Edit: typo
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 16, 2011, 03:40:01 PM
Quote from: UpperKEES on September 15, 2011, 01:08:01 PM
Regarding the nanochips:

You indeed need some additional ore storage later on, but I would focus on other upgrades first. More about that tomorrow.

Time for a few more tips about the first minute of the game:

Spoiler
When you have enough energy from collected crystals (you're probably still collecting them at this point), you'll want to obtain some nanochips as well. They're only worth 5 technytes each, but they'll prove to be very valuable.
[close]

Spoiler
You haven't build any reactors yet and maybe just one blaster is being built when the technytes start coming in. In the meanwhile the pinball is consuming your valuable packets of energy. Now think: what would be the best upgrade(s) to prevent this from happening? The sooner you apply these upgrade(s) the better.
[close]

Kees, you should be a teacher! That's what I do with my students.... help them think so that they learn  ;)

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on September 16, 2011, 04:10:41 PM
Kees, you should be a teacher! That's what I do with my students.... help them think so that they learn  ;)

Yeah, giving it all away would be too easy and wouldn't be of any help for future maps.

I am from a family of teachers by the way and I enjoy giving tutorials/workshops for the software systems I develop. :) (These are more complex than my maps. ;))

Ebon Heart

KEES, pretty soon I think you're gonna beat me for most downloaded map... The comments page on this one has already blown mine out of the water... But will the map itself get to 700 downloads? (mines currently at 639, but will likely get higher)
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 16, 2011, 07:23:43 PM
KEES, pretty soon I think you're gonna beat me for most downloaded map... The comments page on this one has already blown mine out of the water... But will the map itself get to 700 downloads? (mines currently at 639, but will likely get higher)

Not sure, but I don't mind, because I understood your map is a very good one as well. Gonna play it soon!

More tips for this one tomorrow....

Ebon Heart

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 16, 2011, 07:50:47 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on September 16, 2011, 07:23:43 PM

Not sure, but I don't mind, because I understood your map is a very good one as well. Gonna play it soon!

More tips for this one tomorrow....
Thanks for the compliment. :D but I'll be the first to admit that that map is really sort of famous just for being famous. It stirred up some infamy among newbs and became popular. Lol.

Gerhard

Hi
Thank you for creating this map.  :)
It is really good and very difficult. It was one big fight from the beginning till the end.
I have no idea how to do this in 20 minutes. I have to wait for more tips to understand how this is possible.  ???
Gerhard

UpperKEES

Quote from: Gerhard on September 17, 2011, 10:55:40 AM
Hi
Thank you for creating this map.  :)
It is really good and very difficult.

Hi Gerhard, thanks! :)

Let me use this opportunity to thank MadMag once more. He created the awesome graphics (background, tiles and the Pesky Pinball character) that gave this map a real pinball machine look.

It was one big fight from the beginning till the end.

Ah, more scores coming in now! (Great time Karsten! Well done! 8)) I think I'll be doing one more run myself next weekend; I need a break first.

I have no idea how to do this in 20 minutes. I have to wait for more tips to understand how this is possible.  ???
Gerhard

Let me start with saying that there's no need to finish this map in 20 minutes. Just being able to finish it is a nice achievement by itself and shows you are very well capable of handling all game mechanics.

That said I know most people like to improve themselves. I know I do. It all starts with playing efficiently (see a couple of posts back for tips about that). To be able to complete this map as fast as possible you'll have to prevent the Creeper from spreading, because dense Creeper can be killed faster and with less energy.

For this the shield tech comes in very handy. If you're able to stop the enemy dig packets from getting dispersed that's even better (although I didn't do this; I just made sure I was ready in time).

Generating technytes with your tech domes also helps, as it will make your weapons better. Finding the right balance between building, fighting, moving and obtaining objects is probably the hardest part and only getting more experience by playing will contribute to getting a good feel for this.

I'll post some more tips later on (starting tonight, Dutch time). You'll see you'll get a much better score when you'd replay the map (I took 30 minutes off my initial score when I did).

UpperKEES

Tip regarding movement of the LS:

Spoiler
I move up along the right side towards the red, green and blue crystals. I take all nanochips along the way as well. When I've reached the top I move a little to the left and start digging for the Ore Rig tech. In the meanwhile I collect the white crystals and the nanochips on the top left. You still hardly haven't built anything, so what's the best upgrade to pick now?
[close]

Time to start building (screenshot included):

Spoiler
To be able to build safely you'll have to dig first (a few cells on the inner wall being the exception). The area indicated with "1" is the largest (and closest) one, so that's a good start. Make sure you don't forget to build some beacons so you can move your LS downwards. Keep an eye on your energy levels and pick up the white crystals on the left as soon as possible.

When a beacon lightens area 2 start digging and building there. Move your LS to the center and start building 2 ore rigs when you've obtained the tech. In the meanwhile collect the white crystals on the right. After that you can start filling up the area's indicated with "3".
[close]

Stay tuned if you still don't make it....

UpperKEES

While building your reactors and tech domes (see tips above) you want to do 2 more things:

Spoiler
Start with the bunker(s) besides the display at the top of the map. Not because they are in danger, but because they will supply you with more useful technytes.
[close]

Spoiler
Make sure you have a few blasters and launchers ready when the terrain below area 2 has decayed. This emitter isn't very strong, but you don't want it to destroy your new buildings. At first it may seem like you can't hold back the Creeper, but this is just the pressure that has build up inside the chamber. After a short while your launchers will control the place and this is the moment to shut them down. Keep only 1 of them firing along with a few blasters to prevent the Creeper from flowing up.
[close]

Also:

Spoiler
Keep an eye on your energy collection/deficit, because you need to keep collecting that nullifier tech. Every second this gets delayed, your weapons will be wasting precious energy.
[close]

Ebon Heart

nice bump. :P I'll help. lmao. It's getting close... Is it bad that I'm actually rooting for your map to beat mine?

Ebon Heart

This map now has the most downloads of any cw2 map, and is the most viewed topic in the cw2 custom maps section. Good job UpperKEES!

UpperKEES

My last tips on this one:

Spoiler
While building up your force to be able to withstand the Creeper soon to be released, you may also want to start obtaining the repulsor tech and (if your energy levels allow for that) the shield tech. Although you can't use repulsors nor shields in area's where the ball bounces around, shields will be very useful to keep the Creeper at bay so you can use launchers to lower the density in the chambers. The repulsors will come in handy when building your nullifiers close to the emitters.
[close]

Spoiler
As soon as the nullifier tech has become available, try to destroy as many gateways as possible, so you can build a shield in its place. It's not necessary to do this, but it will save you lots of time.
[close]

Spoiler
When you have some idle launchers, use them to eliminate the Creeper in front of the capsules. The Creeper there is dense, so it will take a while, but the reward (in technytes) is worth it.
[close]

Of course I'm willing to give more tips & hints, but only in reply to requests, so please tell me where and when you get stuck (feel free to post a screenshot). :)

Colin

Heh, I still haven't beaten this one KEES, but I
haven't looked at any of your hints yet, because
I'm trying to beat it on my own.

@ Ebon,
Well of course! UpperKEES usually doesn't "produce"
nearly as many maps as other people, but when he
finally releases one or two, they get swamped.
Because he is the "original veteran" CW player, and
everyone knows it.  ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

MadMurphy

Now that I have free time and plenty of hints ill try this map again. I will try recording my attempts in the off chance I beat it.