Custom Map: Labyrinth

Started by AutoPost, July 31, 2020, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Labyrinth

Author: Blackstripe

Desc:
Creeper be creep'n around the corners. Modules hidden in the walls. Can you find your way out before the creeper finds you?

Another 'experiment' map for me, this time tinkering with ways to limit build-able space while still providing defensive points.

Blackstripe

For those who have played the map, question for you, would it have been better to map out the exact distances for Relays to cross between the build-able areas on the walls, or is leaving it as-is where you have to clear some of the maze's floor to make the connections across?

cvtfwlbt

Well, for me, having to clear the floors made for some variety, but either way I would have taken the map as it is. One thing I could point out: as this map is very symmetrical, it is ever so slightly asymmetrical in that the first emitter to OC's right is squashed between the pillar and the wall, and you can't approach the bottom right and left sides in exaaaaactly the same way - but his did not stop me from enjoying the map anyway.

Blackstripe

Quote from: cvtfwlbt on August 03, 2020, 01:33:05 PM
Well, for me, having to clear the floors made for some variety, but either way I would have taken the map as it is. One thing I could point out: as this map is very symmetrical, it is ever so slightly asymmetrical in that the first emitter to OC's right is squashed between the pillar and the wall, and you can't approach the bottom right and left sides in exaaaaactly the same way - but his did not stop me from enjoying the map anyway.

Yep, I'm aware of that.  I tried to make them symmetrical, and choosing which side to go for would depend on which module you wanted, Mortars or Drones. But the map has an Even number of tiles, but all the units are odd width.  so planning around those details makes map designs like these tricky.  Doable, and if I were to make another 'Maze' map, I'd probably design more around limited space for energy generation and plan for the spacing issues.