Custom Map: Nice Job 22: The Artist

Started by AutoPost, June 29, 2010, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 22: The Artist

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
I don't expect many scores for this map, as only the true masters of the game will be able to finish it. Again no tricks required, but you might want to have a look at the comments for some tips (as I don't have enough room here). Enjoy!

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 22: The Artist
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
I don't expect many scores for this map, as only the true masters of the game will be able to finish it. Again no tricks required, but you might want to have a look at the comments for some tips (as I don't have enough room here). Enjoy!

Description:
You are a special kind of artist, as you love the combination of math, geometrical shapes and art.

You're inspired by your great example: Maurits Cornelis Escher.  This famous Dutch artist is well known for his repetitive patterns and impossible 3D images that deceive the human eye.

Looking at one of his bird creations you get the impression these birds are looking back at you....

This time Escher isn't fooling you! Better get ready for the toughest battle you've ever played!

(See the comments page at the KnuckleCracker.com forums for hints how to solve this one if you like.)

Download page:
Nice Job 22: The Artist
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Some tips for people who can't get started:

Spoiler
- My first advise is to let the map run for a minute to find out where you'll be able to build initially and where you can't to prevent a premature loss of units.
[close]
Spoiler
- Each emitter can be capped by 1 blaster, unless it gets distracted, which is very likely until you've advanced a bit. In that case better use 2 of them.
[close]
Spoiler
- This map offers a tight balance between available and needed space, so I suggest that you consider well where to place your units.
[close]
Spoiler
- You will need every type of unit. Give it some thought when you're going to conquer a new section.
[close]
Spoiler
- Although you'll be building with a slight deficit during the initial phase, a severe deficit might be fatal later on, so better be patient when extending your infrastructure.
[close]

Let me know if you need more help; I'm willing to give more hints along the way. :)

This map is based on attached painting.

Sqaz

I've already played about 7 min, and got a safe initial position, I never used so many (and only) drones in a map.

Vexsin

terrain looks interesting to fight on...

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on June 29, 2010, 11:09:25 AM
I've already played about 7 min, and got a safe initial position, but it's very hard, I never used so many (and only) drones in a map.

Ah, a different solution than mine already. :P I never built a drone during the first 15 minutes.... I love this game! :D

Quote from: Vexsin on June 29, 2010, 11:11:25 AM
terrain looks interesting to fight on...

Yeah, it really is. I'm not very fond of pattern maps myself because of the repetition, but I figured this would be a nice exception. :)

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 29, 2010, 11:16:35 AM
Quote from: Sqaz on June 29, 2010, 11:09:25 AM
I've already played about 7 min, and got a safe initial position, but it's very hard, I never used so many (and only) drones in a map.

Ah, a different solution than mine already. :P I never built a drone during the first 15 minutes.... I love this game! :D

How did you do it then?
Mortars are too expensive, and blasters don't cover enough terrain.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on June 29, 2010, 11:25:12 AM
Mortars are too expensive

Don't they both cost 50 (without upgrades)? ;)

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 29, 2010, 11:30:41 AM
Mortars are too expensive

Don't they both cost 50 (without upgrades)? ;)

Yep, but mortars use more energy for fewer shots, Virgil once said that.
But I start to hate that manual targetting  :(

UpperKEES

Yep, but mortars use more energy for fewer shots, Virgil once said that.

True, they do more damage for the amount of energy consumed. The drawback however is that drones drop all their bombs in the same area, so the creeper might not have flowed back yet, while a mortar always targets the deepest creeper. So effectively a mortar might be doing more damage, unless your drone is bombing a constantly flooded area (close to a high intensity emitter for instance).

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 29, 2010, 12:21:08 PM
True, they do more damage for the amount of energy consumed. The drawback however is that they drop all their bombs in the same area, so they creeper might not have flowed back, while a mortar always targets the deepest creeper. So effectively a mortar might be doing more damage, unless your drone is bombing a constantly flooded area (close to a high intensity emitter for instance).

But the fact that mortars target the highest creeper can let them shoot at emitters, which causes them to do less damage.
And because drones use less energy, because they don't have to be feuled all the time lowers your deficit, I never had one during the initial minutes.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on June 29, 2010, 12:14:06 PM
But I start to hate that manual targetting  :(

Yeah, that can become annoying, especially remembering to do so. ;)

Quote from: Sqaz on June 29, 2010, 12:31:59 PM
But the fact that mortars target the highest creeper can let them shoot at emitters, which causes them to do less damage.

This can indeed happen with somewhat higher intensity emitters, but I haven't seen it on this map, as the creeper flows into the pools quickly.

And because drones use less energy, because they don't have to be feuled all the time lowers your deficit

Yep. Until they start refuelling and your deficit goes sky high. When you don't deactivate them in certain cases your capping blasters might run dry and you won't be happy.  :o Having some storage could solve this partially (if you're able to keep it filled up, which I doubt in this case).

I never had one during the initial minutes.

I'd like to hear your opinion about this after finishing the map. ;D

I had a nice discussion recently about the use of mortars, see here. After playing some more maps I changed my mind about them and decided to create two maps that would really need them: The Diver and this one. Up till then I was beating almost any map with blasters and drones only. I found the more versatile game play not only more enjoyable, but also more effective, so I'm glad there's a need for every unit in CW. :)

Miss Melissa

great map (as usual), at first i though.. oh no!.. but it wasn't that bad!
definitely still challenging, but compared to some of ur other maps i wouldn't of said this was the hardest.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 29, 2010, 01:02:44 PM
great map (as usual), at first i though.. oh no!.. but it wasn't that bad!
definitely still challenging, but compared to some of ur other maps i wouldn't of said this was the hardest.

Holy sh*t! What a great time! I must have been doing something terribly wrong here.... :P

My score submitted was the first time I finished it (weeks ago), but I still figured I did a nice job. I guess I'll have to reconsider my strategy completely, because I'm sure I overlooked something.

On the other hand it makes sense that an artist performs so well on this map. ;D You definitely deserved to get your own painting in the new upcoming 'Hard Art' series! :)

Miss Melissa

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 29, 2010, 01:16:09 PM

Holy sh*t! What a great time! I must have been doing something terribly wrong here.... :P

My score submitted was the first time I finished it (weeks ago), but I still figured I did a nice job. I guess I'll have to reconsider my strategy completely, because I'm sure I overlooked something.

On the other hand it makes sense that an artist performs so well on this map. ;D You definitely deserved to get your own painting in the new upcoming 'Hard Art' series! :)

;D thank you.. cant wait to see/play it!