how is that possible?

Started by greatatemi, June 23, 2014, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatatemi

Hi everyone. I'm new here so i don't know how things going here, but i have a strange(maybe stupid) question.
I finished the Frykt: Vapen level(finally ;) but then i noticed something that give me a BOOM.
A guy who calls himself S*CK IT completed this level in half minute. :o
Is that even possible or it's just a fake?
I have a pic to prove it if needed

Asbestos

Well, he's obviously just cheating.

4xC

Quote from: greatatemi on June 23, 2014, 04:24:00 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new here so i don't know how things going here, but i have a strange(maybe stupid) question.
I finished the Frykt: Vapen level(finally ;) but then i noticed something that give me a BOOM.
A guy who calls himself S*CK IT completed this level in half minute. :o
Is that even possible or it's just a fake?
I have a pic to prove it if needed

Time Hackers rule the whole franchise, bub. I have seen impossible times on all 3 games both in every genre of map (story, custom, bonus, random, etc.).
C,C,C,C

greatatemi

I agree with you, but the worst thing in this problem, that they ACTUALLY post their time, witch is (for me) unacceptable
Here is the pic for show

4xC

Furthermore, imagine how many people have/are/will flip(ped) their lids about such things like the Steam achievement that requires you to finish within the top 10 times of one particular map all because of this blasted hacking.

Unless there are some really tough or really creative maps and/or possibly if these maps are solved by achievement go-getters really quickly after they are introduced, this hacking would otherwise have to be nonexistant.

And posting these impossible times, I am with you there, greatatemi. I have heard of the concept "adding insult to injury", but "faking victories that appear to have been acquired with impossibly low time consumption among an audience that strives to earn victories while employing low time consumption with sheer skill, strength, and strategy" like we're all supposed to is among my LEAST favorite applications to this concept.
C,C,C,C

Asbestos

Tjgalon

I can understand that there a need to cheat sometimes, but to then post it like you did something great, that just dumb.

iycgtptyarvg

What I don't understand is why the uploading of a time/score isn't simply all the events the player did. Each mouse click and keyboard click at their specific time. Then it is always possible to check whether it was a fake submission.
It is incredibly easy to implement and check.

Years ago I made a Sokoban game where uploading a score meant uploading all your steps. That way cheating is much harder.

4xC

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on August 29, 2014, 11:18:49 AM
What I don't understand is why the uploading of a time/score isn't simply all the events the player did. Each mouse click and keyboard click at their specific time. Then it is always possible to check whether it was a fake submission.
It is incredibly easy to implement and check.

Years ago I made a Sokoban game where uploading a score meant uploading all your steps. That way cheating is much harder.

APM!

That's it! Determining this will certainly help sort out the knights from the knaves.

which A's PM may be harder to track, so here's step one in moving towards that harder tracking method.
C,C,C,C

Asbestos

Maybe we could have the ability to flag map scores, and a mod reviews the reports and deletes cheating times.

knucracker

Right now I do that by hand.... every few weeks (or when I remember to get to it).  It is always very helpful if I have specific examples to go look for on maps.  I start with those, then compare across maps and clean things up.  Perhaps the most cost effective way would be for me to just create a topic people can post suspicious scores to.  I always have to be careful, since somebody can report legit scores.  But looking at the poster (how long they have been around and their forum history) can help me with that.

So let's see how this works:
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=17076.0

arandomhalo

This topic comes up often and we unanimously agree that it's dishonest and insulting to the hardworking and skilled.  However, most of the time somebody adds the statement "I understand there's sometimes a need to cheat..."  and I'm never quite sure about that statement.  Not trying to be combative or anything, but I'm struggling to find an example where cheating is necessary.  I could see "Sometimes cheating can be fun" or "Sometimes cheating is useful" but I don't know that it's ever needed.  The answer probably lies in semantics so here's the definition I'm using - cheat: to violate the rules.  I totally get that in the context of video games the more common definition - to defraud or deceive - is not the definition we're using. 

If the game offers rules a player uses to overcome a certain challenge, then cheating would be when the player violates the games' rules in order to overcome the challenge or at least give the appearance that they have.  Right?  So I'm not seeing where that's ever something you need to do - after all the game provided you a path that stayed within the rules.

Asbestos

Well, sometimes there are really frustrating maps that you desperately want to do, or you have the need to complete this one map, or maybe you just want to get the achievement.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Asbestos on September 03, 2014, 06:57:41 PM
Well, sometimes there are really frustrating maps that you desperately want to do, or you have the need to complete this one map, or maybe you just want to get the achievement.

Umm.

It's not an achievement if you cheat.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

kwinse

Besides, if you're cheating to "earn" something, why submit the score?