Bug - Farbor Shield

Started by Greywolf, October 07, 2013, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhackwyatt

I'm confused by this.  I click Farbor and Otrav is red (meaning I need the key still) and Meso and Krig are green.  I look at Krig and it has a green ring around the planet and the sector map shows 1/1, which is right.  I go to Meso and it has a triangle around it and a red exclamation mark, the sector map shows 0/1.  I have completed Meso 100% so something isn't right.

Michionlion

make sure you actually claimed victory on Meso - if you don't have the latest version shield keys only apply when you've 'won' a map.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

zhackwyatt

Quote from: Michionlion on January 25, 2014, 02:03:28 PM
make sure you actually claimed victory on Meso - if you don't have the latest version shield keys only apply when you've 'won' a map.

I do have the latest version.  I just played Otrav, got the shield key, claimed victory and I'm able to access Farbor, but there is still a triangle around Otrav and the sector map still shows 0/2.

Michionlion

Hm, that is weird.  I remember somebody else having this bug, but I think it resolved itself after a restart, although he wasn't able to progress.  Virgil might have more knowledge on this than I.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

knucracker

The completion indicator around a world is based off of the presence of a non zero score for that world in the local mission stats file. If such a score exists then the world is green. If not the world will show a yellow triangle if there is an auto save file present.
You can force a non zero score onto a world by flying to it then pressing alt-u. Then exit to the main menu and then back into the system.

zhackwyatt

Quote from: virgilw on January 25, 2014, 04:19:16 PM
The completion indicator around a world is based off of the presence of a non zero score for that world in the local mission stats file. If such a score exists then the world is green. If not the world will show a yellow triangle if there is an auto save file present.
You can force a non zero score onto a world by flying to it then pressing alt-u. Then exit to the main menu and then back into the system.

That seems to work as a workaround.  But there is still a problem with it saving the score right?

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on January 25, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

Surely that wouldn't force key collection, though?

knucracker

No, key collection and inhibitor destruction are unaffected by pressing alt-u.  All that alt-u does is look at the mission for the current planet to see if it has a score in missionstats.  If so, alt-u does nothing.  If there is no score, alt-u will set a non-zero score.

Now, I have never identified why some people on occasion can get this issue.  I'm not sure there is one cause.   Once possible cause is running two copies of the game at once.  The older copy could overwrite the missionstats when it exits 'erasing' any of the newer progress written out by the younger copy.

Other possible issues involve anything from permissions problems (perhaps just at the time of the write), to improper system shutdowns that cause the data to not be written to disk because it was still in the drive cache.

The final round of potential issues relate to some game bug that causes the score to be written under the wrong GUID.  I have only found one problem with that, and it was triggered by loading a mission then restarting the mission from within the game menu (not the planetary menu).  If you did that, you would lose your GUID and at mission completion the score would be written out but to the wrong GUID.  I fixed this several weeks ago, though.  So any of the more recent beta builds would not exhibit this problem.

zhackwyatt

Quote from: virgilw on January 27, 2014, 10:14:32 AM
No, key collection and inhibitor destruction are unaffected by pressing alt-u.  All that alt-u does is look at the mission for the current planet to see if it has a score in missionstats.  If so, alt-u does nothing.  If there is no score, alt-u will set a non-zero score.

Now, I have never identified why some people on occasion can get this issue.  I'm not sure there is one cause.   Once possible cause is running two copies of the game at once.  The older copy could overwrite the missionstats when it exits 'erasing' any of the newer progress written out by the younger copy.

Other possible issues involve anything from permissions problems (perhaps just at the time of the write), to improper system shutdowns that cause the data to not be written to disk because it was still in the drive cache.

The final round of potential issues relate to some game bug that causes the score to be written under the wrong GUID.  I have only found one problem with that, and it was triggered by loading a mission then restarting the mission from within the game menu (not the planetary menu).  If you did that, you would lose your GUID and at mission completion the score would be written out but to the wrong GUID.  I fixed this several weeks ago, though.  So any of the more recent beta builds would not exhibit this problem.

The last scenario may have described my problem.  Even though I'm running 1.60, my files were probably already messed up from that bug that it looks like you fixed in 1.55.