Custom Map: Hard Art 8: Mooon

Started by AutoPost, November 17, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Hard Art 8: Mooon

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
As usual the start may cost you a few tries, but after that you'll find yourself in the middle of an interesting technical fight.

This is my second Hard Art map based on a painting by Miss Melissa (the other one being Hard Art 2: Envy).

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 8: Mooon
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
As usual the start may cost you a few tries, but after that you'll find yourself in the middle of an interesting technical fight.

This is my second Hard Art map based on a painting by Miss Melissa (the other one being Hard Art 2: Envy).

Description:
This is my second map based on a work by Miss Melissa, who also is a very good CW player.

Fight you way through the moons and intersections of lines to reach the totems. All emitters (of intensity 5) can be capped by just one blaster and will increase their frequency after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 minutes.

ARTIST: Melissa Dumais
TITLE: Mooon
MATERIAL: acrylic on canvas
YEAR: 2009
DIMENSIONS: 40.6 x 50.8 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 8: Mooon
Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

Based on:

More art:
See here for more maps about art (and jobs) ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Colin

This is hard, I keep starting out and dying. Hahaha  ::)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

UpperKEES

Yep, the start is tough, but an easy start means an easy map is my believe. Just keep on going, you'll be doing fine.

By the way: my time was set during testing (actually the first time I finished it after the final changes), so it's not a good one. Don't let it discourage people, because I'm sure 6-7 minutes can be shaved off. :)

Edit: typo.

SPIFFEN

I just have to say that i like the art Melissa makes ,
and you do make the maps look very well compared to the art =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: SPIFFEN on November 18, 2010, 02:01:50 PM
I just have to say that i like the art Melissa makes ,

Yes, I do so too. For others: you can find more art made by her here.

Quote from: SPIFFEN on November 18, 2010, 02:01:50 PM
and you do make the maps look very well compared to the art =)

Thanks Spiff! :) The picture on the right is how it's supposed to be. That way the moons also look a bit like a crazy cow, hence the title 'Mooon'. ;)

I had to rotate it 90 degrees however to make it match the CW screen. Like Hard Art 2: Envy it's really suitable for a CW map. I like the gameplay of this map a lot, although the start is a bit rough. I'll probably post a screenshot later on how to start very efficiently, but I'll let people try for themselves first.

Miss Melissa isn't able to be online for a few days now, but I'm sure she will also play the map herself, just like she did during testing (our finishing times were rather similar).

By the way: this is my last map using 'normal' backgrounds. From now on I will be using more advanced graphics.  8)

Colin

Last night when I tried, I had gotten to the point where I had
5 blasters and about 4.0 energy production. However that was
at 9 minutes so. . . You should know what happens then.  :(

I got overrun by the massive amount of Creeper as the rest
emitters kicked in. I never really had a chance anyway. Hahahaha ::)

UpperKEES

Spoiler
In that case one tip: try 1 mortar instead of 4 blasters and add 1 blaster later on.... ;)
[close]

tpatana

My start which seemed to be "ok"-ish strategy until ~ 10 minutes, was:

3 collector
1 power plant
1 collector
1 blaster + 1 mortar (build same time)

The blaster is able to keep the closest emitter from getting to base, and mortar tries to keep the incoming wrath at bay. From there I usually built 3-5 power plants more, and then mortar + blaster, and tried to cap the emitter. However, no success yet. Have to try again. Next idea to try is to replace the second mortar with a drone. That might help keep the creep off, while I build more blasters to cap the closest emitter. If I were able to do that, then I could populate the left bottom corner with power plants, and I think that'd be a key to victory.

I also have one hidden strategy I won't reveal yet, I want to try it myself. If it succeeds, I think that might be a key to quick victory (well.. at least victory, instead of crushed to bits)

UpperKEES

Spoiler
I build much more reactors in the beginning. I indeed build a mortar and a blaster a little later on, but I cover as much of the largest blue moon as possible with reactors before I advance. Then I build a second blaster and mortar and fill up the middle golden bar on the left.
[close]

snowmaker (JM)

I made a bunch of mistakes but I that will help when I try again. Nice map  :)

UpperKEES

Thanks JM, always nice to see you're still playing my maps, and even replaying them! :)

burguertime

If I may, I made two blasters by 2-3 minutes and started a mortar. Making reactors all along.

Measure the space you got to make sure you do not misplace a unit so it takes the space of two.

If you use fine control to cut the ammo packets when you think the blasters can hold with their stored ammo while the reactors finish, you can almost not worry about deficit.

Then I make two more blasters and secure some territory to build other than the moon you start on.

And while one blaster can keep an emitter in check, it takes three to really pacify an emitter.

After you get building space, make more reactors and more weapons and you are done.

(tried not to give away too much)
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Hi burguertime, thanks for posting! :)

Quote from: burguertime on November 19, 2010, 01:24:42 AM
If I may, I made two blasters by 2-3 minutes and started a mortar. Making reactors all along.

Spoiler
I think starting with only 1 mortar (after a few collectors and reactors) will save you more energy. One mortar consumes just as much energy per second as a blaster and if you place it well you can last a little longer with just one weapon.
[close]

Measure the space you got to make sure you do not misplace a unit so it takes the space of two.

Yes!

Spoiler
Moving Odin City a little also helps....
[close]

If you use fine control to cut the ammo packets when you think the blasters can hold with their stored ammo while the reactors finish, you can almost not worry about deficit.

True. Good tip.

And while one blaster can keep an emitter in check, it takes three to really pacify an emitter.

Spoiler
One blaster can completely cap them, but when there's still other creeper around (which certainly will be the case in the center of the map), the blasters will get distracted. Once the area is cleared just one blaster will do; until that time indeed better use some more.
[close]

Colin

Great map KEES, once you get a good foothold in the corner, the map becomes very fun.  ;D