Custom Map: Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor

Started by AutoPost, August 18, 2010, 08:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
This map is based on a painting by Alexander Betts (better known to us as NNR_Alex), who got inspired by the computer game Metroid Prime. I undid his work and turned his art back into a game again.

You'll be looking at your own hand through the X-ray visor. Literally a knuckle cracking map!

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
This map is based on a painting by Alexander Betts (better known to us as NNR_Alex), who got inspired by the computer game Metroid Prime. I undid his work and turned his art back into a game again.

You'll be looking at your own hand through the X-ray visor. Literally a knuckle cracking map!

Description:
This map is based on the painting 'X-Ray Visor' by NNR_Alex, who is not only an artist, but also a very persistent player of my CW maps.

Creating his work he was inspired by the computer game Metroid Prime. Main character Samus Aran can use this visor upgrade to spot invisible enemies, areas and items. It also allows her to see through human flesh, thus showing the skeleton of her hand when she lifts her arm.

Every 2 minutes (starting after 10 seconds) the visor will need to recharge. This will temporarily blur your vision, which can be prevented by using the appropriate equipment.

Your weaponry is currently not available however. Like in many computer games you start with an empty inventory. Besides fighting skills you'll also need some puzzle skills to gather all of it and activate the rift.

ARTIST: Alexander Betts
TITLE: X-Ray Visor
MATERIAL: oil on wood
YEAR: 2009
DIMENSIONS: 42 × 29.7 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 5: X-Ray Visor
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

More art:
See here for more maps about art (and jobs) ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Miss Melissa

nice painting Alex, i like that u were inspired by a game.   :)
i had lots of fun with this map. i kept restarting so i could get the best time possible for me.. sure i didnt beat ur score, but i think i did a pretty good job.  :P i wasnt so fond of it at first, but once i started to notice small things that make the map special and it became less nerve racking and certainly more fun. good job!  :)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on August 19, 2010, 03:15:23 AM
nice painting Alex, i like that u were inspired by a game.   :)

Yeah, that's what I liked as well and the reason I picked this one from his portfolio.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on August 19, 2010, 03:15:23 AM
i had lots of fun with this map. i kept restarting so i could get the best time possible for me.. sure i didnt beat ur score, but i think i did a pretty good job.  :P i wasnt so fond of it at first, but once i started to notice small things that make the map special and it became less nerve racking and certainly more fun. good job!  :)

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :)

NNR_Alex

I should take better pictures of those paintings, they're all kinda blurry.

Yeah this and the four others were inspired by just the rooms and hallways i was in all the time at the college as well as the metroid games.  We were given an assignment to look at the world through a different lens, more or less, and when infared was mentioned the metroid games soon popped into my head.  the Combat and Echo visor I figured would be hard to do anything special with so it was then thermal or x-ray, but overall I like x-ray the best, all the visors show off their features but x-ray does it the best.  If there was a way to make the creeper change color as it spreads that would have been pretty cool for the thermal visor, but oh well.

It's a little embarrising that i haven't beaten your map that features my own artwork, but i at least know I can hold my defense forever, going on the attack is a bit more tricky with timing, but that's my own personal problem with motivation, I'll do it one of these days.

RichieRich

Have to say I spent ages the first time doing this searching for some easy way to pick up the techs before concluding there was none  :P Then I decided the mortar would be the easiest to pick up becuase of the levels, duh. More time wasted.

Bravo UpperKees and Miss Melissa on the time.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on August 19, 2010, 07:25:07 PM
I should take better pictures of those paintings, they're all kinda blurry.

Yeah this and the four others were inspired by just the rooms and hallways i was in all the time at the college as well as the metroid games.  We were given an assignment to look at the world through a different lens, more or less, and when infared was mentioned the metroid games soon popped into my head.  the Combat and Echo visor I figured would be hard to do anything special with so it was then thermal or x-ray, but overall I like x-ray the best, all the visors show off their features but x-ray does it the best.  If there was a way to make the creeper change color as it spreads that would have been pretty cool for the thermal visor, but oh well.

I just did a quick search and it seems many more artist are getting inspired by their favorite video games, see here. I enjoyed using yours and creating something new out of it. I had to leave out some details to prevent the map from getting too busy for the eye, but I was able to keep the basics and concept intact. Unfortunately I couldn't do the nice transparent edges of the skeleton because my graphic skills are limited (and so are the options for a CW map maker). I also decided to make the map more symmetrical and centred; I hope you don't mind these alterations.

Quote from: NNR_Alex on August 19, 2010, 07:25:07 PM
It's a little embarrising that i haven't beaten your map that features my own artwork, but i at least know I can hold my defense forever, going on the attack is a bit more tricky with timing, but that's my own personal problem with motivation, I'll do it one of these days.

Nah, it's a pretty hard map. But I've mailed you some hints, so I'm sure you'll make it. Just let me know if you like additional tips or a screenshot. It's indeed all about gathering these techs, so if your find the right approach to that you'll be fine.

Quote from: RichieRich on August 20, 2010, 07:06:56 AM
Have to say I spent ages the first time doing this searching for some easy way to pick up the techs before concluding there was none  :P Then I decided the mortar would be the easiest to pick up becuase of the levels, duh. More time wasted.

Bravo UpperKees and Miss Melissa on the time.

An easy way? You should know by now that there are no easy ways to solve my maps! ;D (Except for The Artist, as proven by Miss Melissa.)

Spoiler
Mortars are indeed not very effective because the creeper flows back too fast.
[close]

Spoiler
Luckily you just need to build only one collector into the creeper for a very short while....
[close]

Fisherck

Finally! I poured a few hours into beating this map, but it was worth it. Part of my problem was, as I was playing this map, I would lose my concentration and... start thinking... about something...else... and next thing I know, I lost almost all my collectors cause the emmiters started and the blasters were not ready >:(. Oh well, that is because of my own issues and not the maps :P. I really liked the way you made the emmiters so they were basically crazonium walls, except you could connect over them. It was also very cool having basically three different parts of the map, and that each could only be touched by the Creeper that was in its own part. Great job 8)!
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on August 20, 2010, 05:10:15 PM
Finally! I poured a few hours into beating this map, but it was worth it. Part of my problem was, as I was playing this map, I would lose my concentration and... start thinking... about something...else... and next thing I know, I lost almost all my collectors cause the emmiters started and the blasters were not ready >:(. Oh well, that is because of my own issues and not the maps :P.

The smart readers among us will be able to conclude that deactivating weapons is wise, but reactivating even wiser. ;D

Quote from: Fisherck on August 20, 2010, 05:10:15 PM
I really liked the way you made the emmiters so they were basically crazonium walls, except you could connect over them. It was also very cool having basically three different parts of the map, and that each could only be touched by the Creeper that was in its own part. Great job 8)!

Thanks fish! :) I tried again to do something new (although I broke the promise I made after The Lifeguard to not make more maps with lots of emitters; just too much work to keep adjusting them).

UpperKEES

Because this maps seems a rather tough nut to crack (5 scores after 220 downloads), I'll post a few hints:

Spoiler
1. You have 10 seconds to pick up the Collector-tech, so hurry up and start flying!
[close]
Spoiler
2. The center area will clear itself after a short while (recharging the visor), so pick up some upgrades (and the drone-tech if you like) and get out of there!
[close]
Spoiler
3. Fly OC to the top left or top right corner (doesn't really matter which one).
[close]
Spoiler
4. Pick up the tech at the bottom and do the same for the other side.
[close]
Spoiler
5. Build a few blasters and fly OC back to the middle.
[close]
Spoiler
6. Use the blasters to protect against the visor recharges every 2 minutes.
[close]

Take it from there. More tips on request. :)