Custom Map #1403: Kerballz 2 Tweety space. By: Kerbal Kowbell

Started by AutoPost, June 23, 2019, 01:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1403: Kerballz 2 Tweety space

Author: Kerbal Kowbell
Size: 500x411

Desc:
Trying to find the way back to their own universe. The crew attempt a second jump at right angle to reality, but the particulate have managed to infect also this dimension. Just like in Twee space, familiar objects get distorted, including the blueprints.

Kerbal Kowbell

I had poked around with this map idea earlier, and decided to make it playable.
So it's a fun map with ships made for laffs and as a thank you for all those who have provided great maps and cool ideas here.  :-*

It's a toned down version of a map that took me over one hour to complete in the original.
Having the entire fleet wiped out not just once but twice might have been too much of frustration.
Even though I am certain some will find a loophole, and blitz it.
Most will not, and one hour is too long for a fun game.

Therefore I decided to tone it down a bit, it should be playable on about 30 mins on average.
To upload it I had to play it again abd got the time of 39.50, but made that game another play testing - not played optimally.
The best attempt I did was a bit over 25 mins - then again, not a fair time as I know the tricks of the map.

Spoiler
There's a loophole also in this map that will make it easier - if you dont mind having the HQ having to warp away.
So the daring player might want to try and experiment here.
It can only be done at the start, and that's what cuts down the mission time for me to abt 25 mins.
[close]

It still a bit hard in the start, but later when one have built up with a full fleet - endgame should be a walkover.

So level 'Kinda hard' /sliding toward Easy.

Ps:
Most ships are unique for the map, yet one of the ships resemble a design made by someone else.
I'm not really a copycat as I screendumped and remade it.
Feel free to post if you recognise it and I'll certainly add a heads up for that here.  8)
WBR
K Kowbell.

Edit & Ps2: One week later Angel5000 and Dumbha have actually beaten that time I got during playtesting the map.
So as I said at first, I knew some people would beat that time of mine.
Congrats to you 2 and all who do so later on! :)

Kerbal Kowbell

After exactly a week my map have been downvoted to the darkest pit in hell - I have no clue why.
I replayed it to see if anything had changed in any unwanted way since upload.
But no - it play as it should, and easy to win even when I did choose a very stupid start, 36 minutes.

What do you guys ask - you demand boring rectangle landmass, and standard ships used over and over?
Safe super easy start behind a barrier - so there's no challenge at all?

Sure it's you choice to rate it what you feel it's worth, but it need to be fair.
If no credit is given to the effort of design, ships and a lot of playtesting - we will not make any more.  :'(

And that's the case here, I quit, thank you KC for your nice game.
But I see I waste my time here, so it's uninstall time today to avoid any more frustration from unthankful players.
Make your own maps if you're so bloody good at it!  >:(

GoodMorning

Perhaps you might like to talk to Sorrontis - his maps are much harder than most, and have ratings that bring the word "crater" to mind.

Nevertheless, he's stayed, and made many a map that I enjoy. You are welcome here.

(And I do understand that feeling. But I hope that people who don't enjoy what I make will find something more to their taste.)
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

Quote from: GoodMorning on June 30, 2019, 07:52:52 AM
Perhaps you might like to talk to Sorrontis - his maps are much harder than most, and have ratings that bring the word "crater" to mind.

Quote from: Kerbal Kowbell on June 30, 2019, 04:40:15 AM
After exactly a week my map have been downvoted to the darkest pit in hell - I have no clue why.
[...]
If no credit is given to the effort of design, ships and a lot of playtesting - we will not make any more.
[...]
But I see I waste my time here, so it's uninstall time today to avoid any more frustration from unthankful players.

I heard my name? I've been summoned!

Hi Kerbal Kowbell,

I see you've felt the burn of the scoring system. I too felt disappointed at the beginning. All that hard work for a measly few points. But then, I remembered the most important part.
I made the maps for me. Only me. I upload them, and I've got a handful of people that play and like them. The rest, well, they'll take out their frustration by giving you a 1. It happens, and it tanks your score.

But, here's the kicker, the score doesn't matter (it's all imaginary!). It doesn't actually stop the diehards PF players from trying your map, or the ones that like your maps in particular.
They don't always comment, but you'll get plays.

Don't judge your ability by the number of plays and ratings you get - play to have fun.

My fun is to "suddenly" destroy everything the player has made, only to remake it 10 more times, and then, inching a win. Most people disagree.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Kerbal Kowbell

Thank you for the support guys.

Well my idea differs, I made the map for others to have fun with.
Thats why so much play testing ta make certain it could be played in several ways, having several open options and silly ship descriptions. :p

Sorrontis maps, yes those are hard but he still got 6, 7 and 8'ths. (among those I got downloaded and have completed.)
Lets see:  The one I did not like got a low rating of 6 from me it's 'Power strike' as it sent a stun so very early, and then way too much particulate arriving after only 30 seconds. The only way to play it is to sit in the bottom left corner building up, which I found less fun.
The others I likes and gave a 10 on 'Wrong side' 9 to 'Wrong turn' 8 on 'Unexpected aid' & 'Save us'.

So anyway, is my map hard? Not really if ppl just look at the map before jumping in.
The carebear that stomp flowers to death must be soooo obvious hint of a vanilla start point.
Now my effort is ruined anyway, here is the way to play for those who want to eat easy baby food for life without chewing.

Spoiler

So yes the carebear start give you AMP crystals early on, you can go energy and Mine discharger etc - one way to keep the enemy ship off is to choose Mine cannons as first choice though.
To do so you'll need to nab squarepants area, when the ship come looking for targets, it will end up in an endless loop there, pulling back when damaged, then to return.
And you will not even have to deal with it in the early game.

Here's another more interesting way of playing, its not one that give you the fastest time though.
Jump in at top right and get the stunner as first thing from start.
Then hit 'destroy' to jump with the HQ.
(It's also possible to get the Hystrix ship at the start, but you have limited use of it as it take so long to build.)

Jump in at Pirate bay get the energy mine, then mine a pod with the HQ while building one Omni and one Devastator.
After getting the pods and blueprint send the Omni to the Angry bird to get the blueprint and take out the particulate.
Then go with the HQ to the turtle, get the mine and place one Omni on the turtle head - it will retake the mine any time as the head is separated from the body it don't have much to mire and have plenty of energy.
But the rest of the turtle might be overmired by now. If you have gotten the Angry bird build it, as it got a Mk7 - it will take care of any enemy that come roaming.
Build 2 - 3 Omnis and send them to Squarepants - if you get a mine there you soon can build a Starfish, better than the Flyswatter as it got other weapons.
If not you might get another energy pod and start on a Crusty.
At this point, abandon Pirate bay - you can retake it later if you want to.
One enemy ship with a lather will arrive about now anyway and you cannot defend both at this point.
The other enemy ship might also come looking for targets now, its hard to kill.
But it got very little weapons, if it go for the HQ it's actually possible to just sit on an enemy mine with the HQ and let it shoot -especially if you pull it over land.
At around 4 minutes you should have 3 ships, enough to kill it anyway.
Now go take the carebear with the HQ- if you place it at max range the Ticon gun won't shoot.
Build the Turtle, the WC chair, Nyancat etc and go win.
[close]

Sorrontis

Quote from: Kerbal Kowbell on June 30, 2019, 01:06:03 PM
Sorrontis maps, yes those are hard but he still got 6, 7 and 8'ths. (among those I got downloaded and have completed.)

Look hard enough, you'll find 3's, 4's and 5's ... a whole bunch of them, in PF, but mostly CW3 :D
Ya gotta take it with a grain of salt, or if you're a weirdo like me, take it as a badge of honour. Still haven't got my 1-rated my with at least 10 votes. smh
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

As a maker of maps, you fall into the "creative" category - game developers, movie stars, artists of all kinds, etc...

As such, a large part of what you do need to be for yourself. As someone once observed "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time"

Rejection and criticism (fair or unfair) is part of the currency. That is why the KC developer doesn't look at his Steam reviews, why the creator of  Gemcraft locks his blog from comments, etc.

If you cannot handle rejection, it is probably for the best that you don't engage a wide and unselected audience with your creative gifts. While the Exchange will be poorer for not having your contributions, and some may regret not having more of your maps, your own personal well-being is of more importance.

We thank you for what you have contributed, and we'll be sorry if you stop, just because some don't like what you do, But you got to do what you got to do.

But please don't start calling the general populace by derogatory terms. That way lies a flame war and then no-one escape unharmed.

FOXX

Played it, Liked it. (I didn't use the start exploit)
A well thought after map with a nice custom made fleet.
Some more energy mines across the map would have boosted the score imo.
I rated this map a well deserved 8.

Greets
FOXX
(an here is hoping you make more maps)
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Kerbal Kowbell

Thank you Foxx.
I might be back if I get that puzzle map to work properly.
If so I turn it into a 3'd part of a series.

So lets see, meanwhile I recommend Aardvark123's map 'Good belathieour' - that map deserve the praise 'well designed'.