Multi-Select Box

Started by MaHoTex, May 21, 2011, 04:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaHoTex

A feature where you can select all units within a box would be great.  Hold the left mouse, make a box, anything in that box will be selected.  The current method of double clicking is fine for some things, but too often it selects way to many units and things get moved which do not need to be moved.

MadMag

agree, but this is a difficult thing to code..

UpperKEES

Is it? You'd only need a rectangle of full cells (no need for pixel arithmetic). Holding down for instance the Alt-key could trigger this behaviour.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Scoutzknifez

You can request a Map too be made by me in Creeper World 1 or Creeper World But, you must tell me what you want it to be like.

MaHoTex

Not difficult to code unless I am missing something. 

MadMag

knucracker

The biggest issue is what key to be held to allow dragging a box.  I can't just allow you to mouse-down, drag, release.  This is because that action marks cells for excavation.  Alt might work, but that doesn't work when the game runs in a browser.  Granted, I could blow off this feature for the browser based prequel game... but it still bothers me.

Shift and ctrl are already taken (you'll see ctrl in action soon).  There are plenty of keys left, but none intuitive.

The other minor issue is what unit will be the "first prime" (yes, a SG1 reference).  Right now, the first unit you click, or the unit you double click, is what I call the "First Prime".  This unit's menu is what is shown below.
This matters, because I have just implemented group actions.  Whatever you do in the control menu applies across the group.  If you drag select, I'd have to pick some unit (the upper left hand one probably) to be the first prime.  A minor issue, but just one more thing to be aware of.  If all units are the same type, then it doesn't really matter which is the first prime.

DarthVader12

This feature would be very useful.
Who cares about the browser.

PS: Could you update the training sim to the latest game fixes?

Spoiler
I love SG1!!  8) 8) 8)
[close]

ontheworld

Quote from: DarthVader12 on May 22, 2011, 09:34:31 PM
Who cares about the browser.

PS: Could you update the training sim to the latest game fixes?

From this post it seems you care about it.

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on May 22, 2011, 08:01:54 PM
The biggest issue is what key to be held to allow dragging a box.  I can't just allow you to mouse-down, drag, release.  This is because that action marks cells for excavation.  Alt might work, but that doesn't work when the game runs in a browser.  Granted, I could blow off this feature for the browser based prequel game... but it still bothers me.

Shift and ctrl are already taken (you'll see ctrl in action soon).  There are plenty of keys left, but none intuitive.

Not sure if you will use the Ctrl-key in combination with the mouse (I know about the keys), otherwise you could still use it.

Quote from: virgilw on May 22, 2011, 08:01:54 PM
The other minor issue is what unit will be the "first prime" (yes, a SG1 reference).  Right now, the first unit you click, or the unit you double click, is what I call the "First Prime".  This unit's menu is what is shown below.
This matters, because I have just implemented group actions.  Whatever you do in the control menu applies across the group.  If you drag select, I'd have to pick some unit (the upper left hand one probably) to be the first prime.  A minor issue, but just one more thing to be aware of.  If all units are the same type, then it doesn't really matter which is the first prime.

Probably the least confusing option would be to not show a unit menu at all when the selection contains different types of units. Just the general functions would do (de/activate, dis/arm, destroy).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Vexsin

Plenty of keys are available for a toggle box.

(Just an example)

Push B for box, and where the cursor is currently starts creating a vector box, push the B key again after dragging the mouse to create your vector box (round up to the nearest cells for the X1, Y1, X2, Y2) and then select all objects inside.

Anything to help reduce tedious multi clicking helps.

LanceChristophr

Not even just a box but what about a way that you can hold down a key and select exactly which units you want to select. Almost like selecting files on a computer you hold down CTRL and can select or deselect whichever files you want.. ;)
[◕_◕]
/[ ]\
UU

http://www.lancefama.com/

Grauniad

Quote from: LanceChristophr on June 06, 2011, 03:02:26 AM
Not even just a box but what about a way that you can hold down a key and select exactly which units you want to select. Almost like selecting files on a computer you hold down CTRL and can select or deselect whichever files you want.. ;)

You can already do this. It is on the "Help" somewhere.  Press Shift and then click on one or more units to "multi-select."
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

LanceChristophr

lol really!!? I only knew of the double click...  :o
[◕_◕]
/[ ]\
UU

http://www.lancefama.com/

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on June 06, 2011, 03:44:12 AM
Quote from: LanceChristophr on June 06, 2011, 03:02:26 AM

You can already do this. It is on the "Help" somewhere.  Press Shift and then click on one or more units to "multi-select."
controls tab under help

(why am I the only one who knows this stuff?)
We have become the creeper...