Packet Capacity Upgrades

Started by Measure, August 11, 2011, 11:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Measure

There is a hard limit of 60 packets per second? coming out of the ship. Typically this is way more than would ever be needed, but there are some code maps with gigantic emitters where more packets would help.

So my idea is to let each packet do more work with upgrades, where each packet has a strength of one now, maybe an upgrade could move it to 1.2 or 1.5 or 2.

Grauniad

There is a way to get more than 60 packets/second out of the LS.  If you have gem reserves in excess of 60, then for as long as you don't tap into the gem reserves, the LS can disperse as many packets as you have reserves. Needs fine manipulation, but it can be done.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

mthw2vc

Quote from: Grauniad on August 11, 2011, 12:18:21 PM
There is a way to get more than 60 packets/second out of the LS.  If you have gem reserves in excess of 60, then for as long as you don't tap into the gem reserves, the LS can disperse as many packets as you have reserves. Needs fine manipulation, but it can be done.
You only need 1 unit of crystal energy to remove the limit and disperse as many packets as you can afford to, but should you ever overspend your production and reduce your reserves to 0, never again will you be able to disperse more than 2 packets in one frame. The amount of crystal energy matters not, only that you have it.

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Measure

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 11, 2011, 04:06:30 PM
See here for more info.

Thanks for the link. As far as I can tell, nobody has suggested increasing the power of each packet, however.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Measure on August 11, 2011, 04:55:32 PM
As far as I can tell, nobody has suggested increasing the power of each packet, however.

That's actually an interesting thought....

Edit:

Fractions aren't an option however, so an increase from 1 to 2 energy per packet would be quite a lot.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 11, 2011, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: Measure on August 11, 2011, 04:55:32 PM
As far as I can tell, nobody has suggested increasing the power of each packet, however.

That's actually an interesting thought....

Edit:

Fractions aren't an option however, so an increase from 1 to 2 energy per packet would be quite a lot.

increase from 1 to 3, and cut packets/sec in half
We have become the creeper...

MadMurphy

I never noticed a limit on the packets. But I am a big fan of upgrades so I think this would be interesting.

Colin

it costs 80 techs to upgrade from 1 to 2?   ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

scoin

well then lets suggest it now because ive ran into emiters with over 100k output and could have seriously used either more packet production or increased packet limit and as it stands without the crystal as said its pretty much almost impossible to finish that level as you can barely keep the emiter contained to an area

Mister_Andy

While this upgrade would be cool, I found the tip there more useful :)
(having crystals = infinite output, so long as you have the generation to support it. I didn't notice this. heh.)

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: Mister_Andy on August 23, 2011, 11:16:28 AM
While this upgrade would be cool, I found the tip there more useful :)
(having crystals = infinite output, so long as you have the generation to support it. I didn't notice this. heh.)

That is extremely useful if you are good enough to not go into deficit (unlike me XD) or save crystal items until when you need them.

Fisherck

It also creates an interesting and unique tactic that could make for intersesting maps. 8)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Lord_Farin

Sorry for picking you back up on this, but why exactly aren't fractions an option?
I know that some structures will then be 'overbuilt' by some fractional amount, but this is insignificant with respect to the gain (if say, a packet would contain 1.2 energy). However, in-game mechanics shouldn't suffer.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

thepenguin

Quote from: Lord_Farin on August 23, 2011, 01:17:42 PM
Sorry for picking you back up on this, but why exactly aren't fractions an option?
I know that some structures will then be 'overbuilt' by some fractional amount, but this is insignificant with respect to the gain (if say, a packet would contain 1.2 energy). However, in-game mechanics shouldn't suffer.

maybe because virgil stores the "builtness" of a unit as an INT? (at least that would make sense for him to do)
We have become the creeper...