Repulors to relocated Greeper

Started by Ranakastrasz, May 27, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on May 31, 2011, 04:26:05 PM
I was thinking about something like this just last night.  I thought maybe a repuslor could have modes of operation.  Mode 0 might be how it is now.  Mode 1, might point the edge field inward.  Mode 2, might point the edge field outward.  Like so

Mode 0 (repulsor pointing up in this example)
^^^
^^^
^^^
^^^
^^^
^^^
^^^

Mode 1
>^<
>^<
>^<
>^<
>^<
>^<
>^<

Mode 2
<^>
<^>
<^>
<^>
<^>
<^>
<^>

Mode 1 is good for sending a single, thin stream up and towards something else (like another repulsor).  You could basically build a pipe with this mode.  Mode 2 is good for keeping things out of the beam.  Imagine if the beam were horizontal and creeper fell onto it.  This would effectively create a horizontal surface for the creeper to fall against.

These things would be a pain to implement, but might be very useful....

Not sure, but wouldn't the Creeper be able to fall downwards into the beam in case of modes 1 and 2? At least a little I would think, unless you make all 3 top subcells point upwards of course....

Anyway, I like both idea's (including the reversed maker) too! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Yes, the ends have to be capped to make things seal up completely.  This is part of the complexity in doing this.  YOu don't want to see the pattern for diagonal beams.

Another thing I am flirting with is the old idea of "pipes" that has been talked about.  This simplifies things a great deal while still providing an interesting way of getting creeper around.  The pipe pieces would be straight (horizontal or vertical), angles (any of 4 rotations), t-joint (4 rotations), and a 4 way intersection.  The field patterns for these pieces are easy to understand and use.  With these pipes you could build a real contraption to move anti-creeper around.

Of course, I just implemented vacuum mode on the makers, so even pipes might be necessary with this addition....

CobraKill

O Yeah! A vacuum mode is perfect. I think pipes would be a better medium then repulsars because the repulsars already have enogh options as is. Maybe have an extra tab before of after experimentals labeled pipes or something for them. Have the same stiff you have. My question though is what would happen withe evil creeper? Would it destroy it or let it flow or have a health. One suggestion for it would to make them somewhat transparent or have a button so you can see the greeper flowing. So Many options! So little time! What do you think?
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Ebon Heart

QuoteAnother thing I am flirting with is the old idea of "pipes" that has been talked about.  This simplifies things a great deal while still providing an interesting way of getting creeper around.  The pipe pieces would be straight (horizontal or vertical), angles (any of 4 rotations), t-joint (4 rotations), and a 4 way intersection.  The field patterns for these pieces are easy to understand and use.  With these pipes you could build a real contraption to move anti-creeper around.
wait, can't pipes just be made using shields? that's what I usually do.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

CobraKill

In game you can't make fields only in the editor

Krell

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 01, 2011, 11:21:09 PM
wait, can't pipes just be made using fields? that's what I usually do.

did you perhaps mean shields?

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Krell on June 01, 2011, 11:28:53 PM
Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 01, 2011, 11:21:09 PM
wait, can't pipes just be made using fields? that's what I usually do.

did you perhaps mean shields?
A: I thought I quoted that.
B: yes, I did mean shields. whoops... it's too late here.
EDIT: fixed. thank you krell.

CobraKill

IDK you have a good point I just want to move greeper around better  :P

Ebon Heart

just be clever. And you can indeed create fields outside the editor, what do you think repulsors are?! And I'd really like the ability to mess with the strength of repulsors... but that could ruin some of the up fighting maps. Maybe you can change how much they effect greeper?

thepenguin

Quote from: virgilw on June 01, 2011, 11:01:32 PM
Yes, the ends have to be capped to make things seal up completely.  This is part of the complexity in doing this.  YOu don't want to see the pattern for diagonal beams.

Another thing I am flirting with is the old idea of "pipes" that has been talked about.  This simplifies things a great deal while still providing an interesting way of getting creeper around.  The pipe pieces would be straight (horizontal or vertical), angles (any of 4 rotations), t-joint (4 rotations), and a 4 way intersection.  The field patterns for these pieces are easy to understand and use.  With these pipes you could build a real contraption to move anti-creeper around.

this is truly awesome!
We have become the creeper...

knucracker

You can crudely make pipes using shields and repulsors.  This can work if you have the space.  You have to create a corridor that is one cell big by flanking cells with shields (or using terrain).  You can then aim repuslors in certain places to push the creeper  through the 'pipe'.

The pipe 'units' would allow you to do all of this in a tighter space.  Each pipe would take up one cell, but force creeper to flow though only a single subcell of space (a narrow 'beam' of creeper).  Each pipe also would include internal fields that push the creeper along.  Similar to shields and repuslors, just much more elegant and compact.

At this point it is just an idea that _could_ be implemented.  In other words, I can see that I could create them and they would function.  What purpose they have in the game is yet to be determined.  Maybe they are cool, or maybe they don't help in game play and are just available in a sandbox mode for playing around....

CobraKill

Man, how do come up with this stuff! I have no where near your creativity.  :o And I have been called extremely. Anyways I think the pipe idea is brilliant if you implement it right.

Krell

Pipes I think would be better than sponge. Although I think they should be creeper destructible so as to make repulsors still serve a vital function.

knucracker

Yeah I think so too.  Pipes could carry anti-creeper all day long.  If a drone or creeper touches them, then 'pop'... you've got a leak in your pipeline.

Nemoricus

Pipes sound like a really cool idea, and I can picture people spending hours just playing with them.

A suggestion for pipes: Have the option to 'block' pipes, so that you can stop anti-creeper flowing through them. This would allow you to reconfigure the network without losing anti-creeper to the leak. Or do damage control when creeper destroys a part of the network.