after playing the game, what do you want to see in the editor?

Started by thepenguin, May 14, 2011, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 22, 2011, 01:51:23 PM
'm talking about situations where the Creeper flows in a natural way towards your structures, but you can't target it (yet), because you can't reach it. In CW1 it's possible to force the player to make a de-tour and hopefully intercept the Creeper somewhere else (or reach the emitter to cap it).

Well I'm pretty sure all can be done with a clever use of fields. You can e.g. make a moving field so all creeper on one spot is directly moved to another one. So to prevent this from happening you would need to take a route to that spot and make sure the creeper doesn't get there in time (by intercepting the creeper somewhere else or capping the emitter). That way the creeper wouldn't flow naturally but the effect would still be the same.

Ebon Heart

not everything, like I said, I still want a zone weapons can't move through/be built on... yet that allows creeper and packets through. I heard someone say something about a black hole like thing? that could explain it... any weapons that would move through there would die, so they'll act like it's an area covered by a dark beam.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 22, 2011, 02:38:49 PM
Maybe the ability to create terrain in individual subcells?

Yeah, something like this. Or even more precise (to keep map making simple): full terrain blocks (3x3 subcells) that allow Creeper to go through a narrow passage, like this:

RRR (R = rock, preferably non-decayable)
----
RRR

or

R | |
R | |
R | |

Weapons would be able to fire through them, but not move through these terrain cells. Both packets and Creeper can move through them.

Quote from: Sqaz on May 22, 2011, 03:11:08 PM
That way the creeper wouldn't flow naturally but the effect would still be the same.

This is exactly my point; I prefer a natural flow of Creeper that threatens the structures of the player and is relatively predictable (but hard to stop at certain locations). The elevation levels of CW1 provided this functionality (because the block size of 10 pixels was much smaller than the unit size).

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 22, 2011, 05:43:55 PM
not everything, like I said, I still want a zone weapons can't move through/be built on... yet that allows creeper and packets through. I heard someone say something about a black hole like thing?

That was a reply to a different suggestion by J: terrain blocks that can't be build on (on top of it).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

I keep laughing about this, it already is possible!

indestructable terrain block with fields on sides that switch :P

therefore, no packets or structures pass, but creeper (and possibly Greeper) can pass (you have effectivly removed the block from 2D space :))
We have become the creeper...

mthw2vc

That runs into problems. The creeper you have attached to the walls with fields will eat any friendly creeper that comes into contact with it. Weapons can fly past (although they would be damaged in the process), and the creeper you have there will attract both launcher and blaster fire. If you use friendly creeper for it, then any enemy creeper that wanders by will be destroyed and you can move units by without even damaging them.

UpperKEES

Exactly. The flow of Creeper wouldn't be natural either and there shouldn't be Creeper all the time; only when it reached that location.

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 22, 2011, 06:41:52 PM
Exactly. The flow of Creeper wouldn't be natural either and there shouldn't be Creeper all the time; only when it reached that location.

maybe my creeper dynamics needs a little work :)

mthw2vc

Something else I might like to see in the editor... The ability to flag a cell as "Inert" such that it is always unlit and is effectively a beacon-blocker on a LOS basis, similar to crazonium from game 1. This also has uses similar to, but not identical to what KEES is asking about now, as you cannot travel through it while creeper can, among other possible uses...

Ebon Heart

That's exactly what we need!!! And what I've been trying to describe! Weapons and packets won't go through it, but creeper can.

thepenguin

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 22, 2011, 08:24:10 PM
That's exactly what we need!!! And what I've been trying to describe! Weapons and packets won't go through it, but creeper can.

so, in a sense, ambient darkness, like the "ambient lighting" in the credits mission

Ebon Heart

I forgot the darkness in the game acts exactly like what I was trying to describe.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 22, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
Something else I might like to see in the editor... The ability to flag a cell as "Inert" such that it is always unlit and is effectively a beacon-blocker on a LOS basis, similar to crazonium from game 1. This also has uses similar to, but not identical to what KEES is asking about now, as you cannot travel through it while creeper can, among other possible uses...

Smart thinking! This could very well offer the terrain limitations I'm looking for without major changes to the game. Packets won't be able to go through these cells, but I can certainly live with that.

TypoNinja

The ability to string together our own campaigns.

I saw several series of custom maps made for CW1, the ability to somehow bundle them into a cohesive whole instead of them just being a hand full of individual maps would be really sweet.

J

I think Virgil have to set checkboxes in the terrain editor.
[] diggable.......................................cost [3^]
[] reflective.....................................angle [45^]
[] destroyable by creeper...................speed [slow^]
[] ....
image [...^] (when possible, some terrain blocks could have only one image)

In this way we could create our own blocks

Cotters

I'm looking forward to making background art!   :D
Just think of all the atmospheres that can be made in a game level. Fun times ahead.