Official Greenlight Topic for CW3

Started by knucracker, November 04, 2013, 02:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

This is the official greenlight topic for CW3.  I'll update this top post with any interesting information over the coming weeks.  

Nov 5, 2013:
CW3 surpasses 1000 Yes votes!  It did so in less than 24 hours after launch and on a Monday/Tuesday at that.  Now we just need about 10x that amount and I'll start to settle down :)

Nov 4, 2013:
The page is now live!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191501079
Please visit and vote yes.  It also helps to click the "favorite" and "follow" buttons.  And of course feel free to share the page using the social media icons for twitter, facebook, reddit, etc.

Feb 19, 2014:
CW3 is Greenlit!

florrat

The greenlight banner on the top of the forum links to the Knuckle Cracker main page. Intended?

Btw, is it possible for us ordinary voters to see how much votes CW3 has and where it is in the rankings?

knucracker

I'll post here with the stats after they have some time to fill in.  Since I've never done this before I am really surprised by the number of no votes that people make.  The average top 100 game has more no votes than yes votes.  That tells me that people vote no on game types that they don't like, not just on games that don't seem to be well executed.  Now, I don't think that no votes actually matter... Only the total number of yes votes.

To track in the top 100 games I need to land between 5000 and 10000 yes votes in the first 30 days.  I could swing that easily based on the number of CW fans... But only steam members who have purchased something can vote, and not all CW fans will vote or know to vote.  On the flip side the game will be exposed to plenty of new people through the process as well.

As for the forum header image... I'll try to fix that soon.  It was easiest to just change the one header image immediately.  To make the steam banner a separate item I'll have to manually tweak to theme.

eduran

Quote from: virgilw on November 04, 2013, 06:05:25 PM
not all CW fans will vote or know to vote.

How about adding a clickable greenlight banner to games main menu screen with the next official patch? That would reach all players, even the ones who are not reading the forums.

knucracker

That's a good idea...  so long as it isn't terribly obnoxious (something small) it might do little harm but do the game a lot of good.  On the other hand, it's impossible to buy and update the game without seeing the greenlight banner's on the website currently.

knucracker

When i put in my vote, there was no comments, now there's 60+.

Yeah, the comments a fairly healthy right now (I think).  I honestly don't spend a lot of time on greenlight project pages, so I don't know if this is a good number or not for the first <24 hours.  I recognize many names in the comments, though, so I appreciate the help :)

Stats wise I am starting to get a few inklings of how the voting works and what stats might be important to Valve.  We all know there are "yes" and "no" votes.  People also favorite and follow the game.  Those show up in the stats as well...  So if you have not done those things and are reading this message, I'd appreciate any clicks on those buttons you can give.

I can also see a line graph of cumulative 'yes' votes over time.  Each point on the x axis represents a day.  Now it looks like the day runs from midnight to midnight on GMT.  It isn't 24 hours from the point the project is launched.  Since I launched at around 2:00pm EST, I only had 5 hours in my first 'day'.  At the end of the second day I will only have 29.  If I had launched at 7:01 pm EST Sunday night, I would have had a full 24 hours in my first day and a full 48 by the end of the second.  This makes their line graph of cumulative votes difficult to compare to other games (they show several other anonymous lines for top ranked games).  Over time the missing 19 hours (in my case) becomes less and less important, but I've already learned one lesson...

Jacobkolstad

Voted yes. But do you have limited time to get enough votes!?
EDIT: You know what steam workshop is? Right? Maybe you could let players upload their CRPL scrips to the workshop?

knucracker

I don't think there is any hard time limit, but my guess is that steam still looks at the acceleration.  For instance, a game could accumulate 5000 votes very slowly over a year.  Another game could get 5000 votes in 30 days.  I imagine these games don't score the same.  On the other hand a game could get 2000 votes in the first two days, another game could get 2000 votes in the first 4 days.  Does that mean the second game gets half the score of the first game?  I doubt it, otherwise a game launched at 11:59pm GMT and an equal game launched at 12:01am GMT will have different ranks.

My guess is they look at cumulative yes votes at more macro units (like weekly).  Maybe the 30 day total is significant for rank, though, I see evidence this may not be the case.

As for workshop, I would integrate with that and other steam services if the game gets greenlit.  They have cloud storage, achievements, and all kinds of interesting things.

Jacobkolstad

Yeah, but the cloud storage is pretty troubling, if you launch the game on two computers at once, only one of the saves will actually be saved. And somethimes (REALLY RARE) the cloud storage don't work.

Achivements would be cool, like "Get ending 1 in Arc Eternal" or "Win as Skarsgard Abraxis on Arca" or "Complete Alpha Sector" etc.

Crimson King

Quote from: Jacobkolstad on November 06, 2013, 07:42:57 AM
Yeah, but the cloud storage is pretty troubling, if you launch the game on two computers at once, only one of the saves will actually be saved. And somethimes (REALLY RARE) the cloud storage don't work.
Steam won't let the same account run at the same time on two different computers except maybe with one or both in offline mode. If offline mode allows you to launch the same game on two computers at once, the machines that are offline can't save to the cloud anyways since cloud saving requires a connection.

If you don't like cloud saving and a game has cloud saving you can disable that feature. Right click on the game, select properties and click on the updates tab. There is a check box (enabled by default) that allows saving to the cloud.

knucracker

After 4 days (give or take), we're sitting at 2600 yes votes!  This currently is tracking almost identically to the current #100 game on greenlight.
Now is when the real work begins.  I encourage anyone reading this to tweet, email, facebook their friends with steam accounts and encourage them to vote yes.  Lets keep up the momentum and show the world that the strategy genre is strong and growing stronger.

Ninointeli

Quote from: virgilw on November 08, 2013, 08:12:18 PM
After 4 days (give or take), we're sitting at 2600 yes votes!  This currently is tracking almost identically to the current #100 game on greenlight.
Now is when the real work begins.  I encourage anyone reading this to tweet, email, facebook their friends with steam accounts and encourage them to vote yes.  Lets keep up the momentum and show the world that the strategy genre is strong and growing stronger.

Congrats man ;)
Best game ever I played
I definitely will post this to facebook,and twiter and all of that :)
"Reach for the stars!,And if you don't grab them at least your top of the world!"

Kilobyte

Hey,

Whats current vote count and stuff? Kinda interested to see how it develops on greenlight vote wise :)

knucracker

Here's a picture of the stats the Greenlight developers can see.

Now, if you take a look at that line graph it shows cumulative 'yes' votes over time for some games currently in the top 100.  Most (all currently in the graph) have been on greenlight for more than 30 days, that's why they stretch all the way to the right.  CW3 has been there 14 days.  Note that the end of the green line (the CW3 line) is flat.  That's because the end of the line reflects today's totals and today won't end until midnight GMT (and I took this screenshot with around 10 hours left in today).  In other words the last segment moves up over the course of the day as votes come in.

The 'yes'/'no' ratio is basically tied dead even.  Interestingly, this is better than the average.  My bet is that this ratio is highly influenced by the genre of the game not the execution.  I bet hot game genre's have a better ratio, and some other genres have a worse ratio.  In other words I bet a twitch FPS with multiplayer gets a very high yes/no ratio from the native steam audience.  Strategy titles have been in a lull for the last several years, but they are starting to come back as their fans have started to wake up and make themselves known.

One other note about that line graph.  They pick out the #5, #10 #15, #20, and #100th game to show the lines.  So over time games shuffle around and the lines change.  Currently, CW3 is tracking better than #15 and #20 game did at their 14th day.  But note, the #100 game has a line that reflected more yes votes and tracked higher.

Clearly, there are some hidden variables of considerable consequence in Valve's calculation of position.  Maybe crazy stuff happened after day 30 and isn't shown in the graphs, who knows.  In any case, I think we are doing fine so far. 

I'd like to encourage everyone to click both the 'favorite' and 'follow' buttons on the CW3 page.  Also, contact your favorite game review site and request they do coverage or a review on CW3.  Both these things may help bolster the campaign!

Jacobkolstad